What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Clives for Billy Slater

Fangs

Coach
Slater didn't deserve it, plenty of others ahead of him that night.

But its a bullshit award anyway. Lost all credibility when they snubbed Fifita last year. Right up there with winning an Oscar. Or even worse, a Grammy.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Apart for when it really counted playing fot his country....
And when was that. You are still not on about 2008 when we lost the WC. you could also look at the penaltry try given by monahan, dropped ball over the line by lockyer. You gotta move on from the past.Sad to say NZ wanted it more than us.

Pedge1971

First Grade
And when was that. You are still not on about 2008 when we lost the WC. you could also look at the penaltry try given by monahan, dropped ball over the line by lockyer. You gotta move on from the past.Sad to say NZ wanted it more than us.

And the tri nations we lost. Dont worry I blame the other 2 plus more as well.

Slater didn't deserve it, plenty of others ahead of him that night.

But its a bullshit award anyway. Lost all credibility when they snubbed Fifita last year. Right up there with winning an Oscar. Or even worse, a Grammy.

What only last year? I think you haven't been paying much attention.

2015 GF - Won By Jonathan Thurston who admitted he didn't deserve it.
2014 GF - Won by Sam Burgess. Many people reckon Sam or George deserved based on what the7y did in the game.
2013 GF- Won by Daley Cherry-Evans. Yeah the turnstile who missed two crucial tackles which saw the Roosters score their final two tries (he missed Maloney in the lead up to the SKD try, and on SBW in the lead up to the Jennings try). Didn't want to give it to SBW, Sam Moa or Maloney who had far better games.

I could go on as there have been many a Clive Churchill Medal given where, in many eyes, it was not deserved.

Fangs

Coach
All very true. Though the real clanger was Fifita IMO.

In 2016, the NRL disgraced the name of Dally Messenger.

What a player.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Id thought Smith should've got it, but Slater had a good game. As mentioned there's been so others that have won it and were no-where near the best player on park.

LESStar58

Referee
Apart for when it really counted playing fot his country....

Yeah. Because coming back to score 2 tries in world cup final when you have a f**ked knee and no business playing doesn't count.

Jesus, mate. Your worse than all the chip on the shoulder kiwis who still have a superiority complex after 2008 and are still jerking off to that moment.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Yeah. Because coming back to score 2 tries in world cup final when you have a f**ked knee and no business playing doesn't count.

Jesus, mate. Your worse than all the chip on the shoulder kiwis who still have a superiority complex after 2008 and are still jerking off to that moment.

I grew up in an era where Australia never lost. It all changed when we gave Smith, Slater and Thurston the keys to the car.

Deal with it spud.......

King hit

Coach
Hard to argue with that.

Debatable, this greatest off all time thing is a pretty overrated statement. Unless you've watched every single fullback since 1908 how would you know who is officially the best. Slater is one of the all time greats but it would be interesting how he shapes up against Clive Churchill who changed the way fullbacks play and did some things Slater won't achieve.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Debatable, this greatest off all time thing is a pretty overrated statement. Unless you've watched every single fullback since 1908 how would you know who is officially the best. Slater is one of the all time greats but it would be interesting how he shapes up against Clive Churchill who changed the way fullbacks play and did some things Slater won't achieve.

So by your reasoning I guess, no one can ever be the greatest of all time because no one ever saw every player that ever played. Slater/Churchill would be a good comparison I believe. Both players have done things the other hasn’t.

Fangs

Coach
Yes there is no such thing. Best of lists and top 100s are just pure masturbation.