What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

ed612313

Juniors
I couldn't find them either... Strange.
All ive been able to find is an article stating 2.35 million. Thats really low compared to other years isnt it? I thought it was closer to 4 usually?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good one Gil,keep up the propaganda., Nothing better than throwing good money after bad.
Might get a smaller Tv deal next time, if the fumbler ratings continue to drop .

They had $350mill MORE revenue than nrl last year, $45mill on gws and suns is chump change to them. But yeh that tv slump would be a concern, they’ll be glad they signed a six year deal!

taipan

Referee
They had $350mill MORE revenue than nrl last year, $45mill on gws and suns is chump change to them. But yeh that tv slump would be a concern, they’ll be glad they signed a six year deal!

Depends on their " surplus" for last year .Costs have a tendency to rise all the time.They did incur a loss either last year or 2016 from memory.
It's not just the $45m on GWS and the Suns,which is ongoing, and achieving little viz a viz results and crowds, but the continuous losses by the Lions,and the deep losses of St Kilda.It all adds up and the remaining 14 clubs, will not stand still and applaud for ever.
The chances of them expanding further due to these outcomes so far ,are very slim indeed.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Perth Red

Post Whore
I want them to stay on the GC for as long as possible to empty the fumbleball coffers, because that's what will happen. Happy days for Rugby League :D

Like i said they had $650 mill revenue last year and have put in place a grants system that means $20mill on suns is noth8ng to them. You’ll be waiting a long time if you think it’s going to empty their cofffers!

taipan

Referee
I want them to stay on the GC for as long as possible to empty the fumbleball coffers, because that's what will happen. Happy days for Rugby League :D

That's a cruel thought of yours indeed.But you know what? I'm backing your thought to the hilt.
So I'll hum ye a toon.:_

Money,money.money,
sure looks funny
down the AFL dunny.

Aah has All the things I could do
If I had $20m money
To drop down the dunny
In a GC Sun's world.

With apologies to ABBA and that particularly stunning blonde.

El Diablo

Post Whore

taipan

Referee
Like i said they had $650 mill revenue last year and have put in place a grants system that means $20mill on suns is noth8ng to them. You’ll be waiting a long time if you think it’s going to empty their cofffers!

Reality check.Continually throwing money at bottomless pits, despite having money on hand is irresponsible business practice.Doesn't matter whether you are a commercial enterprise or a sporting organisation.Especially if their next Tv deal is much less.

The NRL despite having some dopes running the show at times,wouldn't do it.They have stated they are not going to prop up clubs who fail financially.They have cut back on costs, retrenching 30 people at H/O.

Bearing in mind the NRL is on track to make a surplus in 2018, of at least $45m.

Nerd

Bench
Just as a matter of interest can you post a link to where you get this figure from.

Starkers

Bench

Revenue aside, what's the surplus?

If they take a hit on tv rights at the next auction suddenly dumping $45m a year into a pit which is supposed to expand the tv revenue might start to make a lot less sense.

I will hand it to them on Etihad stadium. Nice asset to have on your balance sheet especially when the state govt intends to throw $250m at it on an upgrade.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No doubt if the tv deals reduced both codes would have to cut their clothes accordingly. Afl have mitigated some of the risk of expansion with things like the ticket tax and unequal grants systems. Clubs like the eagles with $65mill revenue and $12mill profit are not stressing about money going to the suns.
Afl recognised same time as ARL that they needed to be a national code with two teams in major capital cities. Sadly SL killed the arl’s ambitions but afl have a very long term strategy at play to be Australia’s footy code. You can mock as much as you like but a $300mil gap in revenue should be enough to tell you how it is working out for both codes,

the drop in tv audiences is significant for them and will cause them pain in 5years unless resolved. Good to see nrl viewing holding solid. We still have barely tapped some states with fta viewing.

Just as a matter of interest can you post a link to where you get this figure from.

Afl 2017 annual report

Revenue aside, what's the surplus?

2017 afl surplus $48.8mill

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reality check.Continually throwing money at bottomless pits, despite having money on hand is irresponsible business practice.Doesn't matter whether you are a commercial enterprise or a sporting organisation.Especially if their next Tv deal is much less.

The NRL despite having some dopes running the show at times,wouldn't do it.They have stated they are not going to prop up clubs who fail financially.They have cut back on costs, retrenching 30 people at H/O.

Bearing in mind the NRL is on track to make a surplus in 2018, of at least $45m.

Out of interest if a club falls over do you really think the nrl is going to sit back and not be able to deliver on its 8games a week tv deal? I know there’s a sinking fund for clubs but it’s actually not a lot when you look at how much nrl spent propping up knights or titans.

Just can’t see it despite toddy’s tough talk

taipan

Referee
No doubt if the tv deals reduced both codes would have to cut their clothes accordingly. Afl have mitigated some of the risk of expansion with things like the ticket tax and unequal grants systems. Clubs like the eagles with $65mill revenue and $12mill profit are not stressing about money going to the suns.
Afl recognised same time as ARL that they needed to be a national code with two teams in major capital cities. Sadly SL killed the arl’s ambitions but afl have a very long term strategy at play to be Australia’s footy code. You can mock as much as you like but a $300mil gap in revenue should be enough to tell you how it is working out for both codes,

the drop in tv audiences is significant for them and will cause them pain in 5years unless resolved. Good to see nrl viewing holding solid. We still have barely tapped some states with fta viewing.

Afl 2017 annual report

2017 afl surplus $48.8mill

Correct.The drop in TV audiences so far has been far greater for the AFL than the NRL.The latter is supposedly down less than 1%.That factor assists the NRL more so than the AFL when it comes to Tv deals.Throw in the SOO as the cream on the TV cake.

As I stated prior you can have long term strategies, like SL,unless you get public support it's a costly ,futile exercises News found to their financial hit.
Naturally 2 clubs in AFL states like Perth an Adelaide is a winner.It hasn't translated that way in NSW/Qld. The only reason the Swans got a lift, was the SL war and the cutting of clubs and joint ventures.
The future expansion ops in the The Nth states are virtually nil.

The other 3 expansion clubs by the AFL have been huge financial drains.
Interesting in the latest financials for first half year ,shows digital is helping their surpluses.
The gap in revenue is closing also.

I'll mock any code or business that wastes money ,especially when that code is held up as the panacea of how to run sports .Just because your revenue is huge.Costs are also on the rise, and remember their cost of running AFL teams due to numbers of employees, is far greater than the NRL.
I'll also mock any code that sweeps major incidents under the carpet,to give the public impression of the ideal sport.

And they had a loss prior.

They have been assisted by Governments in the past who threw billions of dollars worth of new stadiums to help grow the game and revenues.The NRL has been negligent from post SL: through to Smith/Grant's reign.

Last para I agree so that's something.

taipan

Referee
Out of interest if a club falls over do you really think the nrl is going to sit back and not be able to deliver on its 8games a week tv deal? I know there’s a sinking fund for clubs but it’s actually not a lot when you look at how much nrl spent propping up knights or titans.

Just can’t see it despite toddy’s tough talk

If a club falls over now IMO they will be given the choice of relocation or replaced by an expansion club.If they are fair dinkum.
In any case, with the $13m the clubs are getting ,and Beattie maintains this year 5 -6 clubs should be in the back without League's club assistance, think it's a hypothetical situation.
The Sharks in the past were close to the position.
It will be a board decision ,they are the ones involved in the TV deals,competition structure and infrastructure.

Latest posts