What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 | WCC | Sat 23 Feb 7am AEDT | Rhinos 14-18 Storm | Headingley

World Club Champions - Leeds or Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
nrl2013-wcc.jpg

Leeds: 3. Kallum Watkins 4. Joel Moon 5. Ryan Hall 6. Danny McGuire 7. Rob Burrow 8. Kylie Leuluai 9. Paul McShane 10. Jamie Peacock 11. Jamie Jones-Buchanan 12. Carl Ablett 13. Kevin Sinfield (c) 14. Stevie Ward 15. Brett Delaney 17. Ian Kirke 18. Chris Clarkson 19. Mitch Achurch 21. Richard Moore 22. Jimmy Keinhorst 25. Joe Vickery

Storm: 1. Billy Slater 2. Sisa Waqa 3. Justin O'Neill 4. Will Chambers 5. Mahe Fonua 6. Gareth Widdop 7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith (c) 10. Bryan Norrie 11. Tohu Harris 12. Ryan Hoffman 13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

Interchange (two to be omitted): 14. Jason Ryles 15. Brett Finch 16. Siosaia Vave 17. Junior Moors
18. Kenny Bromwich 19. Lagi Setu

Referee
Ben Thaler
Touch Judges: George Stokes & James Child
Video Referee: Phil Bentham​

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The Rhinos should get up at home. I doubt Bellamy has ever particularly cared about the WCC and wouldn't want to risk his players this close to round 1.

@MarTiger

Juniors
The Rhinos should get up at home. I doubt Bellamy has ever particularly cared about the WCC and wouldn't want to risk his players this close to round 1.

Craig Bellamy takes a trial seriously let alone a game that can win his club a trophy. The big three are playing as are the majority of the Storm squad so you can leave the "half hearted effort" by Melbourne out of the equation. Any suggestion that they weren't taking this seriously would piss off Bellamy and I am sure the majority of the Storm fans.

I take Leeds at home. Too many advantages to the Super League Champions for Melbourne to overcome.

Harrigan

Juniors
Bellamy has sent the strongest squad of 21 over possible and they seem to be talking it up. They also flew over 7 days ago and the game isnt for another 5 yet. I can't remember an Aussie team giving themselves 2 weeks prep before.

As for the Rhinos, there are quite a few issues injury wise going into the game.

Confirmed out: Ryan Bailey (knee), Ben Jones-Bishop (tumor)
Unlikely to play: Joe Vickery (arm), Zak Hardaker (thumb)
Possibles: Jamie Peacock, Brett Delaney.

Leeds will probably line up like this:

Watkins
Keinhorst
Ablett
Moon
Hall
Sinfield
McGuire
Peacock
Burrow
Leuluai
Jones-Buchanan
Delaney
Clarkson/Ward

McShane
Kirke
Achurch
Clarkson/Ward

Hopefully Vickery recovers though as we are having to reshuffle all over the place and play our best centre at full back and our best back rower at centre. Keinhorst on the wing isn't good either. He is the 4th choice winger in the squad and has looked out of his depth the last 2 games.

Last edited:

Harrigan

Juniors
Also just under 21,000 tickets had been sold prior to the weekend so this should be a 21,500 sell out come Friday.

@MarTiger

Juniors
Bellamy has sent the strongest squad of 21 over possible and they seem to be talking it up. They also flew over 7 days ago and the game isnt for another 5 yet. I can't remember an Aussie team giving themselves 2 weeks prep before.

As for the Rhinos, there are quite a few issues injury wise going into the game.

Confirmed out: Ryan Bailey (knee), Ben Jones-Bishop (tumor)
Unlikely to play: Joe Vickery (arm), Zak Hardaker (thumb)
Possibles: Jamie Peacock, Brett Delaney.

Leeds will probably line up like this:

Watkins
Keinhorst
Ablett
Moon
Hall
Sinfield
McGuire
Peacock
Burrow
Leuluai
Jones-Buchanan
Delaney
Clarkson/Ward

McShane
Kirke
Achurch
Clarkson/Ward

Hopefully Vickery recovers though as we are having to reshuffle all over the place and play our best centre at full back and our best back rower at centre. Keinhorst on the wing isn't good either. He is the 4th choice winger in the squad and has looked out of his depth the last 2 games.

Great post. Thanks for the info on Leeds too pal.

Harrigan

Juniors
The game sold out today. Ill be surprised if the Melbourne players have heard anything like what they will hear Friday when they walk out just before kick off.

Also, Zak Hardaker is ruled out of the game with his thumb injury. Watkins will be fullback. I'm just hoping Vickery makes it because the Storm will have a field day down our right otherwise.

Harrigan

Juniors
A full house! Nice. Looking forward to this contest.

Yeah, although the attendance will be about 500 down on last seasons WCC due to a reduced capacity this year. Not like it matters anyway in general. Leeds havent had a domestic 20,000 crowd in 4 years.

Apparently Vickery has miraculously recovered too. Makes me a bit more confident since we wont be seeing Keinhorst out there.

@MarTiger

Juniors
Yeah, although the attendance will be about 500 down on last seasons WCC due to a reduced capacity this year. Not like it matters anyway in general. Leeds havent had a domestic 20,000 crowd in 4 years.

Apparently Vickery has miraculously recovered too. Makes me a bit more confident since we wont be seeing Keinhorst out there.

Cheers for the info Harrigan. Again - much appreciated pal.

The atmosphere will be electric. I'm bummed I haven't been to a WCC game yet though it's on the TO DO LIST. With any luck Leeds don't go all Cronulla on me over the next few seasons.

IanG

Coach
Been hearing talk of it should be played 2 weeks after the grand final. But we have the international tournaments at that time. Have set up the PVR in case my alarm clock doesn't go off

beave

Coach
looking through my tv guide, I can't see it anywhere live on saturday morning??????

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
looking through my tv guide, I can't see it anywhere live on saturday morning??????

As it says on the top of the graphic in post #1 - live on GEM Channel (90 in cities, 80 in regional centres)

Harrigan

Juniors
Match officials:

Ref: B Thaler
Vid Ref: P Bentham
Touch J: G Stokes
Touch J: J Child
Reserve: R Silverwood
Time K: I McGregor
M Com: P Crashley

Harrigan

Juniors
I was down at the Shay Stadium tonight with about 1,000 other people to watch Melbourne hold an open training session. Here's a couple of vids. Click on the still to take you to the vid on my photobucket account. 1st with ball in hand:

and in defence:

Here's a few pics too,

A35D1D89-9C6F-4DC7-87A8-B66508A73634-3555-0000032FDAA696C7_zpsb33be159.jpg

53BA2E0A-95E9-4D29-95B1-41324AD799E3-3555-000003302B5824F7_zps03799ffa.jpg

0A66816F-1166-4474-976B-3F5241C327EF-3555-00000330161B4552_zps60436381.jpg

Last edited:

@MarTiger

Juniors
I am not going to watch this on GEM - I'd much prefer to watch the replay on FoxSports. I will go to for a swim or gym session and come back to 9am goodness featuring the Rhinos vs Storm. Suffice to say I won't be on twitter on LU.

Harrigan

Juniors
All I can say is, thank f*** i'm huddled up with 8,000 other people in the Southstand tomorrow night. It has been the coldest I have felt it in ages today and it's only supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow. Bet the Storm players are thinking "WTF are we doing here!!!!" :lol:

WCCWeather_zps08d4b345.jpg