What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forfeit

Vic Mackey

Referee
Serious question, what would be the penalty if a club chose to forfeit a game? I remember the first round of 1996 (?) a heap of Super League clubs forfeited round 1. I believe in that round the teams they were drawn to play got 2 points, unsure of F/A though.

no name

Coach
Unless there is a serious change in the game (ie SuperLeague) I can’t see a forfeited game with the way the media deals are done.

kdalymc

Bench
I play Southside 3rd division in the Brisbane comp and it goes down as 40-0, 2 pts, and $500 fine.
I assume NRL would be same

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Serious question, what would be the penalty if a club chose to forfeit a game? I remember the first round of 1996 (?) a heap of Super League clubs forfeited round 1. I believe in that round the teams they were drawn to play got 2 points, unsure of F/A though.
Ask the 1909 Balmain side.

They forfeited against South Sydney.

Balmain were probably fined three florins and they were told to buy their opposite numbers a meat pie.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In the NSWRL grades (Ron Massey / Sydney Shield) forfeited games have had 2 pts awarded to the non-forfeiting team and the winning margin attributed as the average for that round.

T-Boon

Coach
The rule book says they get demoted to B-League and they are taken over by the Bears.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Can’t see the NRL letting it happen.

Too damaging to the game & the clubs.

IIRC a few years back when Luke Brooks made his debut, weren’t the tigers pretty much unable to field a team based on too many injuries in their roster so the NRL moved a rule or two to let brooks play

Nuke

Staff member
I remember the Round 1 1996 forfeits well. ARL-aligned teams down to play the SuperLeague-aligned teams that round received 2 competition points, but I don't recall for-and-against coming into it at all. There were instances of SL teams down to play eachother (Nth Qld vs Canterbury being one, if I recall?) so in those games, no points were awarded at all.

Auckland Warriors played it the best of all the SL clubs though. Either they were aligned with the ARL at the time, got the 2 competition points, and then officially defected, or (and I may be making this up due to failing memory!), they announced a team of 3rd graders or locals or something and got the 2 points due to Brisbane forfeiting.

beave

Coach
I remember the Round 1 1996 forfeits well. ARL-aligned teams down to play the SuperLeague-aligned teams that round received 2 competition points, but I don't recall for-and-against coming into it at all. There were instances of SL teams down to play eachother (Nth Qld vs Canterbury being one, if I recall?) so in those games, no points were awarded at all.

Auckland Warriors played it the best of all the SL clubs though. Either they were aligned with the ARL at the time, got the 2 competition points, and then officially defected, or (and I may be making this up due to failing memory!), they announced a team of 3rd graders or locals or something and got the 2 points due to Brisbane forfeiting.

No, you’re pretty spot on mate. The 1996 draw was just the same 1995 draw but with the venues flipped around. Whilst all the other SL aligned clubs said they wouldn’t turn up and just forfeit (I think they were waiting on legal advice) meanwhile the last SL club Auckland saw an opportunity for an easy 2 points against Brisbane and said ‘nah we’ll turn up..........’ cheeky f**kers probably hadn’t even booked their flights to Brisbane and were just full of shit.......

That’s the way I remember it. Where the f**k does 23 years go???