What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Western Force- Pirates?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They absolutely need to get into it. Souths have taken the plunge, but others and Wests in particular seriously ought to consider doing it as well given their name

They should be on the blower to Foxsports convincing them to move 6-8 Friday 6pm games to Sunday 6pm and then the WA Govt to get a sweet deal to bring those 6-8 games to nib (4pm KO WA time) and then on the blower to the clubs to find three clubs that want to commit to a min 2 games a year at nib for next 3 years. But that would require someone at NRLHQ to have an ounce of strategy about them, so don't hold your breath!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like the idea of a perth team and now might be a good time....but it might also be a better time in a few years when the economy recovers a bit.
A lot of businesses going broke and people losing their homes.
The opportunity to capture the public and sponsors might be better when things improve....this might be why the ARU pulled the pin... it certainly has alot to do with the government trying to sue , being the rainy day that the previous government didn't prepare for.
Also worth noting that the government won't be helping with any cash what so ever for a new sporting team since they have just now been burned.
Few years won't hurt. It might actually be worth a pat on the back to the nrl for not jumping in too soon or it could have been a perth rugby league team that is currently folding....

The reality for the Force was that they were absolute trash on the field for a decade and the ARU did not have the resources to help them out when they needed some support. Their losses where relatively insignificant compared to some NRL teams but they had no reserves built up for a rainy day at club or code level. They started with 20kplus crowds, 18k members and big corporates behind them for first few years and made profits. Eventually the novelty of watching them get beat wore off! Arguably they spend too much time worrying about grass roots and not enough building a winning team. Long term that would have paid off but medium turn it has cost them big as the ARU haven't factored this into their decision.

I actually agree re Perth, not because of what is happening here but because the NRL is so sht right now that I have no faith at all that they could provide the support and strategy a new club would need to get up and running successfully. Until the game is going better and we have new commissioners and CEO best keep away and leave Perth to the successful codes.

Diesel

Coach
If the Force win, RU goes to court and the lawyers get rich, if they lose, RU is even more rooted.

Would be interested to know what Forrest's thoughts on RL are

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

That's a great question. Im not so sure at the moment.

He has doubled down and threatened a breakaway union comp. The aru seems to be giving twiggy lip service till they get the force axed on Wednesday. Surely he knows the Aru can't run there own teams let alone financially support a secondary comp. The Nrl need to keep twiggy close and maybe get his mate Packer to give him a nudge. The force had good juniors but struggled with commercial funding. The Nrl need to shore up that side of the Warl business and getting twiggy on board (tinkler proof it) would fast track it. Twiggy has put all of his eggs in the force basket and at the moment from a PR point of view, he would look like an arseh0le if he jumped into the Nrl hands. If the decision on wednesday goes against him he might look the Nrls way. As long as the nrl doesn't try to take over/on the WA force and instead offers another sporting option twiggy would be all bluster if he doesn't except/support rl in WA.

RoosTah

Juniors
That's a great question. Im not so sure at the moment.

He has doubled down and threatened a breakaway union comp. The aru seems to be giving twiggy lip service till they get the force axed on Wednesday. Surely he knows the Aru can't run there own teams let alone financially support a secondary comp. The Nrl need to keep twiggy close and maybe get his mate Packer to give him a nudge. The force had good juniors but struggled with commercial funding. The Nrl need to shore up that side of the Warl business and getting twiggy on board (tinkler proof it) would fast track it. Twiggy has put all of his eggs in the force basket and at the moment from a PR point of view, he would look like an arseh0le if he jumped into the Nrl hands. If the decision on wednesday goes against him he might look the Nrls way. As long as the nrl doesn't try to take over/on the WA force and instead offers another sporting option twiggy would be all bluster if he doesn't except/support rl in WA.

That's a good point. Strategically it would be in his interests to show he's done all he can do before even considering the NRL, but if the ARU screw him and the Force over there could be no bigger "f**k you" he could send to them than to help start and NRL side and that may well prove tempting.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I wouldn't get too excited about Twiggy. Almost everyone knew the Force were going to get the ax for months beforehand and he never offered a cent then, but when the decision was finally made he comes in trying to be the white knight with massive offers that he knows will only weaken the ARU if they except.

Call me a cynic but this is more about Twiggy feeding his need for publicity and being seen as a hero of the people rather than any altruistic need to support RU or sport in general.

There would be no way he would actually give this sort of money to RU and definitely not league

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Rugby is a religion for people in New Zealand and South Africa who are usually one of the strongest teams. Even in countries whose national team isn't number 1 or top 3 as you say Rugby is massive there. I've been to Wales and it's a part of their life. Rugby teams rankings doesn't really compare with League rankings.

I understand the status of Rugby Union in Wales, England, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa and to a lesser extent France but these are the only major markets the game has. They can't afford for RU in Australia to go into such a decline, it would be a disaster for them and I can assure you that despite all of those other markets being healthy and thriving, the leaders of World Rugby would be very concerned about the state of the game in Australia.

Post 2003, Super Rugby and the Bledisloe Cup should have kicked on and become what the NRL and State of Origin are commercially. This is what the ARU and World Rugby would have expected. What they got instead would be of grave concern.

Last edited:

DlEHARD

Juniors
I wouldn't get too excited about Twiggy. Almost everyone knew the Force were going to get the ax for months beforehand and he never offered a cent then, but when the decision was finally made he comes in trying to be the white knight with massive offers that he knows will only weaken the ARU if they except.

