What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Pommy

Coach
Think Homebush and a new SFS may help and/or Parra.

FIFA requires 40,000 capacity for World Cup venues so Para wouldn’t be big enough. Also more than likely why they aren’t planning the same at Moore Park.

Missed the post above with exceptions.

magpie_man

Juniors
Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment here: You can hardly blame the AFL for digging in their heals about Australia hosting a FIFA WC - they stand to gain absolutely nothing from it save, perhaps, a negligible amount of International exposure from visiting soccer fans.
On the flip side, their 3 biggest competitors (NRL, ARU & FFA) would stand to benefit enormously from the improved stadium infrastructure alone.
Forget about goodwill, from a purely business perspective it'd be catastrophic for the AFL.

Timbo

Staff member
Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment here: You can hardly blame the AFL for digging in their heals about Australia hosting a FIFA WC - they stand to gain absolutely nothing from it save, perhaps, a negligible amount of International exposure from visiting soccer fans.
On the flip side, their 3 biggest competitors (NRL, ARU & FFA) would stand to benefit enormously from the improved stadium infrastructure alone.
Forget about goodwill, from a purely business perspective it'd be catastrophic for the AFL.

Yeah, that's true - although they did stand to gain pretty substantially on infrastructure upgrades as well. Originally the plans for Optus Stadium and the Adelaide Oval upgrade were discussed in terms of a World Cup bid. They just went forward regardless.

Whilst the AFL may have been doing the right thing for their sport, the onus really was on the governments of Victoria, SA and WA to drag it over the line. The tourism dollars the cup generates for a host city are enormous.

FIFA requires 40,000 capacity for World Cup venues so Para wouldn’t be big enough. Also more than likely why they aren’t planning the same at Moore Park.

Missed the post above with exceptions.

I doubt they’re planning 40k for Moore park on the off chance we host the World Cup in 15-20 years time.

It’d be easy to design a stadium that could be increased from 30k to 40k anyway.

The 40-45k at Allianz is all about the ego of the SCG trust.

Or having a passable stadium actually close to somewhere anyone would want to visit...

A large stadium would make sense there if it was our only one, but there’s simply not enough 30k+ events to go around for Sydney to need two large rectangular stadiums.

Build a 70k seat stadium at Moore park & make ANZ a 35k seat stadium. I’m not fussed.

But we don’t need 2 above 40k

Even the govts business proposal makes that clear.

Pommy

Coach
I doubt they’re planning 40k for Moore park on the off chance we host the World Cup in 15-20 years time.

It’d be easy to design a stadium that could be increased from 30k to 40k anyway.

The 40-45k at Allianz is all about the ego of the SCG trust.

Why not? Australia certainly has aspirations to host one, makes no sense to design a stadium below the requirements.

Why not? Australia certainly has aspirations to host one, makes no sense to design a stadium below the requirements.

Because it’s unlikely.

And in the meantime there’s 15 years of other events that need to be considered.

As I said though, it’d be easy to leave a provision for a 10k seat upgrade down the line.

no name

Coach
There was a fundamental difference between how the NRL and ARU were looking at the WC, as opposed to the AFL.

The NRL and ARU could see this was a huge win, as not only would it guarantee new stadiums in Canberra, Townsville and Blacktown in addition to massive upgrades for Homebush, the SFS, Suncorp, Newcastle, there would also be a huge whack of cash thrown at upgrading club grounds for the pre-cup friendlies. Australia is so far away, virtually every team would have had to base themselves here in the run-in. Since FIFA takes over the grounds a month before the cup, it wasn't just the 10 cup grounds that would've been upgraded, but also a host of smaller grounds would have been made FIFA international compliant for teams pre-cup hitouts. Sure there would've been inconveniences - Brisbane would've had to use the Gabba or Ballymore for a month, the Roosters the SCG, etc - but is one month of slightly less than ideal conditions not a reasonable trade for every single ground getting upgraded?

The AFL on the other hand bitched and moaned, refused to release Etihad (which with its retractable seating was infinitely more suitable for the cup than the MCG) and remained wilfully ignorant of FIFA policies and practices. You had people from the AFL making comments like 'I don't see why we cant have a premiership match on a Friday, and a soccer match on a Saturday' even though FIFA are very clear - they own the ground for one month before the first game, through to the full time whistle of the final match on the ground. This was of course compounded by the Victorian government jumping on their high-horse about Melbourne being 'the sports capital' and having to host the final - meaning they had to put the MCG forward so that they had a larger capacity ground than ANZ in play.

Every single time I heard them going on about the MCG being 'iconic', I shuddered. Yeah, it's iconic in AFL and cricket circles - but it's not Wembley or the Maracana. FIFA isn't impressed by it at all, and it's very poorly suited for rectangle-field sports.

Even now that the AFL has to allow Etihad to be used for other sports, I don't see this changing if we were to bid again. The Victorian obsession with the MCG and their desperate need to host the final would almost certainly mean that'd be the stadium they would put forward.
And as such, the bid was rightly laughed out of the running in the first vote.
Seriously, how f**king stupid can you be fronting up a cricket field as the venue of the World Cup final.
$46 million of tax payers money trying to fit a rectangle into an oval peg.

