What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel World Cup planned for Pakistan

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Should be "...its rules" and "...its name".

Anyway, comparing netball and basketball to RL and RU?! That comparison is way off, nothing like our situation. RU is the original code, they call themselves rugby vast majority of the time, it's the RWC not the RUWC. The BBC hashtag for RU is #bbcrugby, the BBC hashtag for RL is #bbcrl. It's World Rugby not WRU.

We said in 1922 we would change our name, it's not too late, twitter and facebook have only been around for 10 yrs. We came up with a totally different sport to RU, so therefore have to change our name, it's just stupid machismo to keep the name 'rugby'. The first RL int. was played in Aberdare, could use that, a sport similar to RL was apparently played on the beaches of Pembrokeshire way before 1908 too, could call ourselves Pembroke. But not frikin rugby.
Huddersball..

Coparugby

Juniors
Well that was an interesting night online. I see it made a few people very angry and brought information to some people who previously had no idea.

siv

First Grade
I can see where the confusion for Pakistan RL is occuring

IOC and Italian recognise the the Rebel Italians due to RU links. IOC wont change until Sports Accord recognition occurs

While the RLIF recognises the RLWC Italians

Messy

deal.with.it

Juniors
Should be "...its rules" and "...its name".

Anyway, comparing netball and basketball to RL and RU?! That comparison is way off, nothing like our situation. RU is the original code, they call themselves 'rugby' the vast majority of the time, it's the RWC not the RUWC. The BBC hashtag for RU is #bbcrugby, the BBC hashtag for RL is #bbcrl. It's World Rugby not WRU.

We said in 1922 we would change our name, it's not too late, twitter and facebook have only been around for 10 yrs. We came up with a totally different sport to RU, so therefore have to change our name, it's just stupid machismo to keep the name 'rugby'. The first RL int. was played in Aberdare, could use that, a sport similar to RL was apparently played on the beaches of Pembrokeshire way before 1908, so could call ourselves Pembroke. But not frikin rugby.
The majority of people don't agree with you...

Coparugby

Juniors
Might be time to ask the Italian pollie if he's corrupt or just PLAIN DUMB?
He’s a diplomat. He just presents what he is told to do. Hassling him serves no purpose at all. He has all the information now and will most likely be working behind scenes to ensure future sporting engagements with Pakistan won’t cause embarrassment.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Explain to the Pakistanis what the relationship is like between League and Union, use their and India's hatred of each other to explain it if they're too stupid to understand what being different means.

Its easy when they have clearly different names, hey.

Now imagine they were both called "Indiastan". Try explaining the difference between Indiastan and Indiastan; they share a boarder, culturally indistinguishable and they HAVE THE SAME NAME.

Would you blame people for getting a bit confused?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Its easy when they have clearly different names, hey.

Now imagine they were both called "Indiastan". Try explaining the difference between Indiastan and Indiastan; they share a boarder, culturally indistinguishable and they HAVE THE SAME NAME.

Would you blame people for getting a bit confused?
No idea what you are talking about, you are making up fairy tales..

siv

First Grade
Its a pity that politics has always been part of the RL landscape

Every 5 to 10 years we see it

From the Newcastle and Brisbane issue in the 20s to Vichy France of the 40s to South Africa in the 60s to Ribot/SL War in the 90s to the modern version in Italy and Greece and Thailand

While we have the likes of UAE Morocco Kenya and Pakistan being confused or siding with RU to get gov grants

But it seems start up countries are getting a ear from WRL that they cant find from the RLIF. Thats a important issue to address

So has anyone seen footage of the actual games supposedly played in Pakistan? Harder to fake that then two blokes talking for 2 mins (in front of a couple of conveniently placed posters and a handful of onlookers) about 'rugby league' or 'rugby 13'...

Pommy

Coach
Majority of people = people who already follow the game, understand the difference between RL and RU and dont care too much about RLs expansion overseas.

Do we really want to be listening to these people?

What the fans? Do we want to listen to the fans?

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
So can’t they just sue the shit out of them ? New line of revenue lol ?. It’s a shame would be great to see these countries playing the game with government funding.

So where to from here ? Very interesting to see this pop up.

Most fans probably shouldn't be listened to, most ppl are stupid, and certainly most RL fans are thick.

As Wayne Bennett said, "If I start listening to the fans, I'll end up there with them".

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Hahaha, if we always listened to the fans we would have Gus f*cking Gould as ARLC chairman, the NRL season would run for 50 weeks of the year and the Kangaroos would play only every hundred years or so...

Fans are short sighted and just generally thick. The ARLC shouldnt care about their opinions just as democratic parties dont care about their opinions (its the illusion of listening that matters).

Mob mentality is fundiamentally short-sighted and self-interested, this is why we have executives making the decisions that masses are too dumb to make.

So, no. I dont think we should be listening to the fans on this one. People who are already fans dont need a name for the game, they have their own nickname for it. Its the people would wouldnt get a vote in your strawpoll who need this new name...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So can’t they just sue the shit out of them ? New line of revenue lol ?. It’s a shame would be great to see these countries playing the game with government funding.

So where to from here ? Very interesting to see this pop up.

Obviously we are seeing Unions new approach to dealing with us...

Rather than trying to irradicate RL, they are trying to incorporate us as a sub-group or Rugby (like 9s, Touch, etc).

I do wish we would at least TRY to make this hard for them...

Latest posts