What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop or Dugan? and who replaces them?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Ideally it would be great to keep both, but likely we'll only end up with one. If we lose both, then that's not ideal but, not necessarily the end of the world.

Firstly, Ben Hunt is coming next year, a proper, premiership calibre half. Anything we lose with Widdop, I'm sure Hunt will be able to make up for. Mann and Field and even Hutch would be options to partner him. I'll hazard a guess that whoever of those 3 partner Hunt, it will likely be an upgrade on what we have today (Widdop and McCrone).

As for FB, again Mann and Field would be options. Over the last 2 weeks, our attack has actually improved having Nighty as a stock gap FB. No reason Mann or Field can't do the same. If we have to go to market, yes a guy like Michael Gordon on a 1 year deal would be ideal (and the there is a chance that Steve Marsters will be our long term FB post 2018).

No point worrying about it to be honest. So much can happen in 6-12 months and I'm sure there are more twists and turns to come. I'm just enjoying the ride this year, and the fact we may actually be premiership contenders with our current squad, when most predicted the spoon for us.

Regarding Mann, do you honestly expect him to stay after the disregard McGregor has shown him in a bit over 12 months?

It wouldn't surprise me if he leaves before the end of THIS season. You can include Havili too. It will be 'interesting' to see what McGregor does when the toll of a long season finally catches up to McInnes. Sure, he's playing well at the moment but I suspect that's got something to do with the novelty of playing for a new team. Whether or not he can remain an 80 minute player remains a BIG question.

giboz71

First Grade
Regarding Mann, do you honestly expect him to stay after the disregard McGregor has shown him in a bit over 12 months?

It wouldn't surprise me if he leaves before the end of THIS season. You can include Havili too. It will be 'interesting' to see what McGregor does when the toll of a long season finally catches up to McInnes. Sure, he's playing well at the moment but I suspect that's got something to do with the novelty of playing for a new team. Whether or not he can remain an 80 minute player remains a BIG question.

Well if there is any upside to Widdop and/or Duges leaving, there will be plenty of cash left over for the supporting cast. Packer, Mann and Lafai could potentially be re-signed. We could also look after McInnes and Thommo who are free agents after next year.

Mann would also likely to see more game time with Widdop and/or Duges gone next year. I think he is a good player and definitely worth keeping. If he was given the nod to play either 5/8 or FB next year, I'm sure he wouldn't let us down.

possm

Coach
I'd say Michael Gordon is our obvious solution if Dugan leaves. A one year contract with an option for another year should be enough time to see if our young gun fullbacks are ready for first grade.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'd say Michael Morgan is our obvious solution if Dugan leaves. A one year contract with an option for another year should be enough time to see if our young gun fullbacks are ready for first grade.

Mate, I think you mean Michael Gordon.
And no thanks to him, would rather have Nighty on a 1yr deal at f/b (cost us nothing given the long term player exemption) and re-sign Mann.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Well if there is any upside to Widdop and/or Duges leaving, there will be plenty of cash left over for the supporting cast. Packer, Mann and Lafai could potentially be re-signed. We could also look after McInnes and Thommo who are free agents after next year.

Mann would also likely to see more game time with Widdop and/or Duges gone next year. I think he is a good player and definitely worth keeping. If he was given the nod to play either 5/8 or FB next year, I'm sure he wouldn't let us down.

There's no doubt Mann wouldn't let the team down IF he received greater opportunities, however, McGregor has already shown his hand by discarding him for the ANZAC Day game in lieu of a misfiring Nene MacDonald.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mate, I think you mean Michael Gordon.
And no thanks to him, would rather have Nighty on a 1yr deal at f/b (cost us nothing given the long term player exemption) and re-sign Mann.

Re-signing Nightingale on such a proviso is a regressive step because there's no guarantee Saints will acquire an elite fullback for 2019.

No, he should be left on his much preferred right wing, and allowed to retire on his own terms.

getsmarty

Immortal
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/...reth-widdop-needs-bigger-dragons-offer/#page1

this report seems to indicate widdop will bolt not because of the actual $ but because of how his deal will compare to hunt who he thinks he is just as good a player as.....

that would be an interesting loss

Will the Storm pay him the same amount as what Hunt is getting? If I was a betting man I would guess that the deal may be heavily subsidized with Third Party Payments..

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Will the Storm pay him the same amount as what Hunt is getting? If I was a betting man I would guess that the deal may be heavily subsidized with Third Party Payments..

i don't think the storm actually compete very well with tpas as their local market still don't give a flying frog about rugby league.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
i don't think the storm actually compete very well with tpas as their local market still don't give a flying frog about rugby league.

Weren't TPAs a central figure in Melbourne being caught out rorting the salary cap?

I'd say a lot of local businesses have demonstrated their eagerness to help out.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think we have cover for Dugan's loss but not fro Widdop. A good 5/8 is hard to find and with Dufty, Mann and Field they have some exciting talent coming through at FB. Would hate to hold on to Dugan and have Field/Dufty go to another club and be the next superstar like Bird. Where as Dugan we have been there done that. He is not getting any younger and his injuries will be more regular the older he gets.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Weren't TPAs a central figure in Melbourne being caught out rorting the salary cap?

I'd say a lot of local businesses have demonstrated their eagerness to help out.

Yes tpas with another corporation that they setup themselves which revenue came from selling members a marquee...

Dodgy Fuchs

JDHD

Juniors
Suggesting we lose one to keep the other means that we have to give in to their demands.
Neither of these players warrant contracts near the $1 mil mark.
If one leaves then we should have some spare cash rather than re-assigning it to the other.

I agree with the prices that the Dragons have placed on their contracts and I don't believe any other club will offer them more.
If they leave it will only be the result of sour grapes and a huge sulk.
I'm starting to think its time to put a deadline on these negotiations as it may destabilise the team performances.

Considering the club stuck by Widdop after the shitshow that he displayed on the field last year and basically saved Dugan's career from his own idiocy, I'd say they should shut up and take the money. They've played well this year but ten weeks ago, no one wanted a bar of them. They win six games and suddenly all is forgiven? Last year demonstrated that they can't take a team by the scruff of the neck and make it competitive by themselves (like, for example, Thurston or Smith). Both Widdop and Dugan need a lot of personnel decisions to go right for them to succeed and if they don't stay, they may revert to 2016 form. I mean, imagine Widdop playing behind the pack at the Tigers. f**k me.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
So without naming names, possm, there are people on here that have been bagging our recruiting team for not getting widdop and duges signed in January this year then in the same breath say that we should sign Michael Gordon! A 34 year old fullback! The same people that say nighty should retire! The same people that say we don't promote juniors enough like field and dufty!
WOW, Michael Gordon hey.
That will do me.

John moz

Juniors
What a joke guys definitely no gordon we need to sign dugan asap and we have dufty .Let lafai go also and widdop we have field at no 6 next year he is also a goal kicker.

Latest posts