What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: R12 Fri :: Dragons 38 Panthers 10 @ WIN Wollongong

Round 12 :: Dragons v Panthers

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jasdragon

Juniors
We all have our opinions.

I thought Panthers looked the better side in most parts of the game - restricting the dragons to 25 metres sets whilst making 50-60 metres sets of their own.

The Dragons also had there share of big metre sets while the Panthers also had there poor ones. The Dragons lead from start to finish and dominated the Panthers simple as that. 38-10 says it all!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The Dragons scored all their tries off the back of penalties. If the Panthers didn't give away the penalties, the Dragons wouldn't have gotten the field position to pile on their points.

Gaba

First Grade
Nah thats newcastle, the only way they can get into the opposition territory is by penalties. Once a team cuts down on giving knights penalties the knights wont do any damage :)

Anyway im surprised no one typed what Gus Gould said, in the first 20- 30 mins of the game, the dragons looked tired and gone.As soon as he made that comment i knew the dragons were certainties to win easy

As soon he praises the panthers they fall into a hole almost immediately as he says the panthers are the goods to win a game,

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
It definitely would have been a much closer game with a closer penalty count.

Although i think the possession the penalties gave the Dragons hurt us more then the field position. The Dragons managed to tire out the majority of our players. I'm just glad they didn't exploit our backline more then they did. Big Dell could have easily scored another couple of tries if they went to him more often. Lachlan Coote has good technique and tries hard, but he just isn't big enough to stop a rampaging bloke that is 5 times his size.

I just don't understand why Matt Elliott didn't bring Junior Tia Kilifi into first grade. He's a strong winger, and that's what we needed to minimise the damage that Dell caused. If nothing else he would have added some much needed size to our backline. Certainly not enough to win. But it might have made the scoreline a bit closer.

murraymob

Coach
Nah thats newcastle, the only way they can get into the opposition territory is by penalties. Once a team cuts down on giving knights penalties the knights wont do any damage :)

Anyway im surprised no one typed what Gus Gould said, in the first 20- 30 mins of the game, the dragons looked tired and gone.As soon as he made that comment i knew the dragons were certainties to win easy

As soon he praises the panthers they fall into a hole almost immediately as he says the panthers are the goods to win a game,

very true gabba gould praising penrith sends a shudder through me every time as the result is the same.No one can carry the gould nuffy jinx just look at the roosters:lol::lol:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
i disagree willow penrith at full strength will match the dragons and be one of the games of the season something both clubs have to look forward to_Our main point scorers and defenders where missing last night.Your depth is clearly better than ours last night and deserved the win last night
We can agree to disagree but I think given the players missing last night, it's fair to say that this was a fairly even match on a club v club basis - if anything it favoured Penrith as I understand St George were without more regular first graders.

Panthers ran out of steam, Saints were looking for more points up to the final bell.

You said yourself that Saints beat you on depth, well that's part of the game and only backs up my point.

Good luck next week.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
We would gain more experience in being at full strength then the Dragons would. Your depth players were far more experienced then ours. Your 1/6/7/9 was also a sh*tload more experienced then ours, and was able to work a lot better with disruptions to the side then ours was.
Well, we are talking about this year... 2009.

I think you're trying say that Saints were the better team. If that's the case, then I certainly agree with you. :D

thommo4pm

Coach
The Dragons scored all their tries off the back of penalties. If the Panthers didn't give away the penalties, the Dragons wouldn't have gotten the field position to pile on their points.

As you stated yourself, penalties are part and parcel of the game.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well, we are talking about this year... 2009.

I think you're trying say that Saints were the better team. If that's the case, then I certainly agree with you. :D
Ofcourse your team was better then ours. I think Wayne Bennett alone makes the Dragons a better team then the Panthers.

He's just a great coach, and is so experienced at getting the most out of his teams even when they're depleted thanks to Origin. Matt Elliott was absolutely screwed the second Lewis, Petero and Jennings weren't in the side.

We're stuck with him for another two seasons after this year. :(

God-King Dean

Immortal
JobDog said:

Gaba said:

JobDog said:
Think you'll find penalties are part and parcel of the game ...

:lol:

pantherz9103

First Grade
Dragons still had Wendell, Hornby, Priddo, Soward, Brett Morris, Scott, Costigan Who did we have? Nuff Nuffs like Paulo and Daniela and sadly Walsh had a poor game tonight for the 1st time.

We should've been closer but we certainly weren't good enough to win on the night. Our horror record at WIN continues. Hurry back Petero, Lewis and Jennings. You better not get injured!

Put that loss down to experience (or inexperience!). Move on.

abpanther

Staff member
I was at the game, haven't seen it on TV so I may be way off.

Penalty count was ok, but man the Dragons were offside on many occasions and is wasn't called, on the play that Pritchard broke through on the right in the second half and offloaded to Blair who got tackled, after they played the ball the whole Dragons team was in front of the ref and no call.

Also, that penalty just after half time killed us, wasn't that a spear tackle (again I havent seen the game on TV)?

ALso, wasn't there a forward pass by Hornby on one of the tries in the 2nd half?

Great game by the Dragons, too good for us, although I agree that we would have a better chance with full strength sides.

mxlegend99

Referee
Apparently they also played the ball toward the sideline for his second try. I dont remember the incident, so i'm not sure how bad it was.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Also, that penalty just after half time killed us, wasn't that a spear tackle (again I havent seen the game on TV)?

It was a fair toss. Assuming we are talking about the same incident. I didn't see any spear tackles.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Apparently they also played the ball toward the sideline for his second try. I dont remember the incident, so i'm not sure how bad it was.

Good grief... lol.

Are you guys getting out the 'apparently' and 'don't remember' slide rules now?

Mate, I've watched the game twice now and Saints were the best team on the park last night. It can't be healthy to dwell on it. ;-)

Latest posts