What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Starkers

Bench
Pretending Origin is the only vehicle we have to sell the game to foreigners (read: interstaters) is a bit one-dimensional IMO. 39k at the double header in March for Perth for example, had nothing to do with Origin. Souths and Manly in particular do hard yards in those areas given their footprints. Clubs like Canterbury and the Roosters have continued groundwork in Adelaide for the last 10-15 years and deserve credit there too.

Subsequently I think the Storm deserve plenty of credit for the increased profile of RL in Melbourne.

i'm not pretending it's the only way, but it's probably the best way. clubs games are good, but let's face it you can sometimes get unlucky with a shit game. origin almost never disappoints and it's a great way to introduce people who might otherwise not be interested in a club game.

T-Boon

Coach
when there is a Melbourne Origin I don't know why the NRL doesnt schedule Storm v Broncos the following Saturday in Melbourne. You would think the Vic government would like that idea and pay a bit as a few thousand queenslanders would probably stay down there a few days longer.

colly

Juniors
anyone know how the Saturday 1pm NSW cup games are doing for ratings?
And if ch 9 had a brain it would schedule a NSW cup (intrust) game before their 4 pm Sunday game. They already have the TV production their. Usually good entertainment and try to have a game with some local content.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/en...guard-their-major-sports-20180607-p4zk3g.html

The answer can be found in Wednesday's ratings, with the Blues versus Maroons Origin clash averaging 3.46 million viewers nationally. At its peak, almost 3.9 million people were watching Channel Nine or an affiliated regional station.

Good article. The NRL could go to a Google at the next round of negotiations with the foxtel portion of their contract and provide the free-to-air networks with two or three games a week to bid on which will get around the anti-syphoning laws, still promote the game for free to the masses and get much more revenue than Foxtel are willing to pay.

We are seriously underpaid. Regular NRL ratings outrate regular AFL games plus we have the Origin carrot on top and we still get paid less.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good article. The NRL could go to a Google at the next round of negotiations with the foxtel portion of their contract and provide the free-to-air networks with two or three games a week to bid on which will get around the anti-syphoning laws, still promote the game for free to the masses and get much more revenue than Foxtel are willing to pay.

We are seriously underpaid. Regular NRL ratings outrate regular AFL games plus we have the Origin carrot on top and we still get paid less.

In the debate on how much we should get paid I wonder how it stacks up to sports in other countries? We use AFL as the benchmark but it seems to me that both sports may be paid way over the odds than they are actually worth?

If you look at Fox lets say there are 300k subscribers who would not subscribe if they didnt have NRL. on an avg $75 a year subscription thats about $225mill a year revenue (plus adverts and sponsors). Given they are paying around $200mill a year for NRL plus production costs it doesnt seem to be a big winner? Unless I am totally off with the 300k subscribers just for NRL?

FTA even less so. $150mil a year for three slots a week plus Origin, do they really make that much from the adverts run given the viewing audience of less than a million for most games?

re streaming, I think they were keen this time but advised its not the best time yet. This article talks about the advice provided, oh an the scapegoating of Smith lol To get more than Fox from streaming would take a massive subscription rate at a decent price.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...o-afl-one-expert-analyst-20151126-gl93n0.html

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/greenb...le-for-eyeballs-with-afl-20180611-p4zkt5.html

Greenberg's diplomacy disguises battle for eyeballs with AFL

Todd Greenberg’s remark on Melbourne radio that Australia’s two dominant football codes weren’t at war, so much as having a mutual enemy in Netflix, makes me wonder whether the AFL chief executive, Gillon McLachlan, reacted the same way as Metternich when told that Talleyrand had died.

Not for a moment am I equating the rival chief executives with the two great 19th-century European statesmen, Metternich who was Chancellor of the Austrian Empire and Talleyrand, the French diplomat who survived Louis XVI, the French Revolution, Napoleon and the Restoration.

Greenberg, McLachlan and, for that matter FFA’s David Gallop and Rugby Australia’s Raelene Castle, do possess fierce political ambition and it’s unlikely any of them would object to media allies advocating their talents, particularly now that the job of Cricket Australia’s CEO is vacant.

But only one of them could be as crafty as Talleyrand, on whom Napoleon relied despite calling him “a shit in a silk stocking”.

When given the news of Talleyrand’s death, Metternich said, “I wonder what he meant by that?”