People need to realise Aus wont be in contention for a WC until probably after 2040. thats a long time between drinks. build for whats needed, not 3 games in 2062.

Exactly.

China will bid for 2034, and barring something extraordinary they’ll get it.

Which leaves us at 2046.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With them allowing the joint US/Canada/Mexico bid which has 16 stadiums, I would hope an Australia/NZ bid with 10-12 stadiums in Australia, and 3 in NZ may be acceptable.

Interestingly at this World Cup, they allowed Russia to have two stadiums with 33,500 capacity down from their normal 40,000 rule. Hopefully that would allow places like Wellington and the new Christchurch stadium to sneak across the line.

Where would you put 12 stadiums in Australia? 3 in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide , Canberra, Townsville (maybe) Newcastle (maybe). At best that’s ten venues.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And as such, the bid was rightly laughed out of the running in the first vote.
Seriously, how f**king stupid can you be fronting up a cricket field as the venue of the World Cup final.
$46 million of tax payers money trying to fit a rectangle into an oval peg.

Pretty sure the Qatar back handers had more influence than the shape of the mcg!

Timbo

Staff member
Where would you put 12 stadiums in Australia? 4 in Sydney (maybe), Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide Townsville (maybe) Newcastle (maybe). At best that’s ten venues.

Our original bid book:

2 x Sydney
Brisbane
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth
Newcastle
Canberra
Townsville
Geelong

I would hope with three in NZ we could make the numbers from there.

no name

Coach
Pretty sure the Qatar back handers had more influence than the shape of the mcg!
Which adds to the stupidity.
We are always gonna be up against it from the start. The bid needs to be tight so that no holes can be poked.
Anyone who was paid off can use the shape as a reason why they didn’t vote that way, and it would seem a valid reason.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...l/news-story/8aeba4e8dd41a790b94d2d656512d1df

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian breaks silence on NRL home games at Brookvale Oval

Robbie Patterson, Manly Daily
June 20, 2018 12:00am

PREMIER Gladys Berejiklian has broken her silence on the future of NRL home games at Brookvale Oval, declaring the Sea Eagles are free to play where they want.

But the Sea Eagles’ No. 1 ticket holder stopped short of throwing her support behind Brookvale as her preferred destination.

In response to questions sent last week, the Premier said on Monday: “The Manly Sea Eagles determine where the Manly Sea Eagles play.”

This follows a KPMG business case, being used to justify a $730 million knockdown and rebuild of Allianz Stadium and the $810 million refurbishment of ANZ Stadium, suggested games be moved from Brookvale to the new stadium at Moore Park.

It also suggested deterioration by neglect, to force the Sea Eagles there.

“In line with the stadia strategy, the government has stated its commitment to not fund non-state-owned venues,” the report said. “As such, these Sydney-based teams will begin to require new venues to host home games as their stadiums become unsuitable.”

Wakehurst state MP Brad Hazzard criticised the plan, saying it had been tried before and failed.

“It was clear when the original policy was floated to push games to the bigger stadia that it wouldn’t work for the Sea Eagles or the fans on the beaches. I made that clear a long while ago,” he said.

Sea Eagles legend Max Krilich has urged the Premier and her government to “get off their behinds and give Manly what they deserve — a stadium upgrade”.

The former club captain said a 40-year wait was long enough.

“Parramatta Stadium is going to have been built twice. Why?” he said.

“I’ll tell you why — because it is a marginal seat that’s why. They are only worried about their own politics.”

He said moving home games would not work. “Give Manly a decent ground and decent team and we will get 25,000 people to every game,” he said. ‘They would get 5000 to 6000 if it moves.

“I don’t know how KPMG would say that it would be profitable. They’re bean counters, they don’t know anything about rugby league.”

The Sea Eagles remain firmly committed to staying at Brookvale and say they were promised $10 million by former premier Mike Baird. The club had been banking on the money along with $12.5 million promised by Warringah MP Tony Abbott to upgrade its facilities.

They had also applied to upgrade the club’s Narrabeen training facility at Sydney Academy of Sport as part of a centre of excellence fund.

It has since been said by Sports Minister Stuart Ayres that only the centre of excellence fund was available.

Ms Berejiklian did not respond to questions on funding.

But Mr Hazzard said he believed funding had been promised for Brookvale Oval’s upgrade.

“I could be wrong but my interpretation at the time was that it was $10 million straight out to come to the upgrade of the stadium,” he said.

“I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that the centre of excellence funds were a possibility as an extra not as the mainstay.”

He said he would “very much so” be making his sentiments known to the Premier and Sports Minister.

Timbo

Staff member
No Max, it's being re-built because it's in the geographic centre of Sydney and easily accessible for 2.5 million people. The electorate being marginal has nothing to do with it.

I know they have to fly their own flag, but to say that Brookvale - with it's one tenant - deserves an upgrade before literally anywhere else is laughable.

siv

First Grade
Other than the 40k SWC requirement

There is also requirement for no games to be played at venues for 4 weeks prior the event

Latest posts