What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 | FOUNDATION CUP | Sat 23 Feb | Roosters 28-16 Tigers | Allianz

Foundation Cup: Roosters v Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BranVan3000

Coach
Easts have promise

+ Halves looked a good match for each other
+ provided some good spark in attack
+ Outside backs really talented, and athletic

- Forward pack didnt impress though, should have done much better against the paper bags that are the Tigers pack
- still full of unforced errors

Didn't have much thrown at them but their defence seemed well organised. We will see how that goes, but they seem top 8 bound

Tigers
the tigers were woeful. The commentators said they seemed improved but I couldn't disagree more

+ Completions were high in the first half

- forward pack was woeful
- poor defensive reads
- no creativity across the team, which is strange compared to a few years ago
- Bunji doesn't give a shit
- Coach seemed to have no idea what he was on but when interviewed before the game

I'm not really surprised, Pettybourne made some indirect comments about how easy training was at Tigers when going there this off season. Overall they look bottom four bound. They look unfit and seemed exhausted by the finish.

super_coach

First Grade
Iam afraid nothing much has changed for the Tigers, come up against a big robust forward pack and they fold like a pack of cards. I just don't understand their recruitment plan if their is one, its been the same problem for years. It would not matter who was coaching them, they just don't have the required physical presence to expect to be in or near the big games at the end of the year.

On the other hand I expect the Chooks to be right up their. They have a very good mix of the right sort of players in their roster

Vic Mackey

Referee
Meh tigers lost both trials in 2005 to teams that didn't end Up making the 8

Wasn't great but it will mean sweet fa come round 1

BranVan3000

Coach
Meh tigers lost both trials in 2005 to teams that didn't end Up making the 8

Wasn't great but it will mean sweet fa come round 1

You are right it's too early to say definitively, we lost all our trials last year. Butt its never a good sign when your team doesn't look fit

Clifferd

Coach
:lol: at trial form being the measure of how the season is gonna go for a team.

It's a trial game ffs, to try out new positions, combinations etc, isn't that the whole idea of it...

Paramatta in 2010? or 2011 won all 3 games and where did they finish?

Try commenting on the Tigers after atleast the first 5 rounds then we'll see where we are at..

super_coach

First Grade
I love my Tigers and yes it was a trail and the result dosnt count for much, but what the game told me was not much has changed from previous years.

I expect some real improvement this year especially in effort and defense but I really cant see them beating the better sides. They need to make some real smart recruitment decisions for 2014

Vic Mackey

Referee
You are right it's too early to say definitively, we lost all our trials last year. Butt its never a good sign when your team doesn't look fit

I don't understand how you say they didn't look fit. The tigers scored 2 tries in the last 7 minutes.

I wasn't doing cartwheels last week and I'm not slitting my wrists this week.

RWB

Bench
The wet conditions were never going to suit the Tigers. We already know they're not a team who is going to have any success grinding out games and winning purely on the back of their forward pack especially without the forward who carried them last season.

I don't think the Tigers are a great side, I didn't need the trials to tell me that but they're a lot better than what was on display tonight. Unfortunately for them there were some bad habits that seem to still be in their game, whilst it's just a trial old habits die hard and this isn't a great sign for them.

However new coach, new system I'm willing to give them time to prove me wrong. I think the key things to watch will be how quickly Marshall adapts going back to the 5/8 role (Thurston struggled early in 2012 doing the same thing) and whether or not Potter can come up with a game plan that suits this side.

Tommy Smith

Referee
We looked very good for a trial game. Add a fit and firing genius of the game in SBW and there's no reason why we cant contend this year.

It's already scary the upgrade at 5/8 we've got from Analstar to Maloney.

adamkungl

Immortal
Big surprise, SBW nowhere to be seen. I wonder how much of a theme this is going to be at the Roosters this season.

Thanks for the update. Pretty disappointing SBW is not playing and I won't be surprised of its am ongoing theme for him

It's a trial you f**ksticks.

Roosters obviously have a plan to kick dead at the end of every set to negate moltzens deadly kick returns

Haha I thought this during the game as well

Clear shoulder charge by Guerra goes unpenalised to smash the man mountain 26 for the tigers...

Hopefully the refs run the bullshit shoulder charge rule like that all year :D

Massive hit, you could hear it from here