What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 | R1 | Thu | Roosters 10-28 Rabbitohs | Allianz

Round 1: Roosters v Rabbitohs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vvvrulz

Coach
I dug around this thread specifically to read everyone spewing with the $BW voice overs.

10 mins well spent.

Lambretta

First Grade
Some thoughts on the evening as a whole

Thursday night football
Personally I'm not a fan. The game started far too late for a weekday kickoff and whilst that meant people were able to get to the game, I didn't get home until 11.30 and I didn't stop for a drink afterwards. As it was midweek there was no drinking for me as I am working today. It didn't seem to stop the masses coming out - maybe that was the occasion rather than a positive feeling about Thursday night games. Who knows?

The crowd / atmosphere
WOW - what an occasion - the stadium was packed and Roosters fans actually outnumbered Souths fans and by a bit of a margin too! Both sets of supporters were great and there weren't many harsh words between the two. I heard of one drunken knob end in the chook pen throwing beer at someone, but he got thrown out. Nice to get a text from the Mad Hatter wishing both sets of supporters luck. Thanks mate.

The game
The Roosters started well, but poor discipline and attention to details let them down. They defended well for long periods, but kept putting themselves under pressure with silly penalties. Luck also seemed to be against Easts. Whenever Souths made an error they seemed to be awarded a penalty. It's hard to tell in the stadium if the penalties were justified, but one try came from a penalty after what looked like a blatant knock on. Souths were awesome up front and made easy metres all night - their tackling in defence was immense and they kept the Roosters penned in their own end. They were the deserving winners. Easts are a work in progress and if they can get their discipline right (yes Jake Friend you f**king muppet I'm looking at you) they will improve. Well, lets face it - they have to. Souths are my tip for a top 4 finish without a doubt. Oh and I've been saying that since last year - it's not on the back of that performance. Had Kennedy scored that try and Jennings not stuffed that chance things could have been different - so I'm not suicidal just yet. Oh and SKD and RTS - sort yourselves out. You were found wanting in defence. PS. We should have signed Segyaro not Luke O Donnell.

Lambretta

First Grade
I recorded the game and was going to watch it to see if my opinion of some of the things in the game were correct. It's hard to see at the ground. But judging by the comments on Channel 9's coverage I wont bother.

They need to stop building up SBW and Easts and just let them play some games.

You need to earn that sort attention. We've done nothing of the sort. Big heads are hard to carry arround.

Valheru

Coach
They need to stop building up SBW and Easts and just let them play some games.
You need to earn that sort attention. We've done nothing of the sort. Big heads are hard to carry arround.

And herein lies one possible positive, the attention on us was ridiculous and we should never have been described as premiership contenders. Hopefully the hype gets put to bed and they can be left alone to develop and improve.

As for the penalties all were justified except for that ?strip?, the souths bloke clearly knocked on. Regardless, we need to defend bad decisions. I have a feeling Mini will spend a lot of time talking to refs, we just don?t seem to get penalties for the same things we give away penalties for but again we need to move past that and just play the game.

Noa

First Grade
Good start to the season, Bunnies just too strong up front.

GI will have one of the great seasons, sit back and enjoy.

Not suprised by George Burgess game, Ive always felt he will be a great prop, was impressed with his footwork and agility in his try

Haffa

I was impressed with some of the work from Guerra, think the chooks will click eventually if they can get all these guys to gel.

jargan83

Coach
I saw several other comments regarding the vision of the game and watching on Gem it was absolute rubbish!

Players were blurry, actually most of the telecast was. Thought it was my but changed the channels and they were fine.

I was wondering if any statement has been offered by Channel 9 regarding it? Won't hold my breath expecting them to say anything about it

Lambretta

First Grade
As for the penalties all were justified except for that ?strip?, the souths bloke clearly knocked on. Regardless, we need to defend bad decisions. I have a feeling Mini will spend a lot of time talking to refs, we just don?t seem to get penalties for the same things we give away penalties for but again we need to move past that and just play the game.

I agree with your comment about getting on with it - we do seem to worry about this stuff too much. But is it too much to ask that the referees use the same rules for both teams, rather than just pulling up one team repeatedly?

Others have mentioned the number of times that Issac Luke played the ball forward from dummy half, yet he never got pulled up for it. Why is that?

I bet against any other club, he gets pulled up for it. This is what really riles me. You see players penalised for things against most teams and yet against us they seem to get a weeks grace. It's been happening for some time and it does grate.

BranVan3000

Coach
I agree with your comment about getting on with it - we do seem to worry about this stuff too much. But is it too much to ask that the referees use the same rules for both teams, rather than just pulling up one team repeatedly?

Others have mentioned the number of times that Issac Luke played the ball forward from dummy half, yet he never got pulled up for it. Why is that?

I bet against any other club, he gets pulled up for it. This is what really riles me. You see players penalised for things against most teams and yet against us they seem to get a weeks grace. It's been happening for some time and it does grate.

Oh the bitter tears

Lambretta

First Grade
Oh the bitter tears

Not really mate - I believe the better team won the game - plain and simple

I just wished we'd lost on a level playing field, rather than one that was stacked against us beyond the differences in ability or class.

All any supporter can ask is that teams are refereed to the same standards. Unfortunately, some teams appear to be judged to a different set of standards as others.

BranVan3000

Coach
Not really mate - I believe the better team won the game - plain and simple

I just wished we'd lost on a level playing field, rather than one that was stacked against us beyond the differences in ability or class.

All any supporter can ask is that teams are refereed to the same standards. Unfortunately, some teams appear to be judged to a different set of standards as others.

Avoiding penalties is part of coaching and discipline. We used to lose the penalty count all the time until we got Maguire. Now we rarely lose it. Blame the refs all you like, truth is that your players are just ill disciplined.

And herein lies one possible positive, the attention on us was ridiculous and we should never have been described as premiership contenders. Hopefully the hype gets put to bed and they can be left alone to develop and improve.

As for the penalties all were justified except for that “strip”, the souths bloke clearly knocked on. Regardless, we need to defend bad decisions. I have a feeling Mini will spend a lot of time talking to refs, we just don’t seem to get penalties for the same things we give away penalties for but again we need to move past that and just play the game.

That's always been my issue. I wonder if refs turn up with a mindset and blow the whistle accordingly. We wouldn't be the first if they do. It's up to the boys to change their reputation and get on their good side.