What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop or Dugan? and who replaces them?

willzy91

Juniors
So its looking more and more likely that we won't able to afford both...with both wanting to close to 1 mil per year or more. We have to be realistic and say yes it is inevitable that we will loose one of them. So who do you want more to stay at the dragons? and if one of them does leave who would you replace them with?

I feel if we do sign only one of them, we will have the cash reserves to resign both Lafai & Packer. Or would you rather resign both Dugan and Widdop, and let Lafai & Packer go?.....tough situation for the Dragons right now, and i see why it is taking so long....they obviously want to have backup plans for any situation. AND i know we could have signed them for cheaper in Jan but at the point we were wooden spoon contenders and the market value was much lower for mid-high end players.

Crush

Coach
I am happy to just wait and see how it pans out with Widdop and Dugan.
I hope we keep them but it won't be the end of the world if they go.
Our forwards are our strength and Hunt coming will be great.

Dragon66

Juniors
I think we have to resign Widdop. I think he will be sensational next to Ben Hunt next year, plus he is a quality goal kicker. We have to keep Dugan unless we can find a suitable replacement and that's not looking very likely. Dufty sure isn't throwing down the gauntlet for a spot at this stage, and I'm not sure who else is worth the effort for the money that we would have available.

Losing Packer, Lafai and some of the others is not the end of the world. Host, Sele, Blake and Leilua are developing well.
Herbert, Garrick, Field and Thompson all have potential.

We need to keep our "Spine" together first and foremost, and continue to fast track the experience and potential of our young juniors and I think we will be right.

willzy91

Juniors
Yeah good option, has a good passing game as well.....do you think there isn't any options for a fullback within the club? dufty or fields or mann?

Old Timer

Coach
Thought this question had already been well and truly thrashed out.
Where are all the pro Dufty and Field posters?
According to many they should have already been in the side.
That being the case why would you want to waste money buying anyone to replace Dugan and Widdop who many thought were totally ineffectual and easily replaced anyway?
All of a sudden since we are ticking along ok the juniors don't need to get a look in anymore and its ok to go back to buying journeyman.
Honestly a few wins and all is forgiven and even more things that were said are forgotten.
This place is getting more like Hillsong everyday.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
A completely moot question because it's becoming bleatingly obviously that the Dragons will lose both players.

As for replacements, there's always the unknown/inexperienced route such as Dufty/Field, or the recycled avenue like Gordon/Foran.

Neither option is palatable though.

SGMax

Juniors
Suggesting we lose one to keep the other means that we have to give in to their demands.
Neither of these players warrant contracts near the $1 mil mark.
If one leaves then we should have some spare cash rather than re-assigning it to the other.

I agree with the prices that the Dragons have placed on their contracts and I don't believe any other club will offer them more.
If they leave it will only be the result of sour grapes and a huge sulk.
I'm starting to think its time to put a deadline on these negotiations as it may destabilise the team performances.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Suggesting we lose one to keep the other means that we have to give in to their demands.
Neither of these players warrant contracts near the $1 mil mark.
If one leaves then we should have some spare cash rather than re-assigning it to the other.

I agree with the prices that the Dragons have placed on their contracts and I don't believe any other club will offer them more.
If they leave it will only be the result of sour grapes and a huge sulk.
I'm starting to think its time to put a deadline on these negotiations as it may destabilise the team performances.

I'd agree with your sentiment provided there are commensurate replacements for the incumbents.

Unfortunately this isn't the case.

giboz71

First Grade
Ideally it would be great to keep both, but likely we'll only end up with one. If we lose both, then that's not ideal but, not necessarily the end of the world.

Firstly, Ben Hunt is coming next year, a proper, premiership calibre half. Anything we lose with Widdop, I'm sure Hunt will be able to make up for. Mann and Field and even Hutch would be options to partner him. I'll hazard a guess that whoever of those 3 partner Hunt, it will likely be an upgrade on what we have today (Widdop and McCrone).

As for FB, again Mann and Field would be options. Over the last 2 weeks, our attack has actually improved having Nighty as a stock gap FB. No reason Mann or Field can't do the same. If we have to go to market, yes a guy like Michael Gordon on a 1 year deal would be ideal (and the there is a chance that Steve Marsters will be our long term FB post 2018).

No point worrying about it to be honest. So much can happen in 6-12 months and I'm sure there are more twists and turns to come. I'm just enjoying the ride this year, and the fact we may actually be premiership contenders with our current squad, when most predicted the spoon for us.

Belta

Juniors
Success certainly puts players on pedestals, and others on the black list, I get the vibe through the forum that players not in FG have failed so far this year, perhaps they haven't shone in reggies, but sometimes it's easier to shine in a successful team, I still feel there are players who given the chance could have done just as well as their respective incumbents and, HELL we all know plenty of regular FG players who played shit for an eternity before finally hitting their straps, Don't get me wrong I'm on a high watching the Dragons this year but don't feel the need to slap individuals backs and plate them in gold, after all the way I see it the success has come from a TEAM effort, players feeding off each other...and others could fill in just as well.. Only my option

possm

Coach
Michael Gordon will be released as soon as Tedesco is announced next week by the Roosters - would sign him up in a heartbeat on a 1 year deal w an option - great defensive and attacking fullback for no more than $400k!!
I agree. If anyone should be let go it should be Dugan. By signing Gordon - if he is not retiring, we would have an effective, experienced fullback who can kick goals.

Then if Widdop leaves we have funds to buy a five-eighth and at least have an experienced goal kicker in the side. Maybe one of the Warriors coming off contract. I'm now convinced we need to ease our young guns in more slowly.

watatank

Coach
Ideally it would be great to keep both, but likely we'll only end up with one. If we lose both, then that's not ideal but, not necessarily the end of the world.

Firstly, Ben Hunt is coming next year, a proper, premiership calibre half. Anything we lose with Widdop, I'm sure Hunt will be able to make up for. Mann and Field and even Hutch would be options to partner him. I'll hazard a guess that whoever of those 3 partner Hunt, it will likely be an upgrade on what we have today (Widdop and McCrone).

As for FB, again Mann and Field would be options. Over the last 2 weeks, our attack has actually improved having Nighty as a stock gap FB. No reason Mann or Field can't do the same. If we have to go to market, yes a guy like Michael Gordon on a 1 year deal would be ideal (and the there is a chance that Steve Marsters will be our long term FB post 2018).

No point worrying about it to be honest. So much can happen in 6-12 months and I'm sure there are more twists and turns to come. I'm just enjoying the ride this year, and the fact we may actually be premiership contenders with our current squad, when most predicted the spoon for us.

Yeah pretty much what I was going to say. We have options either way. Don't think there's much point worrying about it. There's lots that can happen and happy to have this play itself out.

Would add that Nightingale probably will stay on an extra season and will become an option if Dugan leaves.

Latest posts