What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[16th team] Rugby Union on the Central Coast

JK

Many of you probably don't read the Rugby Union news but here is a snippet from the Tele today

McKay [Exec Director of NSW Rugby] believes the fourth team should be based at either Newcastle or the Central Coast. "Why don't we build the game at our strongest point? McKay said.

A few questions if anyone can speculate/answer
- if they are talking about this now how long would it take to get the plan together, get it approved and start the team?
- how much sway does McKay have in the strategic direction of the Super 12? I would assume not a lot but surely influence is there?
- does this mean that the NRL should accelerate plans for a cc team?

If we are talking years for this project then we can proceed on a 2005 GC, 2006/7 CC (with a plus 1, or minus 1 somewhere else) plan.

It does point out how important it is for League to get into the heartlands and stop being so conservative!

Dogs Of War

Coach
Let's think big on expansion of our game
By Phil Gould
February 29, 2004
The Sun-Herald

The NRL has finally put expansion back on the agenda. You beauty! A press release from the NRL this week has created a lot of excitement and encouragement for a lot of people.

The good news read this way: "The NRL Partnership will discuss the possibility of expanding the competition to 16 teams at its next meeting.

"NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said the move followed continued enthusiasm from both the Central Coast and the Gold Coast for entry into the Telstra Premiership. 'We have received impressive submissions from the Gold Coast and the Central Coast as well as Wellington in New Zealand over the last 12 months,' Mr Gallop said."

How good is that? We are going to the Gold Coast, Central Coast and Wellington. Yahoo! What's that you say? Only one of them? You're kidding? No, no, no, we need them all. You mean we can only have one?

Well, which one do we choose? Or is there some way around all this?

Last December, I wrote a column telling you all about the outstanding presentation by the Gold Coast organisation bidding for a start in the NRL competition. Their junior base is unparalleled. Their resources are remarkable. The support from local government, junior leagues, schools, sponsors and the business community has been nothing short of staggering.

The Gold Coast is the fastest growing area in Australia. It is thriving, vibrant and desperate for a team.

Earlier this month I attended a seminar conducted by the South Queensland Rugby League. I loved their commitment and their obvious excitement at the prospect of having a senior professional team to which the younger generation could aspire.

Junior league registrations for the new season have risen significantly just on the talk a local NRL team may be a possibility.

On Friday, the Gold Coast bid team met the local council to discuss support and preparations for a successful bid, and it received a unanimous vote of confidence - along with a $6 million grant to kick-start the renovation of Carrara Stadium.

Just last weekend the Gold Coast hosted a trial game between the Eels and the Warriors, and despite 40-degree temperatures the match attracted a crowd of more than 14,500 with more than 140 corporate boxes and facilities sold out and fully attended. Last night they hosted the Dragons and the Bulldogs and, despite the bad news during the week surrounding the latter, ticket sales were even better.

I also think another team in the south Queensland area is vital for the future of one of our game's greatest showpieces. I am, of course, talking about State of Origin. The opportunity for more Queensland-born kids to be exposed to development at the professional level can only be good for the future of Queensland rugby league. We can't just keep relying on the Broncos.

Now, you would think the competition between the Gold Coast and the Central Coast would have to get fierce, seeing that it appears only one of these areas will get the nod. That is not necessarily the case.

Paul Broughton, the heart and soul of the Gold Coast bid and the man who has made it all happen, is actually a fan of the Central Coast getting a licence as well.

"It would complete my dream of seeing a senior, professional rugby league team in every major centre along the eastern seaboard of Australia," says Broughton.

I agree with him. Why not both?

The Central Coast, backed by the financial and entrepreneurial might of John Singleton, surely cannot be denied, either. From all reports, this presentation has also been top class and it seems a shame that one of these two areas could miss out.

I felt sorry for the North Sydney Bears when they went broke trying to get the Central Coast started, and I feel for the people of the Central Coast who have been let down when it seemed fulfilment of their dreams was so close at hand. I guess the NRL has some moral obligation to eventually put a team at Gosford and now is as good a time as any, seeing as how Singo is hot to trot.

The Central Coast already has a great stadium, a huge junior league base, corporate support and a captive audience. If the NRL (or should I say the ARL and News Limited) is serious about the future of rugby league, then I don't think it can seriously deny these two coastal centres a start.

Wellington? Well, gee, I like that idea, too. The Warriors have shown what is possible once they got some smart financial backing, professional management and dedicated coaching staff.

I mean, New Zealand is a whole country, so you would think it was inevitable that rugby league eventually expanded its boundaries in that neck of the woods.

So, who should it be? Well, I think we should give serious consideration to all three. Let's think outside the square for a change. Let's try to make it happen.

There has to be a way.

Even Phil Gould reconises the need for the NRL to chance their hand and not knock back anyone who wants to invest in Rugby League. As long as all presentations are adequate then admit them all. It'll mean that some clubs will lose the depth they currently enjoy as these new clubs throw money at them, but it has to be done soon to give these clubs a chance to prosper, and also think about the money that will come into the game with more markets with an interest, the TV contract renewal will be more interesting.

sydraider

First Grade
Im all for the introduction of both teams, i feel they can be accomodated player wise and financially, the nrl must chance their hand on this.

nqboy

First Grade
Yeah, but how does the NRL pay for all three. Require them to fund themselves for 5 years maybe, i.e. no NRL grant?

sydraider

First Grade
Im only throwing my weight behind 2 new teams atm. The wellington bid should come a little bit later IMO.

nqboy

First Grade
Okay, two then. Make them pay their way without an NRL grant for, say, 5 years?

gaterooze

Bench
[quote="JK"A few questions if anyone can speculate/answer
- if they are talking about this now how long would it take to get the plan together, get it approved and start the team?
- how much sway does McKay have in the strategic direction of the Super 12? I would assume not a lot but surely influence is there?
- does this mean that the NRL should accelerate plans for a cc team?[/quote]

NSWRU have zero sway on S12. Everything is up to SANZAR, which is dominated by New Zealand. And they've already said they would prefer a team from the Pacific or Argentina or Japan, before a 4th Aussie team.

