What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

St Georgio

Juniors
What is his brother doing these days?
Sorry for late reply, I think Brian would be available straight up if McGregor was sacked round 6, Smithy could take over and March us straight into the playoffs.
With Mark Coyne there, there would be a massive chance one of the Smith brothers could be coach of the Dragons, if we missed out on Hasler or Cleary!

FlameThrower

Bench
I don't think the board would be in a panic yet, but let's revisit this after 4 games into the season. Win / loss and on field attitude is key. We start loosing games with blowout scores that spells trouble as the team have given up on Mary and came plan? Let's see what happens...I'm praying we dont fold and throw away the season....,

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I don't think the board would be in a panic yet, but let's revisit this after 4 games into the season. Win / loss and on field attitude is key. We start loosing games with blowout scores that spells trouble as the team have given up on Mary and came plan? Let's see what happens...I'm praying we dont fold and throw away the season....,

I agree with this.
As much as we all want McGregor gone, and sooner the better, the fact is that the CS is classed as a trial aa was the WT game where we did show some nice play.
The board, if even they plan to do anything, will leave any questions or decisions until at least 10 rounds in IMO. By then we would have a clear idea of where we sit on the ladder, a definite answer to our 'style' of play and our master coach excuses.
Like me, all of us want him gone and sooner the better, but the board is self indulgent and will also find excuses,particularly in the early rounds and there will be many. However, by round 10 they would have worn off and there will be nothing left for them to excuse.
If McGregor is punted, then im sure Hornby will get the caretaker role until they can ofdicially announce a new coach, more than likely towards the end of the season.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Widdop is supposed to be an elite playmaker, Mary is a problem but so is Widdop. Don't let him off the hook, he has not performed for years. Halves have come and gone but Widdop has remained and so have the same issues with attack.

To think Price shafted Soward for this rubbish.
Carlton

I'm just not so sure - I think Mary has created very stiff and very one dimensional attaching structures because he is a miserable, negative git who is trying to keep his job by playing it safe.

Having played a lot myself and even in business if you have a useless coach or leader you just cannot show your talent.

I don't think this is a form slump - it's a coach slump. I expect the players to try hard and that is what we can judge them on but if they are miserable and frustrated by a moron coach then you just don't bring your best.

Gareth67

First Grade
Carlton

I'm just not so sure - I think Mary has created very stiff and very one dimensional attaching structures because he is a miserable, negative git who is trying to keep his job by playing it safe.

Having played a lot myself and even in business if you have a useless coach or leader you just cannot show your talent.

I don't think this is a form slump - it's a coach slump. I expect the players to try hard and that is what we can judge them on but if they are miserable and frustrated by a moron coach then you just don't bring your best.

Very much so , there has been so much over the last few years that has disappointed me about the Dragons play . Whether it be the lack of spark in attack or the defence that at times , just seems to open up to allow the opposition to stroll over the try line .

But to me the most humiliating aspect , is watching our players walking around the park , as if they simply have no idea of what is expected of them . It is almost as if they have never played in the same team before . Sheridan Stand is correct , when he says that they are miserable and frustrated .

Those boys need a game plan to play to , as all teams do , regardless of how many star players that may be in the team. Widdop , well he is suppose to be the connection between the forwards and backs , it's just not happening and to make matters worse his form does not look as if it will get any better , in short , the man needs some time in the Cutters .

The Joint Ventures board should be concerned from the result of the C.S. Match , merely for the simple reason that each of us already realised - nothing appears to have changed from last season , nothing .

In the coming weeks , should the results and style of play be similar to Sundays game , we will know for sure that this shall be another year of misery . The quicker that McGregor is gone , the better the team will play . Should the board find the courage to sack him , and promote some one else , then things can only improve .

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
Carlton

I think you are right a poor coach is making the situation worse. However, I don't believe that Widdops form slump is because of the coaches game plans, running sideways and being indecisive are with the player. A poor coach or leader can harm a teams abilities but a player or employee does not lose all their abilities because of the leadership. We are not talking about motivation here we are talking about Widdops inability to perform his role.

Widdop has been very quick to blame Benji but even without Benji he has been playing the same way no matter who his partner has been. I think one of the coaches biggest shortcomings has actually been his failure to address Widdop's form. This should have been fixed two years ago. Players have been moved all over the place and played out of position but Widdop has stayed at 5/8 the entire time.

emu62

Juniors
Carlton

Agree Sheridan. Another thing in Widdops defence is generally on 5th or 6th tackle.We have asked no questions of the opposition's defense in previous tackles they are not back pedalling & their line is set as we play the ball. I can see whats about to happen & if a moron like me can see it obviously the oppositions defense can read it easy. Thus making it hard for Widdop or anyone to create something out of nothing
Both Widdop & Marshal showed their talent against Cronulla last year, when we were getting plenty of offloads & the defense was constantly back pedalling.
In saying that i don't believe Widdop is as good as i thought he was, but he certainly isn't as bad as others make out

Carlton

Juniors
Agree Sheridan. Another thing in Widdops defence is generally on 5th or 6th tackle.We have asked no questions of the opposition's defense in previous tackles they are not back pedalling & their line is set as we play the ball. I can see whats about to happen & if a moron like me can see it obviously the oppositions defense can read it easy. Thus making it hard for Widdop or anyone to create something out of nothing
Both Widdop & Marshal showed their talent against Cronulla last year, when we were getting plenty of offloads & the defense was constantly back pedalling.
In saying that i don't believe Widdop is as good as i thought he was, but he certainly isn't as bad as others make out

Widdop doesn't control the game, you need forwards to create space for the halves but the halves have to move the team around the park effectively. Jamie Soward was actually very good at getting the team where he wanted it, Widdop just hasn't shown that he can do this.

BennyV

Referee
I think you are right a poor coach is making the situation worse. However, I don't believe that Widdops form slump is because of the coaches game plans, running sideways and being indecisive are with the player. A poor coach or leader can harm a teams abilities but a player or employee does not lose all their abilities because of the leadership. We are not talking about motivation here we are talking about Widdops inability to perform his role.

Widdop has been very quick to blame Benji but even without Benji he has been playing the same way no matter who his partner has been. I think one of the coaches biggest shortcomings has actually been his failure to address Widdop's form. This should have been fixed two years ago. Players have been moved all over the place and played out of position but Widdop has stayed at 5/8 the entire time.
Did I miss something? I've seen this a few times, but I can't remember Widdop ever blaming Benji for anything...

Carlton

Juniors
Did I miss something? I've seen this a few times, but I can't remember Widdop ever blaming Benji for anything...

There have been a couple of articles where he has been quoted and has brought up Benji leaving and that he could now take more control and simplify the plays. He didn't blatantly say Benji was the problem that he himself wasn't performing but, that was how it seemed to read.

But, so that the gist of what I was saying doesn't get lost, ignore that comment, I'll retract it because it doesn't change anything else.

Gomarchin

Juniors
if we have a poor start I would hope Mary would step aside. He could do that and save a bit of face.
This will never happen. Mary has a massive ego and will blame everyone and anything for the lack of results. The guy is all about himself and the sooner he is out of the place the sooner we can begin to rebuild. We've just wasted another 3 years....

BennyV

Referee
There have been a couple of articles where he has been quoted and has brought up Benji leaving and that he could now take more control and simplify the plays. He didn't blatantly say Benji was the problem that he himself wasn't performing but, that was how it seemed to read.

But, so that the gist of what I was saying doesn't get lost, ignore that comment, I'll retract it because it doesn't change anything else.
RIghto. And yes, the failure of the coach to do something about Widdops style definitely comes on his list of failures.