What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Poms in US

Springs09

Juniors
Firstly, any argument that uses that tired 'what if it was a different industry/business' shit needs to be ignored. It's not construction, it's not accounting, it's not gravedigging, it is professional sport and isn't comparative.

Second, England players (for example) may be employees of their clubs but they are primarily employees of the game. The clubs pay their wages but they can only do so with money they get from the NRL, and what the NRL gets from the game itself. The salary cap issue is another matter and there probably should be exemptions from that. Without the RFL there would be no Josh Hodgson or James Graham in the first place. Canberra, St George and co did not develop these players themselves.

"You can't have organisations taking the employees of another organisation without their permission and using them for their will, it sets a terrible precedent."

We use this then we have no rep football at all.There's nothing in the players' contracts that say they can't play rep football. They have no rights to block players and once they do then they are blocking players against their will.

The RFL or NRL would have no say over a game involving other nations. And it wouldn't be a bad look for the competition's players to play for Spain during the competition's week off. They do that in soccer competitions all the time.

What's going to be the consequences for this game exactly?

Perth Tiger

Bench
It is an international game in the scheduled international window!

It doesn't matter where the game was played (unless in was in Sydney) the clubs (majority Sydney clubs) would be bitching and moaning about it because the clubs don't care about international footy.

Pommy

Coach
I agree with Kent that it's a stupid idea but probably for very different reasons to him...

You can't have organisations taking the employees of another organisation without their permission and using them for their will, it sets a terrible precedent.

I mean does anybody here own and/or operate a business?

What would you do if you worked in an industry where your employees or equipment can just be taken and used by a competitor (and in your busiest period) without compensation and with support of the government? You'd leave that industry that's what you'd do, you'd get out of there as quickly as possible and move on to greener pastures where people can't screw with your business willy nilly. It's called capital flight, it's screwed many a country or industry that has f##ked around with this sort of stuff.

And what happens when another cashed up promoter smells money and wants to play a game in China in April? What legs would the RLIF and the national leagues have to stand on if they turned down his money when he wants to borrow some of the RFL and NRL's players from their employers for a one off? Then we'll have two games where clubs are potentially gutted for games that they'll see no return from, then if that one is successful it'll be three games in a year, four games, five games, etc, etc, then it'll no longer be a one off and it'll continue that way until it hits peak capacity, then none of the promoters will make any money anymore cause they have flooded the market and squeezed it dry and they'll pull out, and the national competitions will have been devalued to nothing by the goings on and we're left chewed up and spit out with nothing to show for it.

And it's all well and good that it's NRL clubs and players that this is happening too, they'll survive, but what happens when 20, 30, 50+ years down the road there's a brand new competition in (e.g.) Spain and the RFL or NRL decide they want to gut that competition for a game in China, Spain vs the Roos to sell the game to China, what then, the precedent has been set, there's no rational way that you could stop it from happening and not only would it be a very, very bad look for the game in that new competitions home for a huge chunk of it's contracted players to just piss off during the season, it could be disastrous for an up and coming comp that is just trying to find it's feet.

I could go on, but instead I'll just finish with the preparation for the game in Denver has taken a very short term view of things, it's basically prepare for the WC in 2025 and don't worry about any of the consequences of anything after or stemming from it, and in this case the issues could have been fixed or avoided so easily with some minor changes to some rules and some preparation.

Seems to work just fine in football.

hutch

First Grade
International window! Hopefully we are building up to three in the near future. Aussies can play origin, other nations should also be given the opportunity to play rep games during this time!
What the nrl clubs need to realise is that this test in Denver is the same sport as they play. The sport is more important than clubs in one country.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
RLIF is the world Governing body. The RLIF has an agreement with both the RFL and NRL that clubs must release players when they are called up for rep duty - if a fit and healthy player refuses or his club refuses to release him, then penalties apply. Add to the fact that it is a RL rep weekend with no professional club RL being played then it is all good! The clubs have nothing to say on the matter. Let's not forget that the national bodies (of the big 3 anyway) pay their players quite well for repping their country.

The only issue that needs to be worked out is compensation for clubs that have players suffer injuries on rep duty as by their very nature rep players are usually amongst the club's best players.

Pommy

Coach
RLIF is the world Governing body. The RLIF has an agreement with both the RFL and NRL that clubs must release players when they are called up for rep duty - if a fit and healthy player refuses or his club refuses to release him, then penalties apply. Add to the fact that it is a RL rep weekend with no professional club RL being played then it is all good! The clubs have nothing to say on the matter. Let's not forget that the national bodies (of the big 3 anyway) pay their players quite well for repping their country.

The only issue that needs to be worked out is compensation for clubs that have players suffer injuries on rep duty as by their very nature rep players are usually amongst the club's best players.

