What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have borderline personality disorder (BPD). AMA.

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.bpdrecovery.com/twisted-thinking

The Ten Forms of Twisted Thinking
From "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David D. Burns, M.D. :copyright: 1989

As you work through your recovery and become more skilled at using The Four Agreements and The Five Steps, you will find yourself becoming more aware of twisted thinking as part of your Borderline view of the world around you. These guidelines of twisted thinking from Dr. David Burns are invaluable to help you as your proceed on your journey of healthy, happy living.

1. All-or-nothing thinking - You see things in black-or-white categories. If a situation falls short of perfect, you see it as a total failure. When a young woman on a diet ate a spoonful of ice cream, she told herself, "I've blown my diet completely." This thought upset her so much that she gobbled down an entire quart of ice cream.

2. Overgeneralization - You see a single negative event, such as a romantic rejection or a career reversal, as a never-ending pattern of defeat by using words such as "always" or "never" when you think about it. A depressed salesman became terribly upset when he noticed bird dung on the window of his car. He told himself, "Just my luck! Birds are always crapping on my car!"

3. Mental Filter - You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it exclusively, so that your vision of reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that discolors a beaker of water. Example: You receive many positive comments about your presentation to a group of associates at work, but one of them says something mildly critical. You obsess about his reaction for days and ignore all the positive feedback.

4. Discounting the positive - You reject positive experiences by insisting that they "don't count." If you do a good job, you may tell yourself that it wasn't good enough or that anyone could have done as well. Discounting the positives takes the joy out of life and makes you feel inadequate and unrewarded.

5. Jumping to conclusions - You interpret things negatively when there are no facts to support your conclusion.

Mind Reading : Without checking it out, you arbitrarily conclude that someone is reacting negatively to you.

Fortune-telling : You predict that things will turn out badly. Before a test you may tell yourself, "I'm really going to blow it. What if I flunk?" If you're depressed you may tell yourself, "I'll never get better."

6. Magnification - You exaggerate the importance of your problems and shortcomings, or you minimize the importance of your desirable qualities. This is also called the "binocular trick."

7. Emotional Reasoning - You assume that your negative emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are: "I feel terrified about going on airplanes. It must be very dangerous to fly." Or, "I feel guilty. I must be a rotten person." Or, "I feel angry. This proves that I'm being treated unfairly." Or, "I feel so inferior. This means I'm a second rate person." Or, "I feel hopeless. I must really be hopeless."

8. "Should" statements - You tell yourself that things should be the way you hoped or expected them to be. After playing a difficult piece on the piano, a gifted pianist told herself, "I shouldn't have made so many mistakes." This made her feel so disgusted that she quit practicing for several days. "Musts," "oughts" and "have nospam46" are similar offenders.

"Should statements" that are directed against yourself lead to guilt and frustration. Should statements that are directed against other people or the world in general, lead to anger and frustration: "He shouldn't be so stubborn and argumentative!"

Many people try to motivate themselves with shoulds and shouldn'ts, as if they were delinquents who had to be punished before they could be expected to do anything. "I shouldn't eat that doughnut." This usually doesn't work because all these shoulds and musts make you feel rebellious and you get the urge to do just the opposite. Dr. Albert Ellis has called this " must erbation." I call it the "shouldy" approach to life.

9. Labeling - Labeling is an extreme form of all-or-nothing thinking. Instead of saying "I made a mistake," you attach a negative label to yourself: "I'm a loser." You might also label yourself "a fool" or "a failure" or "a jerk." Labeling is quite irrational because you are not the same as what you do. Human beings exist, but "fools," "losers" and "jerks" do not. These labels are just useless abstractions that lead to anger, anxiety, frustration and low self-esteem.

You may also label others. When someone does something that rubs you the wrong way, you may tell yourself: "He's an S.O.B." Then you feel that the problem is with that person's "character" or "essence" instead of with their thinking or behavior. You see them as totally bad. This makes you feel hostile and hopeless about improving things and leaves very little room for constructive communication.