Call me a cynic but this is more about Twiggy feeding his need for publicity and being seen as a hero of the people rather than any altruistic need to support RU or sport in general.

There would be no way he would actually give this sort of money to RU and definitely not league

Seems like it

Perth Red

Post Whore
I understand the status of Rugby Union in Wales, England, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa and to a lesser extent France but these are the only major markets the game has. They can't afford for RU in Australia to go into such a decline, it would be a disaster for them and I can assure you that despite all of those other markets being healthy and thriving, the leaders of World Rugby would be very concerned about the state of the game in Australia.

Post 2003, Super Rugby and the Bledisloe Cup should have kicked on and become what the NRL and State of Origin are commercially. This is what the ARU and World Rugby would have expected. What they got instead would be of grave concern.

In a reverse way of the situation in UK where RL cant grow due to the popularity of Soccer and lessor degree Union, Union in Australia faces those same challenges here in the face of RL and AFL. There are only so many sports fans, corporate backers and TV sets to go around. Not many countries have more than one or two hugely popular team sports codes. The very thing that gives it its success in UK (the upper class base of the game) is a hindrance in Australia where there is limited upper class.

Throw in the fact League is a much faster, tougher and easier game to watch and its not hard to see why Union has struggled so badly. Without either A) a massive TV deal or B) a massive fan base any sport is in trouble. Its what concerns me about NRL, all its eggs are in the TV revenue basket at the moment.

It's interesting that whilst there's undoubtedly an opportunity for the NRL in Perth, now the force are defunct. It's also possible this situation may hurt us in other ways.

Govt may be less reluctant to commit funds & fans might be less reluctant too. Fearing they'll get burnt but yet another "rugby" team.

Don't forget we also pulled out of there once before.

In some ways it may have been better if the force survived. We could've clearly showcased that rugby league was a better product & used their existing junior pathways to our benefit.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
It's interesting that whilst there's undoubtedly an opportunity for the NRL in Perth, now the force are defunct. It's also possible this situation may hurt us in other ways.

Govt may be less reluctant to commit funds & fans might be less reluctant too. Fearing they'll get burnt but yet another "rugby" team.

Don't forget we also pulled out of there once before.

In some ways it may have been better if the force survived. We could've clearly showcased that rugby league was a better product & used their existing junior pathways to our benefit.

I can understand that a little bit and yes the arl did leave Perth in the past. But the Nrl is committed to Perth in the long term and has admitted as much. Now most of us agree that we need a team now not later. The Nrl, I'm sure would happily sign a letter promising expansion in Perth and a license for forever if it meant wa gov promised grassroots funding/ stadium deals/ school deals/ corporate support/ fan support and a backing from twiggy. Most of those things need to happen for Perth to instantly be successful. The Nrl don't have $100mil to throw at Perth like afl has with nsw/qld. But a disgruntled twiggy could make it happen a lot quicker.

I can understand that a little bit and yes the arl did leave Perth in the past. But the Nrl is committed to Perth in the long term and has admitted as much. Now most of us agree that we need a team now not later. The Nrl, I'm sure would happily sign a letter promising expansion in Perth and a license for forever if it meant wa gov promised grassroots funding/ stadium deals/ school deals/ corporate support/ fan support and a backing from twiggy. Most of those things need to happen for Perth to instantly be successful. The Nrl don't have $100mil to throw at Perth like afl has with nsw/qld. But a disgruntled twiggy could make it happen a lot quicker.

I'm certainly not saying we shouldn't do it or anything.

Just saying it may actually be harder now, not easier as some seem to think.

The western Australian govt is furious. Won't be easy to win their trust.

In terms of twiggy, yeah if he was on board that would make things very easy. But we don't even know if he likes rugby league.

Given his work in Aboriginal communities the NRL may be a better partner for him though. ARU has little indigenous representation.

Diesel

Coach
With nib not being used as much, I'd think this would be a good opportunity for the WA Govt to approach the NRL

With nib not being used as much, I'd think this would be a good opportunity for the WA Govt to approach the NRL

Could strike a good rental but I wouldn't expect any huge investment in the club or stadium until they show a long term commitment. (Stadium is pretty good though, but I understand it's not fully finished?)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sports minister has already said they will look to nrl,as they are showing more committment than ARU. You are right about being burnt by both codes now and any support will surely come with cast iron guarantees about long term committment. Wa Govt will be desperate for another tennant for nib, No better time than now for the nrl to put a package to them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could strike a good rental but I wouldn't expect any huge investment in the club or stadium until they show a long term commitment. (Stadium is pretty good though, but I understand it's not fully finished?)

Yes it's only half way done but will be a long time until the govt spends another $100mill for a west stand and roof on the south stand. As is it still holds around 17k comfortably with a 21k capacity which is plenty for nrl.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Yes it's only half way done but will be a long time until the govt spends another $100mill for a west stand and roof on the south stand. As is it still holds around 17k comfortably with a 21k capacity which is plenty for nrl.

it would be amazing if the WA gov ended up sueing the Aru for the $100 mil and winning. The Aru could fund the upgrade for the Nrl.

The Nrl should be putting an expansion xmas list together and see what the WA gov/twiggy are willing to do. The Nrl have had there fair share of financially incompetent clubs. We don't want another one.

DlEHARD

Juniors
WARL need to get Pirates gear and memberships happening. Although ever since the NRL took over that was all shut down.

Latest posts