What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Langlands charged with child sex offences

OldPanther

Coach
I think that where a person who is held in a position of trust, is the perpetrator, would be far more devastating than what I experienced.

Hang in there buddy!

I was diagnosed with severe depression and social anxiety disorder a few years ago. I forced myself into fulltime work (I was going job to job for years) stable relationship and kid. Throw some football in there and life feels normal a lot of the time. I have moments I crash and get depressed and paranoid of everyone.

"Hang in there buddy"

You too.

M2D2

Bench
But I bet u know no rapists or pedos who have lied cause they dont need to. They use their power to belittle, intimidate, terrify and threaten the victim.

The point is society and the law has made it hard for victims to speak up immediately. So your healthy skepticism means what?
Im not sure i know any rapists, any one of my friends or acquaintances could be holding onto a dark secret that im unaware of. I do know alot of people who have been raped, some by family members when they were children, some by date rape, some by other methods, still doesnt change the fact i know two people who have lied about being raped as well.

I have no opinion on the length of time it takes people to come forward. Some people take longer to process it, some people CANT because they were a child when it happened, or it was done by someone in power that as you said use it to belittle, intimidate, terrify and threaten the victim... and i dont think (the length of time between incident and report) for a second it comes into play whether or not its a legitimate claim or not.
Im just saying you cant believe everyone 100% of the time as some people will lie,

Life's Good

Coach
I was diagnosed with severe depression and social anxiety disorder a few years ago. I forced myself into fulltime work (I was going job to job for years) stable relationship and kid. Throw some football in there and life feels normal a lot of the time. I have moments I crash and get depressed and paranoid of everyone.

"Hang in there buddy"

You too.
That is sh*t that you have experienced something as heinous as you did. As with VP you are doing well to keep it together.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Im not sure i know any rapists, any one of my friends or acquaintances could be holding onto a dark secret that im unaware of. I do know alot of people who have been raped, some by family members when they were children, some by date rape, some by other methods, still doesnt change the fact i know two people who have lied about being raped as well.

I have no opinion on the length of time it takes people to come forward. Some people take longer to process it, some people CANT because they were a child when it happened, or it was done by someone in power that as you said use it to belittle, intimidate, terrify and threaten the victim... and i dont think (the length of time between incident and report) for a second it comes into play whether or not its a legitimate claim or not.
Im just saying you cant believe everyone 100% of the time as some people will lie,

Sorry for mistaking your point mate. Yes people will lie but if there is encouragement to disclose early & a proper investigation I think it will lead to the truth 95% if the time.

Where we sit now is no victims will come fwd because liars (Brett Stewart case), people in power/laws (that merkin who raped a girl in the back alley of his dads club in the Cross - looking at u Nick Pappas) and pure fear stop them.

The system protects these pricks and it needs to change. Ffs the so called leader of the free world admitted it and got away with it! Nice message for your daughters eh?

M2D2

Bench
Sorry for mistaking your point mate. Yes people will lie but if there is encouragement to disclose early & a proper investigation I think it will lead to the truth 95% if the time.

Where we sit now is no victims will come fwd because liars (Brett Stewart case), people in power/laws (that merkin who raped a girl in the back alley of his dads club in the Cross - looking at u Nick Pappas) and pure fear stop them.

The system protects these pricks and it needs to change. Ffs the so called leader of the free world admitted it and got away with it! Nice message for your daughters eh?
Yeah, theres alot of problems with coming forward that i would like to see removed and encouraged people to come forward immediately. Dont know if that will ever happen though.

If he actually done this I'd call his disease cosmic justice

A few weeks ago a person i knew ended up on one of those a current affairs shows

The merkin was wearing a bowling shirt and trying to root a 15 year old girl he'd been trying to root for 2 f**king years over Facebook, showing off his probably tiny cock, he virtually admitted it on tv

To know that I'd met this foul merkin, shook his hand and bowled against is it bad that I'd love to see him die on the inside?

Even when you let the event wash over you (no pun intended since it never got to that "level"), the memory still lingers in the depths of your mind,

I had no desire to have the perpetrator charged or whatever because AT THE TIME.
I had no idea what to do. Empty and blank were the first things I felt immediately afterwards, Here's the details of which I'm now not ashamed to talk about,

After a morning of surfing 6 - 8 ft Cronulla Point on a miserable rainy winter weekday, my body said "I need to lose some weight", What does one do? Seek out the nearest toilet, usually a public one, When confronted with an erect c**k through what I know now as a "glory hole", accompanied by a red felt pen wrapped in toilet paper, alarm bells rang.

Forget wiping my arse.....I was out of there. Just one problem - iI was in the cubicle furthest from the exit so I was cornered by the dude who was of dark complexion, definitely adult and much bigger than me. Having this creep grab me and grunt is the creepiest shit I've ever experienced - being shot at included.

I took the chance and managed to make escape through pure agility and the perpetrator's state of undress.

So everyone on LU Forums knows as much as anybody else about this incident.

A sort of catharsis?
I hope talking about this has helped you deal with what happened

What a putrid sick merkin

LESStar58

Referee
That was just plain gutless. That is my biggest problem with Slaters claim to greatness.

That and the karate kicks...

Slater will take Chang's place as an immortal if there's any truth to the allegations and his greatness will be confirmed.

Also, Nightingale started the fight at Olympic Park when he headbutted Billy then had the audacity to cry like a little whipped puppy when he got towelled, Mundine should have passed to Tracey, Geyer's pass to Martin was flat and Harrigan made the right call.

Slater will take Chang's place as an immortal if there's any truth to the allegations and his greatness will be confirmed.