10. Personalization and Blame - Personalization comes when you hold yourself personally responsible for an event that isn't entirely under your control. When a woman received a note that her child was having difficulty in school, she told herself, "This shows what a bad mother I am," instead of trying to pinpoint the cause of the problem so that she could be helpful to her child. When another woman's husband beat her, she told herself, "If only I was better in bed, he wouldn't beat me." Personalization leads to guilt, shame and feelings of inadequacy.

Some people do the opposite. They blame other people or their circumstances for their problems, and they overlook ways they might be contributing to the problem: "The reason my marriage is so lousy is because my spouse is totally unreasonable." Blame usually doesn't work very well because other people will resent being scapegoated and they will just toss the blame right back in your lap. It's like the game of hot potato--no one wants to get stuck with it.

Shorty

Staff member
I have just ended a very difficult relationship with a girl with this condition, reuniting is not out of the question but she needs consistent therapy sessions (on her own and with me) before we reach that point, I'm going to have a read of your links to help out with the break up.
Appreciate your contributions so much.

Patorick

Staff member
The causes of BPD are unclear. Historically BPD was seen as having ‘abuse’ as central to the cause. Most experts agree there is not one single cause of borderline personality disorder. As with most conditions, BPD appears to be the result of a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Genetic factors may include inheriting certain genes or personality traits, and there are a number of environmental factors that may play a role. The most severe may be various forms of abuse: emotional, physical and sexual. Loss and neglect may also be contributing factors.

However, some people with no history of abuse at all also develop BPD. The current theory is that some people may have a higher biological or genetic vulnerability to this condition, and adverse childhood conditions can increase the risk of eventually developing the disorder. The experiences of people living with BPD who have no history of experiencing abuse also indicate that there can be a very strong biological component to the condition. It is important to remember that due to biological differences, some children need much more support, emotional coaching and interpersonal validation than others. The emphasis of many treatments is to focus on the present-day realities and strategies to cope while respecting the role of the past in the person's life.

http://www.bpdaustralia.com/about-bpd/

Leber

Bench
Well done Pat. The most impressive thing about your situation is that you seem to be researching it yourself and actively trying to better yourself, instead of simply accepting the situation.

My ex fiance had BPD and she destroyed our relationship but not trying at all and playing the victim.

Mad respect to anyone with a mental illness who keeps on living their lives.

Patorick

Staff member
Well done Pat. The most impressive thing about your situation is that you seem to be researching it yourself and actively trying to better yourself, instead of simply accepting the situation.

My ex fiance had BPD and she destroyed our relationship but not trying at all and playing the victim.

Mad respect to anyone with a mental illness who keeps on living their lives.
Thanks Leber.

I'm trying to do as much as I can. I still have bad days. And nights. Yesterday some mates of mine were doing a bbq somewhere and I wasn't invited to help with it. For a few hours my emotions and bpd got the better of me and my feelings were badly hurt. They don't like me, they hate me, they're only nice to me because they feel obligated, I say inappropriate things, I make people uncomfortable, I'm not genuinely friendly enough, I'm too friendly too soon etc. Nevermind the fact that I already had yoga and a another bbq breakfast that morning at the beach, I wanted to go to the other bbq as well.

But, after a good chat with my sister, I realized if I went uninvited I would look desperate and needy. I found some other things to do, watched some tv shows, listened to some music and watched some NSWRL and NRL. And Manly won, that helped. The lesson is try (very hard) to extract yourself from the emotions and feelings you have when you are distressed. Let it go. Breath. Focus on what you can control. Everything will be OK, sometimes you just need some space and some time to work out what is going on and how you can make yourself better. It's really hard sometimes, but the more you do it and practice it, the better you remember it and it sort of becomes a little bit easier to do naturally.

You don't have to feel like a victim. You don't have to be a victim. People are not all bad. And they are not all good, either. No one is perfect. Accept other peoples imperfections and you will feel much better about yourself and your feeling overly emotional situations.

