What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100 Greatest Moments for South Sydney since 2002's return.

2015 - Round 13 vs NZ Warriors at NIB Stadium, Perth

Souths dismantle the Warriors in Perth, 36-4, in a hugely entertaining try-fest from the West Coast.

2014 - Round 22 vs Manly-Warringah at the SCG.

I remember getting to this game in 2014 at the SCG. It was a logistical nightmare for a Friday night but boy was it worth it.

When Manly scored first, I thought maybe they'd get us.

But from there, we pretty much saw Souths stamping their intent on one of the comp's leaders.

And despite losing to Nth Qld and the Roosters in two of the final four rounds, I was fairly confident we could win the comp from here.

2004 - Round 14 vs Melbourne at the SFS.

Arthur Kitinas' first game as coach after Paul Langmack had been relieved of the clipboard.

Arthur won his first two games until we got murdered at the SCG by the Dragons 52-12 the following week.

Still, this was a handy win. Back in the day when 4-5 wins was a 'major' achievement and something to be trumpeted by Souths' faithful for the following week.

It was also Joe Williams 2nd game and first win.

2005 - Round 19 vs North Queensland at Townsville.

I just remember the last ten minutes. It was 14 all. It was tit for tat. And Souths holding on for grim life and getting some divine intervention help from ref Shayne Hayne. I seem to recall a field goal attempt where we kept them in goal, despite half the Souths team being in front of the kicker. So we got a line drop out, and from that set of six, Travis Norton stripped the ball and Brad Watts kicked the penalty goal. With five minutes to go, it was a defensive scramble and with 30 seconds, a minute to go...we got the ball and held on and couldn't lose.

Geez I wish I could find some vision of it. I remember Justin Smith (ex-Souths too) was an absolute demon for the Cowboys.

A 16-14 win is bloody satisfying, though not good for the heart.

2004 - Round 17 vs Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

South Sydney's most capped player and most recent Premiership winning captain...John Sutton.

He debuted against the Broncos in 2004, copping a shellacking in his first First Grade game. 48-28. Ouch!

I've always liked John Sutton. I can't believe it's been 13 years since I watched him debut. He had a lot of wraps and was always said to have potential. He didn't quite make the rep scene but he has given enormous service to our club through the ups and downs of the many years he's played. And sure, his captain's speech at the GF in 2014 left a little to be desired (including a brush with the law in Arizona too), bur there's no denying that he's been instrumental in many Souths victories over the seasons.

I feel old now. I can't believe this skinny kid I watched in the days when I got a chance to watch a lot more junior matches has had a pretty good club career. That he was the man who led us to 21, I can't ever forget that.

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 6.49.22 pm.png Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 6.57.00 pm.png

callmack1

Staff member
Careful now Callmack. I have mentioned times when I've been emotional and they try and tear me to shreds over it and say it's just a game!!!!!!!
Haha I know. Never be afraid to show your emotion and passion mate.

callmack1

Staff member
2014 - Round 23 vs Brisbane at ANZ.

GI scores a treble against the Broncos.

Out comes the Goanna.

Won't ever forget this one. One of the best individual performances I've seen. He got a perfect 10 in thr RLW ratings for that game, something very few players have done.

callmack1

Staff member
Loving this thread!! We had plenty of dark days in the mid 2000's but it's sooooo good to relive the good stuff! Still sends shivers down my spine.

I was going to post some myself but you've got me covered Mad Hatter!;)

Loving this thread!! We had plenty of dark days in the mid 2000's but it's sooooo good to relive the good stuff! Still sends shivers down my spine.

I was going to post some myself but you've got me covered Mad Hatter!;)

No, please do.

There are good moments in losses, tries, tackles and what not that escape me too.

Post everything you can. This'll be a time capsule for the past and the future.