What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper Cronk, where will he end up, any clues?

Life's Good

Coach
True that true that. You guys have worked well with what you have. The only thing I could propose is to have a cap on TPA's however I think that is illegal as it restricts a license to trade. So the next best thing for me is to remove the cap altogether. Let them all run wild.

If they remove the cap there will be plenty of players available within a short space of time on account of about 4 clubs going belly up!

ouryear

Juniors
Why should ANY club be given MASSIVE advantages ...JUST BECAUSE they happen to be in the RIGHT area geographically?

There are wealthy business owners in the Sydney Eastern Suburbs, Brisbane, Melbourne for a one NRL team town...(and I would have thought Canberra too)

So like the world's starving millions, IF you are born in the wrong part of the world,
you are disadvantaged, and have about 20 times more chance of dying or not thriving.

The rest of the clubs fans are meant to accept this massive disadvantage?

Rugby league has taken on the same mantra as the world's lucky countries.

f##k the rest!

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer, that is pathetic in society ...and for league to say that clubs who happen to be located in good business areas... can therefore have extra millions to spend on players.....Mark my words.......

IT WILL BE THE DEATH OF THE GAME.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
If they remove the cap there will be plenty of players available within a short space of time on account of about 4 clubs going belly up!

Hahaha I know but at least it would be an even playing field in some regards. It would definitely test player loyalties.

Why should ANY club be given MASSIVE advantages ...JUST BECAUSE they happen to be in the RIGHT area geographically?

There are wealthy business owners in the Sydney Eastern Suburbs, Brisbane, Melbourne for a one NRL team town...(and I would have thought Canberra too)

So like the world's starving millions, IF you are born in the wrong part of the world,
you are disadvantaged, and have about 20 times more chance of dying or not thriving.

f##k the rest!

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer, that is pathetic in society ...and for league to say that clubs who happen to be located in good business areas... can therefore have extra millions to spend on players.....Mark my words.......

Sadly this is very true in regards to life and league.

ouryear

Juniors
I think part of this is that they're ruthless. They're very happy to get rid of players that are seen as surplus. They don't seem to have the philosophy of rewarding players for long service. Might be a a result of them not having the same idea of club identity, but it works for them.

No way that nightingale would be in their 2018 squad. Or Sutton.

But guess what?
They still DIDNT win the comp!!

Buy.....Buy..... Buy.....like a rich Hollywood dude or chick.......But you can't buy heart, spirit or pride.

Stick it up Politis and Co!

SBD82

Coach
But guess what?
They still DIDNT win the comp!!

Buy.....Buy..... Buy.....like a rich Hollywood dude or chick.......But you can't buy heart, spirit or pride.

Stick it up Politis and Co!
Ha. And I'm glad they didn't.

I guess I'm just jealous that they are challenging for the comp at least every couple of years. Wish we were too, and not always in a "rebuilding" phase.

possm

Coach
It's kind of hypocritical these days for us to accuse the roosters of buying and not developing players.

1. Dufty
2. McDonald
3. Lafai
4. Aitken
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. Mcinnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. JDB
14. Sims
15. Ah mau
16. Host
17. Field

The days of juniors dominating our teams seem a distant memory.
Sims and Ah Mau are local juniors who went off and played at other clubs and then came back.

possm

Coach
It's not the fact that they're buying juniors, every good team does that. It's the fact that they have one of the most star studded rosters in the competition and somehow have 800k salary cap space? I obviously dislike the roosters but there is no way that I'm being biased here when I say they're on a different salary cap to everyone else. A few months ago there were rumours of them struggling to resign their players and now they have 800k in the cap? Yeah nah. They steal every other teams talent. More than half of those players in bold wouldn't make the roosters top 17.
The player managers should advise the NRL their players asking salary. From that point on all Clubs must offer that price or higher. None of this Tedesco 1.2m and end up being only 700k on the Roosters books.

