What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Poms in US

roughyedspud

Coach
We're just getting on with it...as usual.

I hope some of our England test players collect air miles lol..

Some players have flown to Sydney and back for the Samoa test,to Australia,round Australia and over to nz for the WC and back to the UK,back to Sydney for the WCC....and now off to Denver and back....all in the space of 12months...they've probably flown round the world 2 or 3 times..

NRL clubs should be more worried about planes crashing than bloody altitude sickness lol

Burns

First Grade
NRL360 are going to cover this 'Risky Business' tonight, will report back with what they say.

Burns

First Grade
Paul Kent: "If they were playing this in Melbourne or Townsville it would be fine"

Paul Crawley and Ben Ikin are very supportive. Crawley and Ikin being amazing. Kent saying Denver is pointless and wont achieve anything, that the promoter is dodgy.

Crawley and Ikin raised State of Origin but Denver is different to Ikin because "reasons". Crawley said try telling James Graham/Burgess/Widdop that it shouldn't go ahead.

So that went better then what I thought.

Paul Kent: "If they were playing this in Melbourne or Townsville it would be fine"

Paul Crawley and Ben Ikin are very supportive. Crawley and Ikin being amazing. Kent saying Denver is pointless and wont achieve anything, that the promoter is dodgy.

Crawley and Ikin raised State of Origin but Denver is different to Ikin because "reasons". Crawley said try telling James Graham/Burgess/Widdop that it shouldn't go ahead.

So that went better then what I thought.
f**k they are thick that bunch. :joy:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thats a weird comment from Kent. It would be pointless playing it in Townsville or Melbourne. At least Ikin and Crawley like the idea of promoting the game.

deluded pom?

Coach
We're just getting on with it...as usual.

I hope some of our England test players collect air miles lol..

Some players have flown to Sydney and back for the Samoa test,to Australia,round Australia and over to nz for the WC and back to the UK,back to Sydney for the WCC....and now off to Denver and back....all in the space of 12months...they've probably flown round the world 2 or 3 times..

NRL clubs should be more worried about planes crashing than bloody altitude sickness lol
I'm surprised some "journalist" doesn't think the players may get altitude sickness whilst 30,000 feet in the air.

deluded pom?

Coach
Has anyone from the NRL or the RLPA whinged about the conditions and player welfare during the Manly and Parra game played in at the weekend?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
RL Journalists:
- RU is expanding globally and RL is not - we need to get serious about growing the game.
- AFL has taken a game to China, what are we doing to grow the game?

Also RL Journalists (usually the same ones):
- RL international in Denver shouldn't go ahead
- The RLWC is a joke / farce, we may as well just play a tri-nations instead

They contradict themselves with their dribble all the time. Wait for the crap that will be published when the mainstream media catches on to the fact that we are hosting a WC in North America in 2025. Any other sport would be lauded for it... bold, adventurous, growth-minded etc. We will be ridiculed and lampooned. All I can hope is that Moore and the RLIF pull off a cracker of a WC so they can shut up forever.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I agree with Kent that it's a stupid idea but probably for very different reasons to him...

You can't have organisations taking the employees of another organisation without their permission and using them for their will, it sets a terrible precedent.

I mean does anybody here own and/or operate a business?

What would you do if you worked in an industry where your employees or equipment can just be taken and used by a competitor (and in your busiest period) without compensation and with support of the government? You'd leave that industry that's what you'd do, you'd get out of there as quickly as possible and move on to greener pastures where people can't screw with your business willy nilly. It's called capital flight, it's screwed many a country or industry that has f##ked around with this sort of stuff.

And what happens when another cashed up promoter smells money and wants to play a game in China in April? What legs would the RLIF and the national leagues have to stand on if they turned down his money when he wants to borrow some of the RFL and NRL's players from their employers for a one off? Then we'll have two games where clubs are potentially gutted for games that they'll see no return from, then if that one is successful it'll be three games in a year, four games, five games, etc, etc, then it'll no longer be a one off and it'll continue that way until it hits peak capacity, then none of the promoters will make any money anymore cause they have flooded the market and squeezed it dry and they'll pull out, and the national competitions will have been devalued to nothing by the goings on and we're left chewed up and spit out with nothing to show for it.

And it's all well and good that it's NRL clubs and players that this is happening too, they'll survive, but what happens when 20, 30, 50+ years down the road there's a brand new competition in (e.g.) Spain and the RFL or NRL decide they want to gut that competition for a game in China, Spain vs the Roos to sell the game to China, what then, the precedent has been set, there's no rational way that you could stop it from happening and not only would it be a very, very bad look for the game in that new competitions home for a huge chunk of it's contracted players to just piss off during the season, it could be disastrous for an up and coming comp that is just trying to find it's feet.

I could go on, but instead I'll just finish with the preparation for the game in Denver has taken a very short term view of things, it's basically prepare for the WC in 2025 and don't worry about any of the consequences of anything after or stemming from it, and in this case the issues could have been fixed or avoided so easily with some minor changes to some rules and some preparation.

Latest posts