Is there penalties for a player who refuses a call up? Surely a player can say he doesn’t want to play.

Springs09

Juniors
The player is suposedly suspended for one club match (unless they have officially announced their retirement from rep footy)

Well players opt out of playing all the time. The last time a player was threatened with suspension was when Lyon didn't want to play Origin.

There were players who didn't want to play the World Cup because they wanted 'a full pre-season' and things like that.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well players opt out of playing all the time. The last time a player was threatened with suspension was when Lyon didn't want to play Origin.

There were players who didn't want to play the World Cup because they wanted 'a full pre-season' and things like that.

I think Lyon came out an announced his (very young) retirement from rep footy once threatened

The Great Dane

First Grade
Firstly, any argument that uses that tired 'what if it was a different industry/business' shit needs to be ignored. It's not construction, it's not accounting, it's not gravedigging, it is professional sport and isn't comparative.

BS.

Whether you like it or not RL is a business, to survive it needs to make money if it doesn't make money it dies out as a profession, its directly comparative to any other business in this regard.

Second, England players (for example) may be employees of their clubs but they are primarily employees of the game.

The game in of it's self is not an employer, you can go pick up a footy right now and play RL, you won't see a dime for it.

Any suggestion like this is purely idealistic, and ridiculous in a real world context, frankly it's utopian.

The clubs pay their wages but they can only do so with money they get from the NRL, and what the NRL gets from the game itself.

Again this is idealistic BS.

The NRL does not get that money from "the game", they get it from people who buy the NRls' tickets and products and from TV broadcasters that buy the NRLs' product to broadcast on their channels cause it makes money for them cause it rates well and advertisers want their ads to run during shows that rate well.

If it were purely the game that brought in money then every competition would be profitable.

The salary cap issue is another matter and there probably should be exemptions from that. Without the RFL there would be no Josh Hodgson or James Graham in the first place. Canberra, St George and co did not develop these players themselves.

Josh Hodgson et.al are contractors, they don't owe anything to their old employers, and it's beside the point anyway.

And what of NZs' players basically all of them were developed on the NRL's dime, thus don't they owe the NRL their profession and therefore shouldn't play in this game using this logic?

"You can't have organisations taking the employees of another organisation without their permission and using them for their will, it sets a terrible precedent."

We use this then we have no rep football at all.

Only if you refuse to organise compensation, and the clubs have shown time and again that they are willing to release players when they aren't in season, in other words they seem to be fine with players taking on a second job so long as it doesn't effect them.

There's nothing in the players' contracts that say they can't play rep football. They have no rights to block players and once they do then they are blocking players against their will.

Actually their is something in their contracts that says that they can't play for another team (including rep football) without a release from the club (unless the club is run by idiots that is), and a players will doesn't really matter, they agreed to and signed that contract.

Would you care if you had someone working for you and they were unhappy cause you wouldn't let them go in the middle of their shift to work for someone else and still expected to be payed by you during that time, yes you would care, if you were like me you would say I'm happy to let you go work for them, but your fired if you do, unless that other company was some compensating me for my loss or at least was covering my risk in that employees contract, in other words paying the wages that I owe him during the time he is working for them (unless he the employee was to wave them), and their insurance is covering that employee while he is working for them, and depending on the business I'd want to be payed for lost income for the time that employee was away and anytime that they couldn't work cause of an injury sustained while working for them.

The RFL or NRL would have no say over a game involving other nations.

But they should get a say when it's players (their employees) contracted to their clubs (their businesses) that are being used in the game, cause it is them that is being most affected by the game

The majority of the players in the game in Denver are contracted to NRL clubs, yet the NRL and NRL clubs won't see a dime from it even if it is successful, and their's no compensation for their loss, that is wrong and it's stupid cause if I was a rich guy looking into investing into the NRL I'd be like nah as if the NRL are willing to force me to release players to this game when it's not in my interest then what else are they willing to do that would seriously negatively effect my business?!

And it wouldn't be a bad look for the competition's players to play for Spain during the competition's week off.

Can we stop with it's during a week off BS, even if it's played in a week off it's still going to effect the players time at their clubs, they are going to miss training, they are going to come back jet lagged and not able to preform at their best for a while, some will be injured, some may even be seriously injured and need time off, etc, etc.

The effects from this game aren't just going to be felt on this one week off, and even if it was it'd still be morally wrong.

They do that in soccer competitions all the time.

Except everybody involved in an international match is compensated in soccer, all the leagues see money from their governing bodies (right up to FIFA) explicitly to compensate for this sort of stuff, that isn't the case in RL, if it was we wouldn't have a problem, and even with that compensation very, very rarely would you see a game where a competition that isn't involved at all is the source for basically all the players for a game unconnected to them to be played during their season...

So no it's not comparable at all, cause they actually have the compensation that I'm arguing for.

