What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R17 | Mon | Dragons 8-12 Panthers | WIN Jubilee

Result: Dragons v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheFrog

Coach
I think Penrith haven't won at Kogarah Oval since about 1994 or '95

Penrith last won at Kogarah, 6-4 in 1994, mind you they've only played there 3 times since then, Jubilee only recently being considered a "boutique" ground. The only other Penrith win at this ground was 23-10 in 1982. 2 wins from 25 games. This is not our favourite ground.

I most remember the 40-6 hiding in 1984, which followed a then club record 6 wins on the trot.

TheFrog

Coach
I think Penrith have been massive over-achievers, and take out their guns they will be absolute cannon-fodder for the Dragons.

Yes of course, Mate, it is the Raiders who should be in second spot, right? What a consistent side they aren't.

Why this game was not done outside of Origin on a Friday night at a larger venue given both teams standings on the ladder I do not know.

When it was decided to play this game in Origin 3 week both these teams had just crashed out of the 2009 comp in the most ignominious manner imaginable. It might have been predictable that StG-Ill would be going well but no-one had a clue about the Panthers.

This was given Monday night status about 10 weeks ago, I believe. At that stage the Panthers were fringe top 8 at best, certainly not expected by "the experts" to be 4 points clear in second place by round 16.

Last edited:

thommo4pm

Coach
Emmett wont drop off the bench for us.

He'll be there regardless of what happens with Gasnier.
He provides coverage for several positions.

Paullyboy

Coach
Yes of course, Mate, it is the Raiders who should be in second spot, right? What a consistent side they aren't.

This is what I hate about these forums, you can't make an assessment of another team without some fool assuming you are saying your own team deserves to be in their place.

No mate, I don't think the Raiders deserve to be anywhere near the top 8 at the moment, but does that mean I can't comment on the Panthers? Fair dinkum there are some clowns on here.

This is what I hate about these forums, you can't make an assessment of another team without some fool assuming you are saying your own team deserves to be in their place.

No mate, I don't think the Raiders deserve to be anywhere near the top 8 at the moment, but does that mean I can't comment on the Panthers? Fair dinkum there are some clowns on here.

True that. And furthermore we're somehow all whingers because of one blokes continual pisstake about the refs.

Doomednow

Bench
I guess no one will take Penrith seriously until we win another GF. I wont be at this match because I will be working all monday up until midnight. Wish I could at least watch it on the tv though. Interested to see who in the squad steps it up the most.

Doomednow

Bench
I guess no one will take Penrith seriously until we win another GF. I wont be at this match because I will be working all monday up until midnight. Wish I could at least watch it on the tv though. Interested to see who in the squad steps it up the most.

The Tank

Bench
Dragons should walk this IMO... It would have been a great game if both teams were even close to full strength. Both teams have been warming up to this one (Penrith have looked really good in our previous 2 games and Saints looked great against Wests Tigers).

TheFrog

Coach

1. It was a poor assessment. As the coach asked the other day, which of the side's 10 wins from 14 games have been by accident?
2. If you hate these forums, take your big, ugly, bandwidth-consuming Viking and piss off. There's a good fella.

1. It was a poor assessment. As the coach asked the other day, which of the side's 10 wins from 14 games have been by accident?
2. If you hate these forums, take your big, ugly, bandwidth-consuming Viking and piss off. There's a good fella.

1. Overachieving is not the same as fluking or winning by accident you abolsute dunce. FMD.

2. Some people get way too defensive when someone questions their team. You better hope that they dont get towelled up by the dragons or you are going to be made to look like a fool.

3. Take your frog sized brain and piss off

4. Go the Dragons!!

mxlegend99

Referee
NRL.com mentioned how Walsh and Jennings were responsible for a lot of our points. I just went through and looked at how many points these blokes were had a hand or foot in between try assists, tries, goals and field goals.

Panthers have scored 68 tries this season. Of those 68 tries, 43 were from try assists to 4 of the players we're missing. Luke Walsh (27), Luke Lewis (11), Michael Jennings (4) and Michael Gordon (1).

Michael Gordon has kicked 60 goals. Luke Walsh has kicked a field goal.

They account for 293 points (of 393 total) that we've scored this season. That's not including the tries that these players have scored as some of the tries scored would double up with the try assists. Between them though they have scored 23 tries. Michael Jennings (10), Michael Gordon (7), Luke Lewis (5) and Luke Walsh (1).

TheFrog

Coach
1. Overachieving is not the same as fluking or winning by accident you abolsute dunce. FMD.

