What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 R3 Thu - Storm 30-14 Cowboys @ AAMI

Round 3: Storm v Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clifferd

Coach
I don't.

If players are breaking the rules then they get penalised. It's up to them to adjust what they're doing.

Offside penalties fair enough, that’s always been a rule

But the penalties for holding on too long inside the 10 etc do get a bit tiresome. Just watch the tigers game last week you’ll know what I mean anyway

axl rose

Bench
What's going on with Thurston?

Looks like he's just going through the motions out on the field. His passing was bog average tonight and he sometimes looks disinterested in defence.

When hes fit Morgan clearly needs to be in control of the team. But Green will not make that call till its too late.

footy75

Bench
We always start like this but it’s frustrating because all these early season wins are important.
Storm aren’t missing the 8 but they may miss too 4.

agreed Cows have a history of these patches but then they get on rolls.

They'll be fine.

footy75

Bench
Last year, Storm, with Cronk, were so much better than the rest it was ridiculous.

Cowboys were good in patches (like most the finals), but with a reduced roster, were not really that good. Which says a lot about the other teams that they beat on the way. None of the top 10 or so outside the Storm, were very good or very consistent (they all had some ripper games and some shockers).

The bottom few teams were quite poor.

This year, the Storm and Cowboys are expected to do well based on their key players. But the Cowboys need to be much better than last year (and should be, with Thurston back) to really threaten, and so far look inconsistent like last year.

The Storm, without Cronk, are still dangerous, their defense is still great, but they look to be just good, rather than great, overall.

Also, the bottom of the pack from last year have for the most part improved.
Combined with the early penalties, drop ball, and usual upsets of the first few rounds, and no team really looks dominant.

Both the Cowboys and Storm seem too good on paper to miss the 8, but it seems very tough in the early stages of the season to confidently pick anyone to be really good or really bad.

Which is a good thing, I suppose?

good post

moffla

Bench
Even though we won, I left that game with frustration. Not at the players (though we made a few errors) but the f**king refs. BOTH teams were hindered by absolutely soft calls. Brought a mate to his first game, he didn’t mind it but hated the constant stoppages.

Those watching on telly - do you get the same impression or am I overreacting?

Clifferd

Coach
Even though we won, I left that game with frustration. Not at the players (though we made a few errors) but the f**king refs. BOTH teams were hindered by absolutely soft calls. Brought a mate to his first game, he didn’t mind it but hated the constant stoppages.

Yep, Melbourne were definitely the better team - but ffs let the game flow

Shorty

Staff member

No you’re completely right.
I think the NRL thinks that players will ‘eventually’ stop infringing during the season and I don’t think they will.
Imagine what this year’s final series will be like,

blaza88z

Coach
Storm will be a top 4 side, they aren't as dominant as they were last year (not yet anyway) but they have a new halfback to work with and so far this year he hasn't looked as comfortable as he did in his cameo performances last year

They have all the ingredients to be a top 4 team

LineBall

Juniors
My only gripe about the refs is that they should have binned more players. Give both captains a warning that he will bin the next offender from both teams and watch them toe the line.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Offside penalties fair enough, that’s always been a rule

But the penalties for holding on too long inside the 10 etc do get a bit tiresome. Just watch the tigers game last week you’ll know what I mean anyway

Of course they get tiresome, but no more tiresome than a game of "who cheats the best wins".

Playing the ball with your foot was always going to slow the ruck. If they let players get away with the same things they got away with in previous years then it would be even worse than it is now.

MilkShark

First Grade

While the penalties were annoying I’d rather they blew them than not blowing them and letting teams get away with murder. Some teams do it week in week out, 20 penalties a game will hopefully teach them they can’t do it anymore and make the game much more enjoyable than it currently is to watch.

TheFrog

Coach
While the penalties were annoying I’d rather they blew them than not blowing them and letting teams get away with murder. Some teams do it week in week out, 20 penalties a game will hopefully teach them they can’t do it anymore and make the game much more enjoyable than it currently is to watch.
This was a game between two of the best teams we have, but it put me to sleep because of all the stoppages, and the 12,000 crowd was what it deserved. I'm in agreement with the idea that players penalised in the opposition 10 should be a mandatory sin bin. Also successive penalties early in the tackle count. 5 minutes or until the opposition scores a try, whatever comes first. A penalty on the first three tackles isn't a penalty at all, it just disrupts the game.

Refs who fail to penalise sin-binnable offences should be dropped, including late in games and in finals, and this should be scrutinised by the media and a weekly report issued by the refs boss.

Last edited:

LineBall

Juniors
This was a game between two of the best teams we have, but it put me to sleep because of all the stoppages, and the 12,000 crowd was what it deserved. I'm in agreement with the idea that players penalised in the opposition 10 should be a mandatory sin bin. Also successive penalties early in the tackle count. 5 minutes or until the opposition scores a try, whatever comes first. A penalty on the first three tackles isn't a penalty at all, it just disrupts the game.

Refs who fail to penalise sin-binnable offences should be dropped, including late in games and in finals, and this should be scrutinised by the media and a weekly report issued by the refs boss.

This is ridiculous.

Edit: I agree with most of what you said, but The refs shouldn’t care what the tackle count is when they blow a penalty.

Last edited:
What's going on with Thurston?

Looks like he's just going through the motions out on the field. His passing was bog average tonight and he sometimes looks disinterested in defence.

When has Thurston ever looked interested in defence? ;)

As to complaints about the stop-start nature of the game, the referees did what they are supposed to do - enforce the rules of the game. All through last year we had people wailing about referees not blowing penalties. Now they are being bagged for blowing too many? The poor buggers can't win.

If anyone should be blamed it should be the players (and the coaches for implicitly condoning their actions) as they are the ones committing the infractions, not the referees.

That said, yes it is possible that using the sin bin might have been appropriate as a way of showing the players they are fair dinkum as quite often, despite repeated penalties, players only sit up and take notice once you start sitting them down.

Latest posts