McLachlan may have equally pondered what Greenberg meant by his remark that the AFL and NRL were not at war and, instead, had a mutual opponent in online streaming giant Netflix.

After all, the two codes were on a war footing when the NRL scheduled the 2018 Origin series. Greenberg initially planned to stage the second match, a Sunday night fixture, at the MCG, rather than play the first game there, as occurred with last Wednesday’s night’s match.

The NRL couldn’t trust the AFL not to schedule blockbuster matches in Melbourne over the June 22-24 weekend, leading to the Sunday night Origin match. Instead, the second match will be played at Homebush and the NRL has made it a standalone fixture, with no club games over the weekend.

Greenberg’s comment on Melbourne radio does evoke Talleyrand, who said: “Speech was given to man to disguise his thoughts.”

The NRL has given the AFL a major hiding in TV ratings to the halfway mark of the 2018 competition, even before the four million who watched Origin I.

Oztam figures show that the cumulative Australian TV market has declined by 8.9 per cent this year and the fall in AFL ratings is even greater – a 13.9 per cent drop –while NRL ratings are flat at minus 0.6 per cent.

It’s probably true that Netflix, together with the Commonwealth Games and royal wedding, have affected Melbourne viewing habits more than Sydney, although the AFL points to a scheduling conundrum where poorly performing Carlton had a run of Friday night games.

If AFL and NRL games were only on free-to-air TV, this may be so. But consider the Fox figures for both codes this year.

The NRL has seven of the top 10 Fox programs of AFL/NRL for 2018, as well as six of the first seven. The NRL has 16 of the top 20 AFL/NRL broadcasts for 2018.

Whereas both codes each had five of the top AFL/NRL programs for both 2017 and 2018 (excluding finals), no AFL game from 2018 makes the top 20. The highest rated AFL 2018 Fox game, Collingwood versus Essendon with 321,162 viewers, is ranked 25th over the combined AFL/NRL broadcasts for 2017 and 2018.

Admittedly, it was also shown on FTA but its 2018 ranking of fourth for both codes demonstrate yet again how much AFL viewership has slipped in a year.

FTA games in both codes are simulcast and Fox now has opposition from Netflix and the streaming services it didn’t have a decade ago. But the NRL has held up well, with the No.1 ranked AFL/NRL game this year – the round-12 Panthers versus Dragons match with 366,399 viewers – the third-highest rating NRL match of the past five seasons. It sits below the stellar 2016 Storm versus Sharks battle for the minor premiership (499,000) and behind a round-one match between the Cowboys and Sharks in 2016 (372,000).

By blaming Netflix, perhaps Greenberg suspects the AFL’s real problem is the viewer trend towards
shorter programs, particularly if games are one sided.

We tend to follow the United States in many social habits and the viewership of NFL games (where the ball is in play one minute in every 17 minutes) is down nine per cent on the previous season.

Significantly, the average margin of victory has increased in the NFL. Similarly, many AFL games (100 minutes compared to NRL 80 minutes) are decided by the beginning of the fourth quarter, while the average margin of victory in the NRL is 12.7 after round 13, down from last year’s record low of 13.1 for the full season.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
In the debate on how much we should get paid I wonder how it stacks up to sports in other countries? We use AFL as the benchmark but it seems to me that both sports may be paid way over the odds than they are actually worth?

If you look at Fox lets say there are 250k subscribers who would not subscribe if they didnt have NRL. on an avg $75 a year subscription thats about $225mill a year revenue (plus adverts and sponsors). Given they are paying around $200mill a year for NRL plus production costs it doesnt seem to be a big winner? Unless I am totally off with the 300k subscribers just for NRL?

FTA even less so. $150mil a year for three slots a week plus Origin, do they really make that much from the adverts run given the viewing audience of less than a million for most games?

re streaming, I think they were keen this time but advised its not the best time yet. This article talks about the advice provided, oh an the scapegoating of Smith lol To get more than Fox from streaming would take a massive subscription rate at a decent price.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...o-afl-one-expert-analyst-20151126-gl93n0.html

Agree that it is possible that we are overpaid but when NRL ratings are, at worst, matching AFL ratings and then you add Origin on top, we should be in front of them $$$ wise

El Diablo

Post Whore
just checked Oztam and RegionalTam and they still haven't posted consolidated ratings for the week SOO was on

Latest posts