Patorick

Staff member
New Jets WR Brandon Marshall and his battle with borderline personality disorder

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...erline-personality-disorder-article-1.2141563

81518455.jpg

BY
Michael O'keeffe
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, March 7, 2015, 11:39 PM

When the Jets acquired Brandon Marshall from the Chicago Bears on Friday, they got a big, physical wide receiver who will immediately upgrade what was the NFL’s worst passing offense in 2014. The Jets also got a volatile athlete with a troubling past that includes domestic violence incidents, run-ins with police and conflicts with teammates.

Marshall’s problems may stem from borderline personality disorder, a disease linked to severe depression, mood swings, substance abuse and reckless behavior. The good news for the Jets is that Marshall has not only received treatment for the condition, but he has become an advocate for the mentally ill.

Football is still Marshall’s career, but battling the stigma that comes with mental illness has been his passion since he was diagnosed with BPD in 2011 at McLean Hospital in Belmont, Mass. Marshall has said he wants to raise awareness of mental health issues like Magic Johnson raised awareness of AIDS after he was diagnosed with HIV.

“Today I am making myself vulnerable to help others who suffer from borderline personality disorder,” Marshall said during a 2011 news conference he called to discuss his diagnosis and mental health struggles. “I have seen my life with BPD and how it played out. My goal is to walk the halls of Congress to fight for the insurance coverage for this, and walk the halls of the National Institute of Mental Health to raise awareness of this disorder. That is my mission moving forward. I love the game, but it’s not my priority anymore. Today my journey begins.

“I want to be the face of BPD,” he added.

Marshall spent three months at McLean in 2011 undergoing intensive evaluation and treatment. Dr. Lois Choi-Kain, the medical and program director at McLean’s borderline personality disorder unit, said Marshall should be applauded for going public with his mental health struggles.

“He has been very public about his diagnosis, and I think that is very positive,” said Choi-Kain, who has not met Marshall and was not involved in his evaluation and treatment. “It shows a lot of courage and it shows what he has learned from his own treatment.”

Borderline personality disorder may explain why Marshall may be the most intense player on the field one minute and the most lackadaisical the next. It explains why he could catch a league-record 21 passes in one game with the Denver Broncos in 2009 — and why he was suspended that same year for bumbling through practices.

BPD might also explain — but not excuse — Marshall’s ugly run-ins with the law and clashes with his wife, Michi Nogami, and other loved ones, most of which occurred before he received his diagnosis.

“Right now, today, I am vulnerable, I am making myself vulnerable,” Marshall said in 2011. “And I want to be clear that this is the opposite of damage control. The only reason I’m standing here today is to use my story to help others who may suffer from what I suffer from.”

People with BPD such as Marshall, Choi-Kain said, react to events with intense anger and rage. Relationships with spouses and other loved ones swing between intense emotions.

“They are either in a very good place or a very bad place,” Choi-Kain said. “There is no middle ground.”

BPD patients often engage in reckless and impulsive behavior. They frequently abuse drugs and alcohol, Choi-Kain said. They express suicidal thoughts, and sometimes act on them.

BPD patients, especially when stressed, struggle with self-understanding, Choi-Kain added. They can become paranoid and distrustful.

“They feel everyone is their enemy,” she said.

Regardless of Marshall’s history of troubles, Choi-Kain believes he can serve as an effective advocate for the mentally ill.

“Having someone who is so successful and skilled, having a person of strength publicly show that kind of vulnerability, shows that he has a lot of compassion,” she said. “It shows he has learned a lot from his treatment.”

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think my daughter has BPD she's only 7. The last 8 weeks have been the worst of my life, she went from loving coming to my house (I share 50/50 custody with her mother) to complete hatred of me and my side of her family for no reason whatsoever.

She is unable to describe why she hates us (her words) but she is completely co-dependent on her mother (who also shows BPD traits) and lashes out when I pick her up from school. The Criteria for Borderline reads like a glimpse into our world. I have had to reduce my custody to attempt to help her at least make it through school as the anger and panic attacks at night are uncontrollable in my home. I think she went through the same attachment issues on the other side last year, her mother would never admit this though sadly, but she had behavioral issues I wasn't seeing and she ended up in a psych's office as a result.