What's going to be the consequences for this game exactly?

I already named two before, capital flight and devaluation of the competitions to the benefit of one off big time promoters who will move on from RL as soon as it doesn't make any money for them cause the sport isn't their bread and butter and they aren't reliant on it to make a living.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Seems to work just fine in football.

Again not comparable, soccer already has the compensation that I'm arguing for.

If RL was like soccer and everybody had agreed on a scheme to compensate everybody involved then there'd be no problem.

Pommy

Coach
Again not comparable, soccer already has the compensation that I'm arguing for.

If RL was like soccer and everybody had agreed on a scheme to compensate everybody involved then there'd be no problem.

Whats the compensation scheme for origin?

adamkungl

Immortal
I agree with Kent that it's a stupid idea but probably for very different reasons to him...

You can't have organisations taking the employees of another organisation without their permission and using them for their will, it sets a terrible precedent.

I mean does anybody here own and/or operate a business?

Nothing you've said past here has any relevance. Representative sport and professional sport have gone hand in hand since forever. Sport has special considerations that don't apply to the local fish and chip shop. As part of their participation in the NRL, the clubs are OBLIGED to release players for representative duty.
Every other sport on the planet manages to handle this issue, why do Rugby League's short sighted adminstrators and fans struggle?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Nothing you've said past here has any relevance. Representative sport and professional sport have gone hand in hand since forever. Sport has special considerations that don't apply to the local fish and chip shop. As part of their participation in the NRL, the clubs are OBLIGED to release players for representative duty.

The question isn't are they obliged to, it's should they be obliged to and under what circumstances should they be obliged to, those are two very different things.

I know they are obliged to release their plays, but under the current circumstances doing so will directly negatively effect their business's and they aren't going to get anything to cover the costs of that negative effect, that should never ever be the case if we want RL as a professional sport to do well!
What I'm questioning is whether or not under these circumstances and ones like them they should be obliged to release their players, and suggesting ways that the problems that I'm presenting could be solved and should be solved so that it's not an issue anymore.

Every other sport on the planet manages to handle this issue, why do Rugby League's short sighted adminstrators and fans struggle?

And every other sport on the planet that I know of compensates their clubs and leagues in some way for the negative effects of internationals on their businesses, normally through grants, except RL, and yet people want to uphold that state of affairs despite the negative effects that it has.

Why the administrators struggle I don't know, it's compensation and sort is pretty basic stuff the RLIF should have figured it out years ago, why you lot struggle to understand that the NRL, NRL clubs, etc, are businesses and need to support their businesses I don't understand either....

The Great Dane

First Grade
So the RFL and NZRL. Get sod all from it?

Why would they get anything from SOO!?

The RFL and NZRL aren't investing anything into SOO, no money, no players, nothing, why would they expect a return from something that they never put into in the first place (though you could argue that the NZRL does profit from SOO through the grants and subsidies that they get from the NRL, but that is neither here nor there), however the NRL is putting into the Denver game, the NRL is supplying the majority of the players for the Denver game and are expected to see nothing in return for that despite the fact that it is directly negatively effecting their business, and that is wrong and it's stupid...

And it's not really the NRL that needs compensating, it's the clubs, they are the ones most effected, to use a current example every game that Josh Hodgson misses is money out of the Raiders pocket, they are still paying him when he isn't playing, they lose gate in people that aren't coming cause Hodgson isn't playing, they lose sponsor dollars, they lose their starting hooker and one of their biggest star players which effects their game play which further effects them negatively both in performance and financially, etc, etc, they should be compensated for those losses, it's the right thing to do.

I really don't get why this is a big deal, or why people are struggling to understand this, it's pretty basic stuff...

Pommy

Coach
Why would they get anything from SOO!?

The RFL and NZRL aren't investing anything into SOO, no money, no players, nothing, why would they expect a return from something that they never put into in the first place (though you could argue that the NZRL does profit from SOO through the grants and subsidies that they get from the NRL, but that is neither here nor there), however the NRL is putting into the Denver game, the NRL is supplying the majority of the players for the Denver game and are expected to see nothing in return for that despite the fact that it is directly negatively effecting their business, and that is wrong and it's stupid...

And it's not really the NRL that needs compensating, it's the clubs, they are the ones most effected, to use a current example every game that Josh Hodgson misses is money out of the Raiders pocket, they are still paying him when he isn't playing, they lose gate in people that aren't coming cause Hodgson isn't playing, they lose sponsor dollars, they lose their starting hooker and one of their biggest star players which effects their game play which further effects them negatively both in performance and financially, etc, etc, they should be compensated for those losses, it's the right thing to do.

I really don't get why this is a big deal, or why people are struggling to understand this, it's pretty basic stuff...

From the Denver test not origin.
So Canberra receive no insurance pay outs?