What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: Origin I :: Wed 3 Jun :: QLD 28 NSW 18 @ Etihad

Origin 1 :: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiki

First Grade
i thought Farah played well. i thought the Blues played well in the second half. eventhough we lost i am definitely not hanging my head in shame. they are such babies after all, they deserve another go round as a team.

btw SO PROUD of my dragons boys

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Best players:
3. Jarryd Hayne
2. Craig Wing
1. Luke Lewis and Michael Jennings
Disagree.

For mine:

3. Jarryd Hayne
2. Ben Creagh
1. Michael Weyman + Craig Wing

Hayne probably MOM, even in a losing side. Creagh was the most dominant forward on the park, and Weyman virtually single-handedly turned the momentum back in NSW's favour after QLD's 10 minute burst. Wing was explosive after he came on .. should have been on 10 minutes earlier, but then again, he was effective running at tired markers.

If Poore and Weyman don't start together in Game 2, with Bailey and Kite (or some other prop .. White?) the same thing will happen. Price = 70 Cents were too good for Bailey and Kite to handle in the opening exchanges, and the NSW boys couldn't control the ruck.

I do think it's stupid that people are saying Farah had a poor match. He outplayed Cam Smith for mine, and did his job perfectly. It was clear that Bellamy did not let him makes run from DH - the guy leads line-breaks for hookers in the NRL this year - and his distribution was fine. He set up the Hayne try which was not awarded, and then set up the Hayne try that was awarded (although lucky).

The worst thing about Farah's performance was his kicking game .. but given how bad the kicking games of Wallace and Campese were, it's hardly worth pointing out.

skeepe

Immortal
Weyman virtually single-handedly turned the momentum back in NSW's favour after QLD's 10 minute burst.

I certainly don't remember this.

I remember the old Weyman... the Weyman who drops the ball, the Weyman who takes 5 minutes to stand up and play the ball, the Weyman with no penetration.

And I only remember seeing him in the first half. Did he play in the second half at all? Honest question.

ozjet1

going into this match with Campese and Wallace as the halves was always going to be bad news.

wallace is not a dominant halfback. he plays well at club level because he's got Lockyer on the other side of the ruck marshalling the troops. but as the main man, he's got nothing IMO.

i lost count of the number of times Farrah made ineffective runs out of dummy half. he tried to do it all himself. dare i say......a hero. once again, not having at least one dominant experienced player in the halves allowed it to continue. Farrah became a rogue in blue. in contrast, the impact of wing was remarkable. he made the right decisions about when to take on the defence and also distributed the ball to his halves.....they just had no clue what to do with it most of the time.

this team was unbalanced. there are too many players who are used to running the show or getting involved in the play thinking that they are the team's matchwinner. Farah, Campese, Wallace, Lewis, Gidley, Creagh, Wing, etc. many of them are young and trying to make an impact. QLD have match winners too, but they are all allowed to get invloved. Jennings and Lyon barely got into the match, but it isnt their fault. On too many occasions, some NSW forwards (Creagh/Lewis) got out wide into the play when they shouldve remained out of it.

Lewis and Wing should not be in the same team if they're both coming off the bench.

kimmorley was always my NSW halfback. Mullen at five-eight. Ennis at hooker. kimmo is in form and playing for a winning team, wouldve demanded the pill from 'the hero wannabe', has a kicking game, and wouldve organised the troops throughout the game. Ennis has a cool head to stick to the game plan....i.e., team 1st.

in regards to the 2nd game, history suggests that the selectors normally stick to the same group with one or two changes. in this case, i reckon the original players will be coming back in.........Gallen & Stewart........and McManus being replaced by a Morris. selectors will be reluctant to make wholesale changes. but keeping the exact same 6, 7, & 9 will result in another NSW heartbreak IMO.

mxlegend99

Referee
Craig Wing has to start in Game 2. Either at 5/8 or hooker. Personally i think we would be best off with Wing and Farah on the field at the same time, so i'd run with:

6. Craig Wing
7. Jarrod Mullen
9. Robbie Farah

Terry Campese was in average form leading up to this game, and he failed to step up. Peter Wallace had a terrible game, but has been in solid club form and succeeded at Origin before... so if either is to be kept for Game 2, i think it should be Wallace. Ideally we just bring in Mullen and use Wing. Minimises the personnel changes and is a big improvement.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
And I only remember seeing him in the first half. Did he play in the second half at all? Honest question.
Yep. He played the first 20 minutes, and then came back with 10 to go.

