What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R17 | Mon | Dragons 8-12 Panthers | WIN Jubilee

Result: Dragons v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thommo4pm

Coach
This is a shame (no sarcasm at all), we are looking at up to 14-15 players out from both sides combined.
Both sides in white hot form, and with full sides in, had the potential for match of the year for sure.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
St George Illawarra Dragons v Penrith Panthers
Monday 5 July 2010, 7:00pm AEST - WIN Jubilee Oval
Referees: Jared Maxwell and Brett Suttor; Touch Judges: Grant Atkins and Daniel Eastwood; Video Referee: Chris Ward

Dragons
:
1. Jason Nightingale 2. Michael Lett 3. Kyle Stanley 4. Matt Prior 5. Kalifa Faifai-loa 6. Jamie Soward 7. Ben Hornby 8. Jon Green 9. Luke Priddis 10. Ricky Thorby 11. Jeremy Smith 12. Ben Creagh 13. Dean Young
Interchange: 14. Michael Greenfield 15. Trent Merrin 16. Nick Emmett 17. Jarrod Saffy; Reserves: 18. Jake Marketo 19. Mark Gasnier
Panthers
:
1. Lachlan Coote 2. David Simmons 3. Brad Tighe 4. Adrian Purtell 5. Sandor Earl 6. Travis Burns 7. Wade Graham 8. Tim Grant 9.Kevin Kingston 10. Matthew Bell 11. Frank Pritchard 12. Trent Waterhouse 13. Joseph Paulo
Interchange: 14. Masada Iosefa 15. Gavin Cooper 16. Nathan Smith 17. Sam McKendry; Reserves: 18. Frank Puletua

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=19488

Vossy

Bench

2010teams-pen-main.jpg

1. Lachlan Coote 2. David Simmons 3. Brad Tighe 4. Adrian Purtell 5. Sandor Earl 6. Travis Burns 7. Wade Graham
8. Tim Grant 9.Kevin Kingston 10. Matthew Bell 11. Frank Pritchard 12. Trent Waterhouse 13. Joseph Paulo​

Interchange: 14. Masada Iosefa 15. Gavin Cooper 16. Nathan Smith 17. Sam McKendry
Reserves: 18. Frank Puletua​

thanks again :)

Eelectrica

Referee
Going to be a great matchup when these two teams meet at full strength in the finals somewhere, but for now I'll stick with the Dragons.

Sleep

Juniors
Disappointing that the best two teams thus far might not meet again this year at full strength.

I think the Panthers forwards might get over the top of the Dragons but we just might lack the experience and attack to put them away.

Hopefully Coote has a huge match because we'll need it from him.

Ulysseus

Bench
IT will be tight potentially.
As others have said, shame it is on a Monday, shame it has been f**ked by players being unavailable due to rep commitments (injury / suspensions are going to happen whether we like it or not, particularly injuries).
It is hard to pick, whoever gets on top first will get the win.

Why this game was not done outside of Origin on a Friday night at a larger venue given both teams standings on the ladder I do not know.

mxlegend99

Referee
There was a minor change to the team just after the official announcement. Doesn't appear to have been caught on here yet.

It has just hit the media, well done Members for holding on to this for four hours:
Round 17 Members only Team announcement

1. Lachlan Coote
2. David Simmons
3. Brad Tighe
4. Adrian Purtell
5. Sandor Earl
6. Travis Burns
7. Wade Graham
8. Tim Grant
9.Kevin Kingston
10. Matthew Bell
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Trent Waterhouse
13. Nathan Smith

Interchange
14. Masada Iosefa
15. Gavin Cooper
16. Joseph Paulo
17. Sam McKendry

18. Frank Puletua

Please note that Civoniceva, Gordon, Jennings, Lewis are all unavailable due to Origin selection or anticipated selection.

Luke Walsh is unavailable due to injury - hamstring strain.
Source

The post by Andrew Farrell on PI:
Just posted the correction about Smith/Paulo. In the original team announced to members Paulo was starting, it has since been changed to Smith starting for the official team line up to appear in Big League.

Why? Not sure, the video this week has Matt Elliott announcing the team and making some comments about the mnake up of the side.

Hopefully Joseph Paulo or Masada Iosefa drop off the extended bench. We're going to need two front rowers. Matt Elliott always seems to name a front rower on the extended bench and drop one of the top 17 on game day. I hope he does it again this week.

abpanther

Staff member
Hey Dragons fans,

Assuming Gasnier plays, I assume Prior will move to the bench and Emmett will drop off??

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Hey Dragons fans,

Assuming Gasnier plays, I assume Prior will move to the bench and Emmett will drop off??

Prior will go to front row, Thorby to bench, Emmett and Marketo to drop off the bench I'd say. There is a chance that Thorby may just drop from the side completely though and Emmett stays on the bench. Depends on how Bennett feels he needs to combat the big Panthers pack.

Big Pete

Referee
I'll say it again, I hate the Origin period.

Dragons should be too classy for the Panthers.

smacky

Juniors
id gaz does play im assuming it will be off the bench. He'll come on moving prior to prop.

mxlegend99

Referee
I can't see the Panthers winning this game. We've had a steady group of players all season with Gordon, Jennings and Walsh being part of all games. Lewis has been in nearly every game aswell.

Amazingly I think the loss of Petero will effect us the least. We've gotten used to covering for him and Matt Elliott has planned his use of Frank Puletua so far this season around trying to minimise the damage of him playing Origin.

Luke Lewis is our biggest loss. Nathan Smith was most likely rested last week to cover for him this week. It's a massive downgrade though. Lewis has taken a lot of pressure of our halves with him basically playing as a second 5/8.

Luke Walsh and his kicking game has been a huge part part of us being where we are right now. Hopefully Wade Graham can step up. He won't have the help of Lewis though and will pretty much have to do it on his own. A huge test for him.

Michael Jennings was probably expected to miss a few club games for Origin. We're lucky that we're only missing him for one game. Hopefully Tighe is up for a big game after being moved to centre.

Michael Gordon is without a doubt the most unexpected loss. Panthers fans have rated him highly for a long time now, but he never really seemed to even rate a mention for an Origin position. With the loss of him ontop of Jennings our 3/4s look very weak.

The Dragons are missing similar quality/quantity through Origin, but are better equipped to deal with it IMO. Especially with the unexpected (at the start of the season) boost of having Mark Gasnier and how guys like Stanley have played so well they're putting pressure on a backline full of rep players.

Do you sydneysiders reckon there will be much a of a turnout from the panthers faithful at OKI jubilee?

Ive been disappointed recently when expecting bi partisan crowds from both the dragons v parra and dragons v tigers games. Both games it has seemed like there was minimal turnout from the away fans.

Do you think many penny fans will show up considering how well they are doing this year?

Dragon

Coach
I think we will get done this week. Boyd is our attacking key and without him we will struggle to score points.

Paullyboy

Coach
I think Penrith have been massive over-achievers, and take out their guns they will be absolute cannon-fodder for the Dragons.

mxlegend99

Referee
Do you sydneysiders reckon there will be much a of a turnout from the panthers faithful at OKI jubilee?

Ive been disappointed recently when expecting bi partisan crowds from both the dragons v parra and dragons v tigers games. Both games it has seemed like there was minimal turnout from the away fans.

Do you think many penny fans will show up considering how well they are doing this year?
I wouldn't expect a massive turnout. Between being a Monday night game and having the Origin stars out it's unlikely that too many would want to make the trip.

About the only thing in our favour is it being a top of the table clash. But without Origin players that's pretty much irrelevant.

Latest posts