I have her scheduled to see a new person in April (earliest I could get) so I have to limit myself to day visits every second weekend until then. Which utterly breaks my heart as we have always been so close and she has lived week on week off with me since her mother and I separated when she was 2.

Sorry to hijack your thread, just felt the need to vent.

Could be mate but my fiancé is a primary school teacher and cases like this appear very common with kids between 6-9 or so.

Hope she gets better.

Patorick

Staff member
MYTH: BPD Does Not Occur In People Younger Than Eighteen

FACT: This remains one of the most persistent myths and misconceptions about BPD. Neither the new Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) nor the older versions of the DSM prohibit the diagnosis of BPD in people younger than 18. It is unconscionable for a clinician to not diagnose BPD when a person is seventeen years and 364 days old and then diagnose it the next day when he or she turns eighteen. The sooner the diagnosis is made, the sooner treatment can begin.

MYTH: BPD is a Rare Condition

FACT: BPD is not a rare condition. Many people have heard of schizophrenia, which occurs in more than 2 million people in the United States alone. BPD is more common than not only schizophrenia, but bipolar disorder as well. It is estimated that more than 14 million Americans have BPD, extrapolated from a large study performed in 2008. An estimated 11 percent of psychiatric outpatients, 20 percent of psychiatric inpatients, and 6 percent of people visiting their primary health care provider have BPD.

MYTH: Bad Parenting Causes BPD

FACT: Parents are all too often blamed for all kinds of problems in their children, but there is absolutely no evidence that bad parenting causes BPD. I don’t doubt at all that there are individual cases in which parents have aggravated their child’s underlying vulnerability. Nevertheless, the vast majority of parents we meet are loving, caring people who are at a loss for what to do in order to help their children. In the absence of any research data or clinical experience to support this idea, it is time to stop blaming parents for causing BPD in their children.

MYTH: BPD Only Affects Women

FACT: This is simply not true. In early studies of BPD, research found that women were disproportionately affected by a ratio of 3:1. More recent studies have shown the distribution between men and women to be about equal. Part of the reason this myth persists is that there is little research on BPD in men. One attempt at explaining the gender difference is that research on BPD is often conducted in psychiatric settings, and because women tend to seek help more frequently than men do, there tend to be more women than men with BPD in mental health settings, and so make it appear that more women suffer from this disorder. Nevertheless we need to make the diagnosis when appropriate regardless of gender and then provide effective treatments to both men and women.

BPD is a serious but highly treatable illness. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with BPD and requires help, there is no better time to start the healing process than right now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mclean-hospital/borderline-personality-di_b_14552874.html

Patorick

Staff member
Have you dont CBT, Pat?
Yep, CBT & DBT.

-----

What’s the difference between CBT and DBT?

CBT (cognitive-behavioural therapy) and DBT (dialectical behaviour therapy) are two forms of psychotherapy or “talk therapy.” In both, you work with a mental health professional to learn more about the challenges you experience and learn skills to help you manage challenges on your own.

Cognitive-behavioural therapy or CBT teaches you how your thoughts, feelings, and behaviours influence each other. For example, if you believe that people don’t like you (thought), you might avoid social situations (behaviour) and feel lonely (feeling). However, CBT teaches you how to use these relationships to your advantage: a positive change in one factor (changing a thought or behaviour) can lead to positive changes in all factors. CBT is an approach that has been proven by research to work for many different mental health problems, including depression, anxiety disorders, eating disorders and substance use problems.

CBT is structured, short-term, goal-oriented and focused on the present. It starts with education around the particular mental illness or challenge and how the illness or challenge affects you. Next, you’ll learn and practice skills and strategies like problem-solving or realistic thinking to help you make changes in your thoughts, feelings, and behaviours. You’ll learn how you can use your new skills to deal with problems in the future.

Dialectical behaviour therapy or DBT is based on CBT, with greater focus on emotional and social aspects. DBT was developed to help people cope with extreme or unstable emotions and harmful behaviours. DBT is an evidence-based approach to help people regulate emotions. It started as a treatment for borderline personality disorder, and current research shows it may help with many different mental illnesses or concerns, particularly self-harm.

