What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Poms in US

Springs09

Juniors
Had to laugh at the boys on NRL360 discussing this the other night. No positivity whatsoever. Buzz yelling about the money going to a private promoter even though both the RFL and NZRL are being paid, and apparently not realising this private promoter is the bloke who is doing the 2025 World Cup. Kent whinging about a Josh Hodgson-like injury maybe occurring. Ikin somehow suggesting that the money should be put back into grassroots football in the bush??? Because an England v NZ test match in the USA should be making money for the CRL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Had to laugh at the boys on NRL360 discussing this the other night. No positivity whatsoever. Buzz yelling about the money going to a private promoter even though both the RFL and NZRL are being paid, and apparently not realising this private promoter is the bloke who is doing the 2025 World Cup. Kent whinging about a Josh Hodgson-like injury maybe occurring. Ikin somehow suggesting that the money should be put back into grassroots football in the bush??? Because an England v NZ test match in the USA should be making money for the CRL.

Get ready for a lot of this clueless crap in the leadup to the 2025 world cup. I'll bet that most mainstream media outlets and rugby league ''journalists'' won't even realise the cup is on in North America until late into the 2025 season.

jim_57

Staff member
But we tried taking Origin there once in 1642 and it didn't work, it will never work, it's a joke, grassroots, starving kids in Africa.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ikin somehow suggesting that the money should be put back into grassroots football in the bush??? Because an England v NZ test match in the USA should be making money for the CRL.

I made the same point.
When I was taking the piss on twitter weeks ago.
These dopes are so f**king predictable.

jim_57

Staff member
I made the same point.

The encouraging thing is these predictable dumbass responses are getting ignored more and more by those that matter, still not enough but it is getting better. Imagine the outrage 10 years ago if we took Origin games on the road for 3 consecutive years. Some people are starting to see there is a big wide world outside of their little insular bubble, those who refuse to leave the bubble will hopefully get left behind.

Springs09

Juniors
I made the same point.

I'm from the bush and currently in the process of starting a new competition in my area, so I'm pretty much the prime example of what they are talking about when they say 'the bush needs help'. But everyone from Sydney who talks about helping the bush seems to have no idea. No one in the bush is angry about English and Kiwi players playing a test in the US, it's more the playing a testimonial for 2 millionaires somehow taking priority over helping junior and bush footy that pisses some people off.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm from the bush and currently in the process of starting a new competition in my area, so I'm pretty much the prime example of what they are talking about when they say 'the bush needs help'. But everyone from Sydney who talks about helping the bush seems to have no idea. No one in the bush is angry about English and Kiwi players playing a test in the US, it's more the playing a testimonial for 2 millionaires somehow taking priority over helping junior and bush footy that pisses some people off.

"The bush" has become an empty buzzword for the media to attack the NRL. There are undoubtedly problems but the loudest voices on the issue don't know what they are and don't have solutions.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/07...ght-to-allow-russell-packer-manu-mau-into-us/

The New Zealand Rugby League will seek permission from the US Government to allow Manu Ma’u and Russell Packer into the country for the Denver Test in June.

Given both players have served time behind bars, strict US laws could prohibit them from playing in the historic one-off Test against England on American soil.

NZRL officials are well aware of the difficulties some people with a criminal record face in gaining entry into the United States and will soon send off the relevant documentation to ensure they are at full strength for the Test.

"We always seek appropriate visas and documentations when we travel," Kiwis team manager Nadene Conlon told NRL.com.

"We’ve obviously dealt with this in the past. We actually travelled through America in 2016 on our way to the UK and it wasn’t an issue then.

"We’ve certainly got that plan in the pipeline and understand what needs to be done and it will be worked through in due course. Once we know the team and who we will be dealing with we can get all those things in place."

Ma’u didn’t play with the Kiwis during last year’s World Cup and may pledge his allegiance to Tonga for the mid-season Test, however it is expected Packer will retain his position in the New Zealand side should he start the year in strong form for the Wests Tigers.

It’s understood Ma’u previously travelled through the US in 2016 when the Kiwis stopped over on the way through to the United Kingdom for the Four Nations.

Pommy

Coach

What about a JT type injury? Or do we ignore that because origin?

Springs09

Juniors
What about a JT type injury? Or do we ignore that because origin?

Yep.

Ikin brought it up later. I don't understand this injury argument. Is someone going to get injured on the plane? We have 3 other rep games playing in Australia that weekend, what's the difference? James Graham apparently has to get back on Tuesday and play on Thursday for the Dragons. It's not like every club has been losing players to Origin and then needing them to back up two days later for the last 40 years.

Pommy

Coach
Yep.

Ikin brought it up later. I don't understand this injury argument. Is someone going to get injured on the plane? We have 3 other rep games playing in Australia that weekend, what's the difference? James Graham apparently has to get back on Tuesday and play on Thursday for the Dragons. It's not like every club has been losing players to Origin and then needing them to back up two days later for the last 40 years.

Then the NRL shouldn’t have organised mid week games the week after an international break.

adamkungl

Immortal
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-match-and-rightfully-so-20180319-p4z557.html

I usually like Andrew Webster but that article is an absolute hatchet job, the bloke should be ashamed of himself for putting out such a sloppy turd.

"no matter which way you look at it, this match is an embarrassment for the game."

I don't even have words for this nasty line.

"People can keep hiding behind the throwaway line that it will "promote international rugby league"! That clubs who were never consulted about the fixture before it was announced are "self-interested"! That it will capture the hearts and minds of Americans ahead of the 2025 World Cup in North America!"

It will promote International RL. The clubs are undeniably self-interested. And it is the first stop of the 2025 WC promotional tour.

He uses medical difficulties from Mexico City's 1968 Olympics, with an extra 600m of elevation and FIFTY YEARS backwards in sport science.

He uses Denver Broncos as a negative example, somehow managing to ignore that professional sport is played in Denver across every major American sport weekly without issue.

Then the 2 day turnaround myth. This game is played on a SUNDAY. The same day NRL matches are normally played. A plane trip is not some gruelling slog. Every other sport on earth manages to achieve this.

What an absolutely dickheaded article.

Post your comments on SMH if you give a shit.

Springs09

Juniors
I highly doubt that Olympic athletes were gasping for air at 2200m from walking up a hotel. That's as high as Kosciuszko and last time I went there there were fat kids walking up it no problem. At over 4000m in Peru I'd be out of breath if I ran up stairs but other than that fine.

PNG has a team in their top league that plays at 2000m. I'm sure our state-of-the-art training in the NRL has our professional athletes more equipped to handle altitude than boys from PNG.

adamkungl

Immortal
it's such a laughably bad article. I have to re-post my comments on SMH without saying 'Webster should be ashamed to have his name on such a sloppy turd of an article" to get them published I guess.

Springs09

Juniors
I don't get journalism. Do they have to do 4 years of uni just so they can post dribble on news sites?

Burns

First Grade
Andrew Webster's article didn't make me angry or frustrated, but just sad. Have yet to seen an Aussie journo get behind the idea and concept. Why is it so hard to be upbeat and positive about rugby league?

All the points made by Webster et al, can be rebutted by State of Origin. 'Whataboutism' is a poor argument to make but in this instance it is perfect.

Latest posts