What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

colly

Juniors
VictorianS? We still doing that are we? Charming. No wonder most people outside NSW and Qld think that RL is full of dumb bogans.
Most Victorians wish there was no GWS, or AFL games @ ANZ anyway. We don't really care about AFL ''conquering'' NSW and Qld. We just want the best for our team. The AFL is national and its job it to grow their game. McLachlan is South Australian. Don't blame Victorians for the actions of the AFL and don't blame the AFL for the current position of the NRL. The blame for low crowds and poor stadiums lie with the NRL and its clubs.
Given that 90% of Sydneysiders prefer RL to AFL, but the Swans/Giants have the biggest crowds and memberships tells me that there needs to be a revolution soon or RL risks fading into irrelevance the way RU has. That Melbourne Storm is now the fourth biggest club (in terms of crowds and memberships) is an indictment on every other club - all of which are in RL heartland. The way things are going, maybe Sydney won't need any new rectangular stadiums.
Sorry for following more than one code of football.
Sorry for being Victorian. At least WE have our shit together.
Go the VictorianS, VictorianS, etc.

Jamberoo ( by the way a beautiful spot in the world) I apol to you and others You can't be blamed for where you are born and you had no say in it anyway.. I will not use the the phrase again.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Do cricket fans all over Sydney sook that a day out to a test match involves a walk or bus up a short hill and that Sydney's showpiece oval should be in the arse end of nowhere so that some people can get home slightly quicker?

So, youre aeguement is that ANZ gets people home quicker and SFS is a long way from central, but people should stop bein sooks...

adamkungl

Immortal
So, youre aeguement is that ANZ gets people home quicker and SFS is a long way from central, but people should stop bein sooks...

No, my argument is:
The value of having the showpiece stadium and accompanying big events on the edge of the city outweighs the benefit of a short majority of people getting home quicker from a stadium in the west. The negatives of the Moore Park location are vastly overstated and with the light rail project and further improvements to the site should a new stadium be built and some innovative thinking, these could be largely overcome.

Timbo

Staff member
No, my argument is:
The value of having the showpiece stadium and accompanying big events on the edge of the city outweighs the benefit of a short majority of people getting home quicker from a stadium in the west. The negatives of the Moore Park location are vastly overstated and with the light rail project and further improvements to the site should a new stadium be built and some innovative thinking, these could be largely overcome.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if there are people who expect a chairlift to from their front door to gate a of the stadium.

Even then they'd probably whinge about walking to their seat.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm seriously starting to wonder if there are people who expect a chairlift to from their front door to gate a of the stadium.

Even then they'd probably whinge about walking to their seat.

Those spiral walkways at ANZ tho... 600m walk from the station, 5.6km walk UPHILL to the seat ;)

Really though I don't think it's a stretch to call Sydney sports fans sooks.
I'm certainly guilty of bitching out of travelling to Olympic park for club games because I don't enjoy the travel experience, I know I'm not alone on that and obviously there are people who feel the same way about the SFS.

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
Yeah, its got nothing to do with the fact that ANZ stadium is built in a location for ALL of Sydney that has the best transport options when it comes to big events where Moore park cannot compare to it.
Nah theyre just whinging sooks.

This isnt about club games either. 100% id rather go to the SFS for club games because Moore park isnt a shit show with sub 20k crowds and ANZ for club games they run 1 express train to and from the game.
But when it comes to big events, there is no comparison. Moore parks location and infrastructure is poor and would never be able to handle it.

justdave

Juniors
Oh I agree that most people take Foveaux. If anything it's poor explanation on the part of the government and trust in how to best access the bridge.

And why bother pushing them down if they still want to do the old KB/Excelcior/Forresters/CA/Cook pub crawl on the way? As I said earlier, its a major intersection with lights and a perfectly safe crossing at the top of Foveaux.

Lived on the corner of Foveaux and Riley, in a shitty 'studio', for 5 years. Diagonal to Forresters, touch of class and take away on the other corners. Never saw or heard about one accident.

Easy and safe crossing there. From memory the one further up was a little trickier

The biggest issue I had was finding out the score from the winning fans as they walked back down the hill to Central before the delayed telecast. Loud merkins

Suitman

Post Whore
For the record......

C-4hTbdXkAA7sJ3.jpg:large

Just a photo of the whole area in general. The bridge, the under construction tram line, Kippax Lake and the other available space.....
Was just providing the picture as a reference.

Fair enough. Although they'll never go west of where they currently are, doubt they have the political will.

Personally I don't see the issue with building on the kippax lake site. You could get around the concerns of locals by making the existing SFS site into open parkland. Just trade one for the other.

Suitman

Post Whore
Fair enough. Although they'll never go west of where they currently are, doubt they have the political will.

Personally I don't see the issue with building on the kippax lake site. You could get around the concerns of locals by making the existing SFS site into open parkland. Just trade one for the other.

Agreed, it would be easy to pacify the local tree huggers with that sort of compromise.
Although, they'd probably insist on the lake being moved too.

Nerd

Bench
VictorianS? We still doing that are we? Charming. No wonder most people outside NSW and Qld think that RL is full of dumb bogans.
Most Victorians wish there was no GWS, or AFL games @ ANZ anyway. We don't really care about AFL ''conquering'' NSW and Qld. We just want the best for our team. The AFL is national and its job it to grow their game. McLachlan is South Australian. Don't blame Victorians for the actions of the AFL and don't blame the AFL for the current position of the NRL. The blame for low crowds and poor stadiums lie with the NRL and its clubs.
Given that 90% of Sydneysiders prefer RL to AFL, but the Swans/Giants have the biggest crowds and memberships tells me that there needs to be a revolution soon or RL risks fading into irrelevance the way RU has. That Melbourne Storm is now the fourth biggest club (in terms of crowds and memberships) is an indictment on every other club - all of which are in RL heartland. The way things are going, maybe Sydney won't need any new rectangular stadiums.
Sorry for following more than one code of football.
Sorry for being Victorian. At least WE have our shit together.
Go the VictorianS, VictorianS, etc.
We get you're upset but suggesting that RL risks going the way of Union any time soon is laughable. Just for the record the Swans/GWS don't have the biggest crowds in Sydney.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Honestly the proposed upgrade to SFS to a 55,000 seater with the clear roof, and improved seating plan moving fans closer would be superior to any potential ANZ redesign. Evidently Sydney needs a vast overhaul in terms of infrastructure and transport, that being said the cost to fix ANZ and the reality that outside of Origin and the GF it's not even close to half full is enough for me to support it's demolition. Honestly boost the SFS, make it a 60,000 seater if need be, but it's worth noting that bigger seating means f**k all if you only fill it 2-3 times a year. I'd rather 30,000 average like Lang Park with it's 52,000 capacity over 12,000/84,000.

In general though Sydney based teams need greater central planning, Wests are split between 3 stadiums, Parramatta can't do a whole lot right now given their old ground is gone and their new ground is 2 years out from completion, the Dogs are between Belmore and ANZ, Souths main support base out of Redfern is a 2km walk from Moore Park.

In general the teams in the West should be using the new Western Stadium once it opens, Easts & Souths should be using SFS, keep Manly, Cronulla, St. George and Penrith in their regional centres given the travel issues (although personally I think a stadium built between Shark Park and Kogarah would be a worthwhile investment). Centralisation is key though, a handful of the regional teams need to stay put given the lack of infrastructure, but most would do better with a permanent home ground, certainly the constant movement is a downside.