What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 WC | Semi Final | New Zealand 20-18 England | Wembley

Semi Final: NZ v ENG

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roughyedspud

Coach
im on my way home from london now....gonna try a watch the game when i get home....think i'll watch 79mins of it...:(

WireMan

Bench
You do realise that the line in the meme is a direct quote from Empire Strikes Back yeah? Therefore that is exactly "the way Yoda would say it"

Fail twice you did, smelly Pom

Yeah of course.

Didn't like the scene and it never sounded like something Yoda would say.
Fail... That is why you will. More Yodaish.

As the film was filmed at the Pinewood studios in England, it is a bad choice of film as it just highlights how much better we are. :D

At least quote by Alfie in Home and Away or something...

I'm a Kiwi, but I can recognise the self delusion of the stuck up Pom. If the Pom had his head stuck up his own arse any further he'd vanish into the aether, and a back hole singularity would be created in the space time continuum. The Pom lives in the past. Once they were a great nation. Shakespeare, Newton, Darwin, the beatles...etc but that was then. What have they got now? Absolutely nothing. Their culture sucks. Pom pop music, I think they call it Brit pop, sucks big time. Their tv shows suck. Their last decent comedy show was blackadder. The Pom hasn't done anything decent in two decades. A nation in terminal decline ...

erm, you re not very good at this are you?

Anyways, onto the rugby....

WireMan

Bench
On the game..

It was a great game, ruined somewhat by the last min, but ho hum.

Thought the team ran out of steam at the end, which led to the lazy pen. Why we had Burrows on the bench to play for 12 mins and Abblet who was a waste of a space I don't know.

If the plan was for Widdop to play in this game I would of liked to see more of him in an England shirt over the last few weeks and years.
Mcbanana could of mentioned something to Chase also, except man management, planning ahead and picking a balanced squad is clearly not his thing.

We have a lot to build on, a pack that is going to get better, some great halves coming through and dangerous backs.

On them, I was a bit disappointed with Watkins. I thought his defence would be a problem, but it wasn't. But then when we went through the NZ left he had a few opps to make something happen and his usual strength of making and scoring tries deserted him.

Hopefully he will use this experience so next time he can play to his full potential.
Cudjoe was as solid an unspectacular as he has been every time I have seen him play.

Wingers all good.

Tomkins may end up in the halves but we have plenty of good fullbacks in the Super League so not worried about that going forward. Probably wasted a bit at fullback at this level as top level defences scramble a bit quicker and the usual holes he can run through at club level are not there as much. If he started closer to the line then he can have a greater impact.

Forwards are all good, and some other good'uns coming through.

All IMO of course.

RHCP

Bench
I think New Zealand are better off for their experience against England than they would be if they breezed past Fiji.

Cudjoe is definitely a weak link in the English team. Didn't see him do anything of note.

roughyedspud

Coach
If they produce the same performance they produced against you we will. But if they play like that have been all tournament, they could quite easily win.

just read a few of the comments coming out the kiwis camp....saying it was the hardest game theyve ever played....

i can't see them backing it up tbh

Last edited:

Izz

Bench
lol, Ernie's just a troll who only turns up when there's an international tournament on and usually gets a whooping in the process.

Godz Illa

Coach
On the game..

It was a great game, ruined somewhat by the last min, but ho hum.

Thought the team ran out of steam at the end, which led to the lazy pen. Why we had Burrows on the bench to play for 12 mins and Abblet who was a waste of a space I don't know.

If the plan was for Widdop to play in this game I would of liked to see more of him in an England shirt over the last few weeks and years.
Mcbanana could of mentioned something to Chase also, except man management, planning ahead and picking a balanced squad is clearly not his thing.

We have a lot to build on, a pack that is going to get better, some great halves coming through and dangerous backs.

On them, I was a bit disappointed with Watkins. I thought his defence would be a problem, but it wasn't. But then when we went through the NZ left he had a few opps to make something happen and his usual strength of making and scoring tries deserted him.

Hopefully he will use this experience so next time he can play to his full potential.
Cudjoe was as solid an unspectacular as he has been every time I have seen him play.

Wingers all good.

Tomkins may end up in the halves but we have plenty of good fullbacks in the Super League so not worried about that going forward. Probably wasted a bit at fullback at this level as top level defences scramble a bit quicker and the usual holes he can run through at club level are not there as much. If he started closer to the line then he can have a greater impact.