SBD82

Coach
The player managers should advise the NRL their players asking salary. From that point on all Clubs must offer that price or higher. None of this Tedesco 1.2m and end up being only 700k on the Roosters books.
Nice idea. Won't work in practice.

What if a manager sets a player's price at 600k and the highest offer from any club is 400k?

possm

Coach
Yeah. This.

f**k the roosters. But I wish our cap was managed as well as theirs. Also their transition of players from NYC to NRL shits all over ours.
Our Club spends much more of it's hard earned dollars on junior development than what the Roosters do. So it's a huge advantage against us and for the Roosters.

SBD82

Coach
Our Club spends much more of it's hard earned dollars on junior development than what the Roosters do. So it's a huge advantage against us and for the Roosters.
And the theory behind that is to bring the through the juniors so that they are cheaper for us and we build a strong squad mostly made up of local players.

It's not working.

possm

Coach
Nice idea. Won't work in practice.

What if a manager sets a player's price at 600k and the highest offer from any club is 400k?
It would be up to the winning Club to apply to the NRL for relief. But when Tedesco's manager is talking 1.2m and a few clubs were prepared to pay 1m and the Roosters register a 700k contract, that ridiculous. I've always held the view that the NRL and player managers should manage TPA in the interest of keeping the games marquee players playing NRL. Any other model makes a mockery of the salary cap.

SBD82

Coach
It would be up to the winning Club to apply to the NRL for relief. But when Tedesco's manager is talking 1.2m and a few clubs were prepared to pay 1m and the Roosters register a 700k contract, that ridiculous. I've always held the view that the NRL and player managers should manage TPA in the interest of keeping the games marquee players playing NRL. Any other model makes a mockery of the salary cap.
Sounds like an absurd amount of bureaucracy.

Every player manager is going to overvalue their players. Every club would have to apply to the NRL for dispensation for every contract.

possm

Coach

f##k the rest!

Don't get me started about disadvantaged people in the world. The same poor standard of living was there for the slums of London, France, Italy and many others until Government intervention. Poor countries are mainly poor because of corrupt Governments or dictators who refuse to honestly meet their obligations. This is what the United Nations should be dealing with not crazy ways to re-distribute wealth from Countries who are meeting their obligations to their people.

ouryear

Juniors
Don't get me started about disadvantaged people in the world. The same poor standard of living was there for the slums of London, France, Italy and many others until Government intervention. Poor countries are mainly poor because of corrupt Governments or dictators who refuse to honestly meet their obligations. This is what the United Nations should be dealing with not crazy ways to re-distribute wealth from Countries who are meeting their obligations to their people.
In many cases you are spot on Possum, many countries with some exceptions do have the money... if they distributed it evenly.

Either way, the league is like a corrupt dictator, allowing more cash to go to the teams and people ....that SUIT the leagues AGENDA.

That is....The storm and the Donkeys, and perhaps overlooking the roosters rorting because of politis.

Third party payments should be capped or put into a central pool of money.

It could then he distributed based on KPIs such as crowd behaviour, player behaviour, junior development, player development post football, your clubs comcoschoolmunity and school involvement, etc.

ouryear

Juniors
Ha. And I'm glad they didn't.

I guess I'm just jealous that they are challenging for the comp at least every couple of years. Wish we were too, and not always in a "rebuilding" phase.

At least Roosters came last in 2009 and almost last in 2016 :rooster::mouse2::rat:

Amazing, considering their set up and mountains of money!!

Just shows YA NEED HEART AND SOUL!!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

f##k the rest!

Canberra has a lot of big business type people but they only have taxpayer dollars........... which they have already maxed out their tabs.

I think the caps should all be the same, how or why should one team get more than another?

If anything, teams that have a good junior system should be rewarded and teams like East should have a reduced cap for the lack of juniors.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Just reading a piece from Andrew Webster in tonight SMH and he’s stated that Cronk IS going to be with a club next season but didn’t state who.

East must be firming.