What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | R20 | Fri | Storm 26-6 Broncos | AAMI

R20: MEL v BRI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Broncos
Friday 22 July 2011, kickoff 7:30pm; AAMI Park
TV: Live Channel 9 QLD; Live Radio: ABC + Network
Referees: Tony Archer and Ashley Klein; Touch Judges: Paul Holland and Luke Potter; Video Referee: Paul Simpkins

Storm: 1. Billy Slater 2. Matt Duffie 3. Dane Nielsen 4. Maurice Blair 5. Justin O'Neill 6. Gareth Widdop 7. Cooper Cronk 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith (c) 10. Bryan Norrie 11. Adam Blair 12. Sika Manu 13. Kevin Proctor
Interchange: 14. Rory Kostjasyn 15. Ryan Hinchcliffe 16. Adam Woolnough 17. Jaiman Lowe 18. Todd Lowrie
Broncos: 1. Josh Hoffman 2. Gerard Beale 3. Jack Reed 4. Justin Hodges 5. Jharal Yow Yeh 6. Darren Lockyer (c) 7. Peter Wallace 8. Ben Hannant 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Scott Anderson 11. Alex Glenn 12. Sam Thaiday 13. Corey Parker
Interchange: 14. Matt Gillett 15. Ben Hunt 16. Mitchell Dodds 17. Josh McGuire 18. Dunamis Lui

In the other big derby at Melbourne's AAMI Park, the Storm will retain Justin O'Neill on the wing as they are unchanged to face the Broncos. Kurt Baptiste is out for the visitors while Scott Anderson has been cleared to play.

NRL Teams R20: http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=21595

Around the Grounds - Team News R20: http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=21607

Lowdown

Juniors
This game will come down to the defense.

You'd have to think that Storm at home, in front of a packed crowd will get up. They'll frustrate the broncos and wrestle them out of the contest.

Broncos need a huge game from Lockyer and Wallace - but to be honest, I can see either rising enough to win this. Broncos have been smacked around a few times in Melbourne of late.

And you can ignore last year's AAMI Park opener. No Smith, no points and a different squad is not a fare comparison.

Big Pete

Referee
Last time these two teams faced the Broncos were without Lockyer, Hodges, Hannant and Thaiday and only went down in the final minutes. Circumstances are certainly different but I believe it suggests the Broncos will at least hang with Melbourne.

Tough one to pick, might have to lean with the home-side but I feel quietly confident about the Broncos. If we play from infront I don't think the Storm will be able to settle into their groove.

Lowdown

Juniors
Last time these two teams faced the Broncos were without Lockyer, Hodges, Hannant and Thaiday and only went down in the final minutes. Circumstances are certainly different but I believe it suggests the Broncos will at least hang with Melbourne.

But look at the form of the Storm around that time. We had losses to Warriors at home, Raiders at home, and scraped through some ordinary results against other teams (Broncos included).

Since the loss to the Raiders, its a new team with some settled combinations. We got rid of Champion and replaced him with 'The Rock' Maurice Blair. Sisa Waqa has also been a revelation on the wing (but he is out).

Duffy is back in form, and we've now got the Origin distraction behind us (as do the Broncos).

The Storm were well beneath their best v the Broncos at Suncorp and lets not forget a few of them were coming right off a fierce Test hangover.

There are no excuses now for either team. Its a true test of both teams to see who will rightfully emerge as the favourites for the comp alongside the Dragons.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
But look at the form of the Storm around that time. We had losses to Warriors at home, Raiders at home, and scraped through some ordinary results against other teams (Broncos included).

Since the loss to the Raiders, its a new team with some settled combinations. We got rid of Champion and replaced him with 'The Rock' Maurice Blair. Sisa Waqa has also been a revelation on the wing (but he is out).

Duffy is back in form, and we've now got the Origin distraction behind us (as do the Broncos).

The Storm were well beneath their best v the Broncos at Suncorp and lets not forget a few of them were coming right off a fierce Test hangover.

There are no excuses now for either team. Its a true test of both teams to see who will rightfully emerge as the favourites for the comp alongside the Dragons.

No need to get all defensive, I just said it was an indicator and the Storm haven't produced anything since that match to say they're a completely different side.

But just to poke holes at your post - both Blair and Waqa played against the Broncos. Cronk barely played in the Test match and he was in fine form that night.

On the other hand, the Broncos were without the players I listed as well as Hoffman, Gillett and McGuire and the Storm were able to exploit that. In fact, Yow Yeh had to play centre just to make things work.

Sure the Storm were affected as well and they'll welcome back Duffie and Manu and they'll be better prepared but they weren't as affected as the Broncos were.

And results may not have been kind in the past, but the past is something Melbourne fans won't want to remember because it's redundant.

I believe it'll be a good game and a great test of where both teams are at.

Lowdown

Juniors
No need to get all defensive

The only ones getting defensive will be the Storm tonight on the ponies' asses.

PS - the point I war trying to make - was not the Maurice Blair or Waqa didnt play last time the two teams met. It was both players made their debut in the backline that game. Since then - they've performed well and have had time to settle into the system, and its showing in the results.

That said, Justin O'Neil has done nothing wrong this season and is a damn fine replacement for Sisa.

The game was closer than it needed to be - but you wont see Billy Slater make two direct errors that led to tries in another game this season.

Latest posts