Forwards are all good, and some other good'uns coming through.

All IMO of course.
One thing that stood out to me about your wingers was their refusal/reluctance to help the forwards by getting into dummy-half to bring the ball out of trouble. Not sure if it's a coaching thing or not, but if they'd made more of a contribution in that area it may have been the difference.
Compare the yardage stats of the Kiwi wingers to the English:

Tuivasa-Scheck 161m
Nightingale 96m

Charnley 94m
Hall 59m

WireMan

Bench
One thing that stood out to me about your wingers was their refusal/reluctance to help the forwards by getting into dummy-half to bring the ball out of trouble. Not sure if it's a coaching thing or not, but if they'd made more of a contribution in that area it may have been the difference.
Compare the yardage stats of the Kiwi wingers to the English:

Tuivasa-Scheck 161m
Nightingale 96m

Charnley 94m
Hall 59m

Yeah, that was a bit of surprise. Hall especially does a lot of graft in the league.

I think Mcbanana set us up to play a dominant forwards game. Which worked to a degree as Roughy has already alluded to, the Kiwis have said it was a very hard game.

However if you are going to do that, why put Burrows on the bench and hardly use him, and put Abblet on the bench and not use him at all?

It boils down to not picking Crabtree in front of either Mossop or T Burgess. Him coming of the bench to improve forward rotation would of given us the edge to really smash the Kiwi pack and would of been enough to win.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Yeah, that was a bit of surprise. Hall especially does a lot of graft in the league.

I think Mcbanana set us up to play a dominant forwards game. Which worked to a degree as Roughy has already alluded to, the Kiwis have said it was a very hard game.

However if you are going to do that, why put Burrows on the bench and hardly use him, and put Abblet on the bench and not use him at all?

It boils down to not picking Crabtree in front of either Mossop or T Burgess. Him coming of the bench to improve forward rotation would of given us the edge to really smash the Kiwi pack and would of been enough to win.

Who are 'burrows' and 'abblet'? Would have thought you'd get their name right after seeing them in so many grand finals wireman ;-)

Selecting Ablett was a good decision. Not playing him was madness

WireMan

Bench
Who are 'burrows' and 'abblet'? Would have thought you'd get their name right after seeing them in so many grand finals wireman ;-)

Selecting Ablett was a good decision. Not playing him was madness

They play for Leeds, soooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry I got their names wrong. :roll:

I do remember a guy with a name like Ablett get punched by a half back, didn't have it in him to even pretend he was tough enough to do anything back, then spent the rest of the game running away from the other team in the playoffs last season.
Probably why Mcbanana felt it was better to leave him off the pitch, the princess may have broken a nail... ;-)

Selecting Ablett was a terrible decision by the coach. Picking him in the squad was fine as cover for centre if you want to find a point for him being there, but to pick him for a big game with a game plan that consisted of using the forwards to overpower the opposition, then not even bothering to rotate your forwards to the max is just stupid.

If he isn't good enough to get on the pitch for even a few mins at the end when the big guys were knackered then he isn't good enough to be their.
If the coach had of realised this the same he realised Chase was not good enough it would have been alright. Shame he only realised after he had named his team. I just hope he remembers this for his next team.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
They play for Leeds, soooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry I got their names wrong. :roll:

I do remember a guy with a name like Ablett get punched by a half back, didn't have it in him to even pretend he was tough enough to do anything back, then spent the rest of the game running away from the other team in the playoffs last season.
Probably why Mcbanana felt it was better to leave him off the pitch, the princess may have broken a nail... ;-)

Selecting Ablett was a terrible decision by the coach. Picking him in the squad was fine as cover for centre if you want to find a point for him being there, but to pick him for a big game with a game plan that consisted of using the forwards to overpower the opposition, then not even bothering to rotate your forwards to the max is just stupid.

If he isn't good enough to get on the pitch for even a few mins at the end when the big guys were knackered then he isn't good enough to be their.
If the coach had of realised this the same he realised Chase was not good enough it would have been alright. Shame he only realised after he had named his team. I just hope he remembers this for his next team.

I don't recall Ablett being punched by any half back of note. Not one that's won anything anyway. If he didn't punch back, maybe it was because he didn't want to scuff one of his 5 superleague winners rings? :D

Wireman. Always good value :lol:

Latest posts