What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | Finals Wk 1 | Sun | Storm 18-8 Knights | AAMI

FW1: MEL v NEW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fourth Qualifying Final - 1st v 8th
Melbourne Storm v Newcastle Knights
Sunday 11 September 2011, kickoff 4:00pm; AAMI Park, Melbourne
Live TV: Channel 9 NSW/QLD; Live Radio: 2GB, ABC + Networks
Referees: Ashley Klein and Adam Devcich; Touch Judges: Jeff Younis and Adam Reid; Video Referee: Paul Simpkins and Phil Cooley

Storm: 1. Billy Slater 2. Matthew Duffie 3. Dane Nielsen 4. Beau Champion 5. Anthony Quinn 6. Maurice Blair 7. Cooper Cronk 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith 10. Bryan Norrie 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Sika Manu 13. Todd Lowrie
Interchange: 14. Ryan Hinchcliffe 15. Rory Kostjasyn 16. Adam Woolnough 17. Jaiman Lowe 18. Troy Thompson 19. Sisa Waqa
Knights: 1. Kurt Gidley 2. James McManus 3. Junior Sa'u 4. Adam MacDougall 5. Akuila Uate 6. Ryan Stig 7. Jarrod Mullen 8. Evarn Tuimavave 9. Isaac De Gois 10. Antonio Kaufusi 11. Chris Houston 12. Neville Costigan 13. Joel Edwards
Interchange: 14. Steve Southern 15. Zane Tetavano 16. Richard Fa'aoso 17. Mark Taufua

Teams for all four grades - Finals Week One - http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=21948

Lowdown

Juniors
Last two Storm/Knights game in Melbourne saw Storm win by 30 points each time.

Therefore, Storm by 30 points. There's just something about this Storm team. I've never seen them this focused. Whilst Knights are dangerous, they've hardly set the world on fire this year. If you're relying on your outside winger to come up with the big plays, then fair enough. I'd much rather rely on people who touch the ball far more often. That's where the likes of Smith, Cronk and Slater come to the fore.

Loss of Widdop and Adam Blair will hurt. But Bobby Blair is a handy replacement and I dont think we'll lose too much there, now that Cronk's back and running the show. Don't be surprised to see Kostjasyn move to 5/8 and Blair start in the centres. Rory has been very impressive, and Storm will be keen to ensure Blair strengthens their right side defence.

natheel

Coach
Can't see anything but a storm win...will be close though knights will get alot of confidence from beating souths

jonno_knights

Juniors
Last two Storm/Knights game in Melbourne saw Storm win by 30 points each time.

Therefore, Storm by 30 points. There's just something about this Storm team. I've never seen them this focused. Whilst Knights are dangerous, they've hardly set the world on fire this year. If you're relying on your outside winger to come up with the big plays, then fair enough. I'd much rather rely on people who touch the ball far more often. That's where the likes of Smith, Cronk and Slater come to the fore.

Loss of Widdop and Adam Blair will hurt. But Bobby Blair is a handy replacement and I dont think we'll lose too much there, now that Cronk's back and running the show. Don't be surprised to see Kostjasyn move to 5/8 and Blair start in the centres. Rory has been very impressive, and Storm will be keen to ensure Blair strengthens their right side defence.

Knights were also within striking distance in both of those games mid-way through the second half, within a try or two (although being dominated). Something similar may happen again if the players dont fix their second half woes.

azza18

Juniors
The storm will probably win, but i reckon it will be fairly close given that the storm have a few players out with injuries, suspensions and what-not. tbh i wouldn't mind seeing them lose a few more to injury after sunday :p

Jason Maher

Immortal
Newcatsle will win by a dodgy field goal in the 75th minute of Golden Point, after tonight's games go 1 each way (from a Dragons perspective)...

Wet weather in Melbourne today....hope it turns into a forward battle.

Storm should win by 10 and Duffie will be first try scorer.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Well courtesy of Manly and Brisbane winning last night, I don't have to cheer for the purple merkins as well. Come on Newcastle! Pull an upset from somewhere.