In the second half, he was making big metres after being tackled, which has been the best feature of his game so far this season. He was carrying 2 and 3 blokes for another 5m, which helped NSW get a roll on.

Albo

Juniors
why are some people so unanalystical here

Wing got in fresh in the middle of the second half when Farah already played some 50mins in origin

of course he will add more against tiring opposition when he is fresh. thats why he is a strike player

farah did nothing wrong to lose his spot. But Campese and McManus deserved to be dropped no doubt

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
why are some people so unanalystical here

Wing got in fresh in the middle of the second half when Farah already played some 50mins in origin

of course he will add more against tiring opposition when he is fresh. thats why he is a strike player

farah did nothing wrong to lose his spot. But Campese and McManus deserved to be dropped no doubt
Yep, that's basically what I said a few posts above, but without the brevity of response.

MacDougall

First Grade
They needed a game to gel. The only players that don't deserve to retain their positions are O'Donnell, McManus and Lyon and MAYBE Wallace. Wing needs to get on the park much earlier in the contest. Throwing him on at the 30 minute mark at the expense of Campese or Wallace would have done wonders. Throw Wing into dummy half there and move Farah to first receiver and you have all kinds of danger cropping up.

Soward deserves a crack. He has been amazing this season and for people saying he isn't built for Origin, size doesn't matter in Origin it's size of the heart. Look at Thurston and Langer, small men, excellent Origin playmakers. Hopefully Lawrence is back in time to come in for McManus, Monaghan straight swap for Lyon and Gallen in for O'Donnell or even Lahrs in for O'Donnell.

Don't need to ravish the team too hard but certainly need to rid ourselves of the passengers.

trudge

Bench
As a Saints fan I can't believe I'm saying this :
Kimmorly is a General.
Idris would make Inglis sh*t himself.
Brett would stomp Darius.

Lawrence for a wing/centre spot in game 2 or 3 ???

btw Farah led the tackle count with 35 as well as nearly setting up 2 tries and for the person who said farah kicking was the only thing letting him down lets take a look at hes kicks
2 found touch
1 went dead in goal
1 repeat set of 6
1 found space and wasnt kicked straight to slater
pretty damn good kicking game
if the forwards arent going forward its very hard for the hooker to get involved

Gaba

First Grade
NSW needs a coach with game plans,no matter who they put in there they will not win NSW have killed this series by appointing no plans Bellamy as coach.

NSW played like a typical Bellamy coached team where the players had to go out and figure out the plans while they are playing,and the skill of the players werent good enough. .

Oh and if i hear ANYTHING about the qld spirit with this victory i will spew, they were expected to win ffs. They currently have a freakishly good side, especially in the backline, and it showed. I think we can turn it around somewhat but if we dont thats footy, we'll be better next year.

I at least feel we have turned the corner this year as we finally have the next generation of blues in the side.

this post hit the nail on the head,,put things into perspective, we had eight debutantes, playing against a seasoned pineapple rooters team

for the first ten minutes, we played the better footy,until a few dud decisions went against us, and when the pineapple rooters saw this they made the most of it

for a while there i thought we were going to get blown off the park, but the NSW pride in the jersey and passion came through and we came back to almost snatch a win.........WE DID NOT GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

as gus said we will have taken a lot out of that match

queensland passion HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!

what happened to the passion when we were coming back at them,NSW had way more passion last night

re tem changes imo there should not be any, the so called queensland passion is not what beats NSW our selectors do

every year we chop and change the team,whereas the queensland selectors, pick just about the same team so that they know the way each other play

as a poster said earlier imo this current team (if they are kept together) will be a brilliant team

Sleep

Juniors
:lol:

Thanks for the laughs this morning boys. Kimmorley and Patten in an Origin team. Nice one. Okay, now lets be serious...

:lol:

Eelmatta

Just what the hell was Gidley thinking? anyways a disappointing game but it's what I expected, I thought it was gonna be a blow out 30 mins in, but our Blues played hard in the second half. One thing is certain every NSW player became a better player at the end of the day. Wing was explosive and should see more time in the 2nd game, Bellamy has to keep a team and stop making changes and get some chemistry between the players.

Farrah was rubbish. His card will be marked "never to play origin again".

Did you even watch the game?

He had the only kicking game worth more than a pinch of Pelican piss. Every other kicker stuck it straight down Slater's throat.

He set up one try and set up Hayne's no-try, and he made 35 tackles with one missed tackle.

He'll be in Origin 2.