Nothing will be decided until SANZAR renogiate their TV rights with Murdoch for next year and beyond, and that is looking pretty shaky at the moment.

In a nutshell, it's irrelevant to the NRL.

gaterooze

Bench
btw, as for talent for new NRL teams -- why not raid some of the Warrior's junior stocks? They're churning out monsters like nobobdy's business.

A Gold Coast team would sort itself out, plenty of talent running around up that way.

Lets not forget that Singo is going to fund the CC Bears himself for the first 3 or 5 years, thus the NRL will not have to cough up a cent for the Bears.

JK

As singo himself said 'lets hope they give us a team while I am still interested'

New Jack

Juniors
With the amount of players CC, pENRITH, Newcastle, NZ and queensland churn out, plus all the players who go to the UK each year, I'm sure they can manage to put a decent team together

dimitri

First Grade
we could manage many more decent teams

we had 22 teams in 1997 and most were of a high standard

ash the bash

Juniors
Are they kidding,
1) they have no FTA teli how do they expect to finance the thing,
2) CC people are league people, my aunt lives there and from my visits people could not give a s%^t about union
3) With sponsors like vodaphone jumping off the bandwagon do you think other sponsors would want any involvement in this likley failure :roll:

iggy plop

First Grade
JK said:
Many of you probably don't read the Rugby Union news but here is a snippet from the Tele today

McKay [Exec Director of NSW Rugby] believes the fourth team should be based at either Newcastle or the Central Coast. "Why don't we build the game at our strongest point? McKay said.

A few questions if anyone can speculate/answer
- does this mean that the NRL should accelerate plans for a cc team?

If we are talking years for this project then we can proceed on a 2005 GC, 2006/7 CC (with a plus 1, or minus 1 somewhere else) plan.

It does point out how important it is for League to get into the heartlands and stop being so conservative!

Why don't we just have a team in every NSW town then. There are heartlands everywhere throughout NSW, but that doesn't mean we need a team in all of them.

Another Queensland team is of paramount importance. Relocation, is the CC's only hope in my eyes.

Bring on the Gold Coast!!

The Observer

Staff member
dimitri said:
we could manage many more decent teams

we had 22 teams in 1997 and most were of a high standard

Completely disagree. There was a 60 point thrashing every weekend and a big difference between successful teams and strugglers. Some of those players and teams were truly average, and there was a large spread of points standings after the end of the regular season, unlike now where there is a small distribution.

About the topic, McKay may not even be reappointed to the NSWRU board. Noone else in RU has seriously suggested Newcastle (lol) or the CC. Perth, Melbourne and Parra are at the top of the list as new S12 hosts.

JK

Iggu - I am a firm advocate of GC over CC but why not both?

Whoever is ready first in 2005, the other in 2006.

We need a good news story.

Simo

First Grade
JK said:
Iggu - I am a firm advocate of GC over CC but why not both?

Whoever is ready first in 2005, the other in 2006.

We need a good news story.

JK i agree 100% with you. Why not both?

Whoever said take a chance with this one is on the money.

Both have great financial backing and a great junior player base where they could get most of there players from.

Bring both of them in i say.

Tell one they can play in 2006, and the other a year or 2 after so they have plenty of time to develop all the infrastructure needed to be successful.

russ13

First Grade
The dozen or so Junior RL clubs on the Gold Coast signed up an extra 1000 juniors just recently. These 1000 juniors have never played the game before. Just shows what can happen when JRL clubs get serious.

Btw how can union be serious about the CC region. A couple of years ago the Gordon RU club relocated there. They got an initial crowd of 5000 but in less than 12 weeks the crowd numbers had dwindled to a couple of hundred. Gordon had to return to Sydney avoid bankruptcy.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
We need a lower division that includes WA/SA/Vic sides
One with Central Coast/and some current NRL teams
Have some more Qld sides.

Teams in NRL (needed)

Nth Qld
2 South Qld sides (lowest ranked each year plays the Qld Cup winner to decide relegation)
1 NZ team
Canberra
5 NSW sides (lowest ranked plays winner of a newly created NSW Cup to decide relegation)
1 Southern State (plays winner of Interstate league)
1 Wild card (Cup played between winner of Vicorian, SA, WA, NZ comps with relegated sides from other regions - winner of cup played at, end of season, is in the NRL)

NSW Cup would include:
North Sydney
Central Coast
Newtown
Other regional sides
with relegated current NRL sides.

Going on last year it would include:
Souths
Tigers
Manly
Cronulla

So going on that the NRL would be:

Melbourne
NZ Warriors
Brisbane
GC team
Nth Qld
Canberra
Penrith
Sydney
Newcastle
Parramatta
St George-Ill
Wild Card Cup winner

Next year could look like:

Perth
NZ Warriors
Another Qld Cup side
GC team
Nth Qld
Canberra
Penrith
Sydney
Newcastle
Parramatta
North Sydney
Central Coast

This way teams that don't achieve still can compete but not in the top flight.