Also, Nightingale started the fight at Olympic Park when he headbutted Billy then had the audacity to cry like a little whipped puppy when he got towelled, Mundine should have passed to Tracey, Geyer's pass to Martin was flat and Harrigan made the right call.
Biting, kicking, dog shotting and cheating should stop that wank pheasant from immortality off morality is now an issue

He wasn't even the best fullback in his generation, only the least injured, he'd be forgotten of he'd had the injuries the great Snake had

Raiderdave

First Grade
Its a shame , he will never be able to defend the charge laid against him
Theres almost no chance the matter will progress any further either because he can't make a plea to the charges as he would genuniely be unable to understand them.
So the matter will be dropped & Changa's reputation in tatters in the process.
making me wonder why the Police would even bother , they have to take the complaint yes , but they have discretion in laying charges. If theres little chance , & in this case theres no chance of a conviction , why ruin someones standing & legacy.
Its so unfair , & unnecessary

Saxon

Bench
Its a shame , he will never be able to defend the charge laid against him
Theres almost no chance the matter will progress any further either because he can't make a plea to the charges as he would genuniely be unable to understand them.
So the matter will be dropped & Changa's reputation in tatters in the process.
making me wonder why the Police would even bother , they have to take the complaint yes , but they have discretion in laying charges. If theres little chance , & in this case theres no chance of a conviction , why ruin someones standing & legacy.
Its so unfair , & unnecessary

Actually, in QLD it's the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, not the police who have the discretion to lay charges. The role of the police is specifically to investigate, gather evidence and present to the DPP.
DPP then decides whether to proceed based on the Director's Guidelines; specifically Section 4:

4. THE DECISION TO PROSECUTE
The prosecution process should be initiated or continued wherever it appears to be in the public interest. That is the prosecution policy of the prosecuting authorities in this country and in England and Wales. If it is not in the interests of the public that a prosecution should be initiated or continued then it should not be pursued. The scarce resources available for prosecution should be used to pursue, with appropriate vigour, cases worthy of prosecution and not wasted pursuing inappropriate cases.
It is a two tiered test:-
(i) is there sufficient evidence?; and
(ii) does the public interest require a prosecution?

So presumably they felt there was not only sufficient evidence to convict, but that it satisfied the "public interest" criteria.

For:

5 (iv) Sexual Offences - Sexual offences such as rape or attempted rape are a gross personal violation and are serious offences. Similarly, sexual offences upon children should always be regarded seriously. Where there is sufficient reliable evidence to warrant a prosecution, there will seldom be any doubt that the prosecution is in the public interest.

Against:

5 (ii) Aged or Infirm Offenders - Prosecuting authorities are reluctant to prosecute the older or more infirm offender unless there is a real risk of repetition or the offence is so serious that it is impossible to overlook it. In general, proceedings should not be instituted or continued where the nature of the offence is such that, considering the offender, a Court is likely to impose only a nominal penalty. When the defence suggests that the accused’s health will be detrimentally affected by standing trial, medical reports should be obtained from the defence and, if necessary, arrangements should be sought for an independent medical examination.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Actually, in QLD it's the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, not the police who have the discretion to lay charges. The role of the police is specifically to investigate, gather evidence and present to the DPP.
DPP then decides whether to proceed based on the Director's Guidelines; specifically Section 4:

4. THE DECISION TO PROSECUTE
The prosecution process should be initiated or continued wherever it appears to be in the public interest. That is the prosecution policy of the prosecuting authorities in this country and in England and Wales. If it is not in the interests of the public that a prosecution should be initiated or continued then it should not be pursued. The scarce resources available for prosecution should be used to pursue, with appropriate vigour, cases worthy of prosecution and not wasted pursuing inappropriate cases.
It is a two tiered test:-
(i) is there sufficient evidence?; and
(ii) does the public interest require a prosecution?

So presumably they felt there was not only sufficient evidence to convict, but that it satisfied the "public interest" criteria.

For:

5 (iv) Sexual Offences - Sexual offences such as rape or attempted rape are a gross personal violation and are serious offences. Similarly, sexual offences upon children should always be regarded seriously. Where there is sufficient reliable evidence to warrant a prosecution, there will seldom be any doubt that the prosecution is in the public interest.

Against:

5 (ii) Aged or Infirm Offenders - Prosecuting authorities are reluctant to prosecute the older or more infirm offender unless there is a real risk of repetition or the offence is so serious that it is impossible to overlook it. In general, proceedings should not be instituted or continued where the nature of the offence is such that, considering the offender, a Court is likely to impose only a nominal penalty. When the defence suggests that the accused’s health will be detrimentally affected by standing trial, medical reports should be obtained from the defence and, if necessary, arrangements should be sought for an independent medical examination.

they're kidding then
what possible evidence could have have from 35 years ago except her statement
there were no electronic devices etc to back up anything she may have told the police

you can't obtain a conviction without either a guilty plea or the finding of a jury or judge
he can't plea ... some people are saying he can barely talk.
so thats out , meaning there can't be a trial for the other 2 options
so no conviction is possible

to charge anyone under these circumstances is an utter disgrace
he is defencless against these allegations
that is a travisty & not even remotely fair

Pedge1971

First Grade
Biting, kicking, dog shotting and cheating should stop that wank pheasant from immortality off morality is now an issue

He wasn't even the best fullback in his generation, only the least injured, he'd be forgotten of he'd had the injuries the great Snake had

Wank pheasant. Bahahahahah!!!

THE CHAMP

First Grade

Wow.

Saxon

Bench
In the past few weeks a lot of famous men have had skeletons roll out of the closet

Slater is a class 1A grub but nothing has come out about him yet

And Brett Stewart spent $2 million on a defence based on trashing the reputation of a girl and her father. If there are skeletons, I'm tipping they are buried closer to Manly than Melbourne.