Key differences between CBT and DBT are validation and relationships. DBT teaches you that your experiences are real, and it teaches you how to accept who you are, regardless of challenges or difficult experiences. Relationships are also very important in DBT—including the relationships between you and your DBT practitioner. You may have frequent check-ins to talk about any successes or problems. Treatment may include a mix of one-on-one sessions and group sessions. In addition to CBT skills, you’ll learn skills around managing your emotions, building relationships with others, coping well with problems or distress, acceptance, and mindfulness.

As with many talk therapies, it takes time and effort to enjoy the benefits of CBT and DBT skills. But once people master skills with support from your CBT or DBT therapist, they often find that their new skills and strategies become second nature—they are tools that last a lifetime.

http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/ask-us/whats-the-difference-between-cbt-and-dbt

Patorick

Staff member
I tried cbt. I didn't really stick with it tho
Once you get into it it's ok, it just feels really patronizing here and there. You just have let your negative feelings and emotions go. And focus on trying as hard as you can to just accept it and go with it. The more you do it the easier it gets and eventually you start doing it automatically in real life events.

Patorick

Staff member
Quite often and in many ways I feel as though I am a terrible human being. Behind every good thing I say or do, lies a bad thought or intention. That is just me, that is my life with borderline personality disorder (BPD).

Life often feels like a daydream of desire and obsession. The desire is mainly to do with objectification, beauty and perfection. Sometimes I cannot stop myself treating women and some parts of them like objects of my selfish desire. Even with that, I am drawn towards people who have strong values, are emotionally intelligent, disciplined and responsible. There are always imperfections, though, and for a fat rugged man I am very superficial. That leads to my obsessions and the never ending need for validation.

The reasons for BPD are many. There are genetic and environmental influences involved. There are events that occur during childhood play a role in the disorder developing. You are not in tune with people’s emotional needs or feelings. This has led to emotional, verbal and physical abuse. Loss, neglect and bullying also contribute. Relationships with partners, friends and family are very difficult and you always feel that people are going to abandon you. We are very impulsive and are very unsure of our identity, which in turn makes me more feel more inappropriate, disassociated, irritable and stressed.

I’ve been asked what are the causes of BPD? For me, there is always a feeling of overwhelming anger, fear or distress. There also fears of the consequences of our actions. This can be caused by instability at home, struggling with a personal issue or just stress in general. It can also be because of unjust abuse that you feel that you have copped, neglect that you have felt, or family grief. Knowing the difference between liking, loving and obsession helps to keep it in perspective. The big thing for me is handling what I feel is rejection (from friends, family, pets and people in general). Being nice, living well and not being overly desperate.

There are several treatments for BPD, such as dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), mindfulness, meditation, medication, therapy, books, podcasts and support groups (online and in person). Support groups are great, but you have to be your own personal 24/7 support group too. It’s no good trying to be a mental health advocate if I’m not managing my illness, medication, diet, exercise and life in general well. I can’t rely on other people to include me, look after me, cheer me up and make me feel better. That has to come from within. It’s not just about what is going on with me. Mental health is also about my family, my friends, associates and people in the community all together. We all have stories to share, places to be and things to do. Sometimes I get too focused on myself and the things I want to do, rather than family time, work commitments and recreational activities. You need to find a balance so that you can be happier, content, easy going, relax more, be on time, less tired and overwhelmed.

With BPD, it’s so good to be able to talk to people about it, explain what it is and how to manage it. But at the same time not get too overly personal too quickly, leave something to the imagination and not tell out your life story all at once. As interesting and captivating as it maybe.

Please just know that having a mental illness is not a choice. Dealing with it and managing it is a choice. lf my family and me can survive with BPD, you can to. What is stopping you? You are not helpless; you can learn to take care of yourself and your mental illness. It is not up to people to make up for what you did not receive as a child. That is not their job, it’s up to you. You are an adult and you can be ok. Please be honest, mindful, open, truthful and understanding.

Later,

Pat.

patorick@bigpond.com