What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forfeit

Front-Rower

First Grade
Imagine living in such a black and white world that you think the ARL was a squeaky clean innocent party in the SL war and that SL was just this big evil thing... and not being able to see both sides had valid concerns and serious problems.

Uncle Rupe spat the dummy when ARL awarded Packer the pay tv rights. Nothing more, nothing less. Fox/News knew rugby league was going to be the make or break of Foxtel.

siv

First Grade
Uncle Rupe spat the dummy when ARL awarded Packer the pay tv rights. Nothing more, nothing less. Fox/News knew rugby league was going to be the make or break of Foxtel.

No

P-M-T consortium proposed Foxtel originally 2 years before the SL War

P-Packer had big share of local TV content with Cricket and RL

M- Murdoch had the movie content

T- Telstra was going to deliver

They argued that only one pay-tv company could operate/exist in a small country like Australia

But the Government in its wisdom said no

That was the real trigger for the non-RL aspect of the SL war. Packer realigned with new player Optus and had the RL TV rights

Once tje peace came through and Optus-Vision basically died Packer bought into Foxtel and

Packer - Murdoch - Telstra were the majority shareholders of Foxtel

RL and Ribot were just a pawn in a bigger game

Front-Rower

First Grade
No

P-M-T consortium proposed Foxtel originally 2 years before the SL War

P-Packer had big share of local TV content with Cricket and RL

M- Murdoch had the movie content

T- Telstra was going to deliver

They argued that only one pay-tv company could operate/exist in a small country like Australia

But the Government in its wisdom said no

That was the real trigger for the non-RL aspect of the SL war. Packer realigned with new player Optus and had the RL TV rights

Once tje peace came through and Optus-Vision basically died Packer bought into Foxtel and

Packer - Murdoch - Telstra were the majority shareholders of Foxtel

RL and Ribot were just a pawn in a bigger game

So basically what you are saying is that they needed rugby league on Foxtel in order to make it work. Glad you agree with me.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Packer realigned with new player Optus and had the RL TV rights

Optus weren’t a new player. They were already in the market before Foxtel started to broadcast. If memory serves me correctly, I’d need to look it up, Packer had a share in Sportsvision(or Sports Australia) which broadcast on Optus Vision from its inception.

Don’t forget News also invested heavily into Super Rugby for exlcusive content as well.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Optus weren’t a new player. They were already in the market before Foxtel started to broadcast. If memory serves me correctly, I’d need to look it up, Packer had a share in Sportsvision(or Sports Australia) which broadcast on Optus Vision from its inception.

Don’t forget News also invested heavily into Super Rugby for exlcusive content as well.

After SL war had broken out

beave

Coach
Galaxy started early 1995. Optus and Fox were later in 1995, there was only about 4 weeks seperating Optus and Fox.

Anon

Bench
Imagine a team playing round 26 on a Sunday afternoon, missing half their team through injury but all injured players are due back the following week. They are in 8th spot, equal with another team on competition points but have a one point better differential than the team in 9th spot who have already played their final game.

They are up against the runaway minor premiers who are at full strength.

It would certainly make sense to forfeit and ensure a semi final spot (assuming no F/A is applied as happened when the SL teams forfeited).

They'd all be fresh for the semi final the following week too.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Imagine a team playing round 26 on a Sunday afternoon, missing half their team through injury but all injured players are due back the following week. They are in 8th spot, equal with another team on competition points but have a one point better differential than the team in 9th spot who have already played their final game.

It would certainly make sense to forfeit and ensure a semi final spot (assuming no F/A is applied as happened when the SL teams forfeited).

Short term gain, long term pain - I don't think their license would be renewed by the NRL.

Vic Mackey

Referee

It was because of this type of scenirio I was asking. Its the NRL so there's likley no rule in place, or if there is its from 1935 where the penalty is something like a 12-0 result against recorded and a 70 pound fine.

If a team decided it was in their best interests to do the NRL would come down on them hard, but legally may have no standing with them.

I believe its also a rule that if a team gets down to 8 players (with 5 sent off/sin binned) the games called off and they lose, however unsure if its the score at that stage or if there's further penatlies. Another avenue could be to name 5 reserve graders, then get them to start an all in brawl from the kick off. Game called off and you lose 0 all. Those 5 guys get suspended but weren't going to play next week anyway.

Latest posts