So what does it mean? I take it as "the team is not worthy of its position on the table". Well I think we are, OK. And the insults are rather passe, I'm afraid. It's very easy to throw around insults on an anonymous forum. As the ad says "no one thinks big of you" because you are able to insult others with the cloak of anonymity.

2. Some people get way too defensive when someone questions their team. You better hope that they dont get towelled up by the dragons or you are going to be made to look like a fool.

Not entirely sure why. We are underdogs for this game, and have a lot of players out, as do the opposition. It could go either way but being at Kogarah I'm not terribly confident. We've had a few towellings at this joint. The main thing is this is not a final and in the scheme of things not hugely important. We will still be second if we are beaten by 100 points.
3. Take your frog sized brain and piss off
Trying for second prize, huh. Like the '91 salary cap cheating Raiders?

4. Go the Dragons!!
Given up on your mob already? I would suggest you jump on some other bandwagon, StGeorge do not have a good record of winning premierships recently, in case you hadn't noticed. Especially for a team that makes the finals every year.

Last edited:

Sleep

Juniors
Jeremy Smith got ruled out today. Gasnier will definitely start the game on the bench.

TheFrog

Coach
NRL.com mentioned how Walsh and Jennings were responsible for a lot of our points. I just went through and looked at how many points these blokes were had a hand or foot in between try assists, tries, goals and field goals.

Panthers have scored 68 tries this season. Of those 68 tries, 43 were from try assists to 4 of the players we're missing. Luke Walsh (27), Luke Lewis (11), Michael Jennings (4) and Michael Gordon (1).

Michael Gordon has kicked 60 goals. Luke Walsh has kicked a field goal.

They account for 293 points (of 393 total) that we've scored this season. That's not including the tries that these players have scored as some of the tries scored would double up with the try assists. Between them though they have scored 23 tries. Michael Jennings (10), Michael Gordon (7), Luke Lewis (5) and Luke Walsh (1).

The player not mentioned above that I believe has has an awful lot to do with the Panthers success this season is Lachlan Coote. Leading tryscorer in the NRL, and quite a few try assists as well. Many of those 27 Luke Walsh try assists have been scored by Coote.

Walsh is growing into the No 7 more every week. Kingston has made a considerable difference as well. But the biggest boost has been Coote, in my view. Along with the team remaining healthy in the main, which didn't happen last year.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I think Penrith have been massive over-achievers, and take out their guns they will be absolute cannon-fodder for the Dragons.

The absence of Walsh will be what really hurts them (like any team that loses their chief playmaker; a big part of the Dragons winning ways over the last two seasons has been the constant presence of the Soward-Hornby combination). They've shown they can go forward without Petero, which was a problem over the last couple of seasons. They also have one of the most exciting young players in the league in Coote. It's up to him and Wade Graham to step up in Walsh's absence. They'll also miss Lewis, but Waterhouse getting dropped is a huge plus for them (like Creagh getting dropped is for us). I don't think it'll be a cakewalk for us at all.

As for being over-achievers, they are in the sense of what everyone expected pre-season (the Eels and Dogs being the opposite), but I don't think anyone can argue they don't deserve their ladder position. What other team, aside form the Saints, has any claim to deserving the Panthers spot on the ladder? They have been the only two teams to show anything like consistent good form.

Eelectrica

Referee

Most people are taking the Panthers very seriously. Had the Panthers not been missing so many crucial playmakers due to Origin this poll would be a lot closer I think.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Panthers won, but can't pick due to missing players.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Origin sh*ts me sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love Origin, never miss a game, and cheer (and hurl abuse) as loudly as anyone. But it sucks the way it detracts from the competition proper for two months, and wrecks contests like Monday night's that should be up there with the games of the season.

thommo4pm

Coach
Jeremy Smith got ruled out today. Gasnier will definitely start the game on the bench.

ARRRGGGGHHHHH.....so now we have 9 players out again.
We needed him for this match. We were hoping Smith would cover a few spots for us during Origin, and really he has done next to nothing for us. I love the bloke, but he has some injuries in him. :(

petetheileet

First Grade
Penrith have been playing for each other all season, with a great attitude...

With Walsh still there i gave them a good chance...

Now i feel they will be doing it tough to win....

No Smith Costigan or Weyman...

Saints Pack looses a lot of starch...

If we were playing a team like the raiders or manly this week they would carve us up.

Surely when we get these three on the park together, big teams will stop running over the top of us!