What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$1million Chinese bid for Joel Griffiths

Frederick

Staff member
$1million Chinese bid for Joel Griffiths
BY MICHAEL COCKERILL
21/01/2009 4:00:00 AM

Newcastle Jets owner Con Constantine is considering selling star player Joel Griffiths to China for an A-League record transfer fee of $1 million and the club could line up homeward-bound Socceroos striker Mile Sterjovski as his replacement.

Constantine confirmed late yesterday that Beijing Guoan had tabled the record seven-figure offer for Griffiths on Monday night after he had rejected an earlier bid believed to have been around $750,000, and he was now weighing up the situation.

Griffiths, 29, signed a new $900,000 deal to keep him at the Jets until 2012 four months ago but is known to have become increasingly anxious about the rapid disintegration of the title-winning squad. Griffiths is believed to be keen to join younger brother Ryan at Beijing Guoan and, unless he recovers from a hamstring strain in time for this Sunday's final match of the season in Sydney, he may already have played his last game for the club.

Disgruntled Jets fans already coming to terms with the team's spectacular fall from champions to wooden-spooners are certain to be devastated by the likelihood of losing their talisman on the eve of the Asian Champions League campaign.

Ironically, the Jets' first game in the ACL is away to Beijing Guoan on March 10.

Newcastle have developed a reputation as a selling club since Nicky Carle left for Turkey two years ago skipper Jade North [Incheon United, South Korea] and midfielder James Holland [AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands] are the most recent departures but while Constantine makes no apologies for his strategy he admits the decision whether or not to release Griffiths is the hardest he has faced.

"Yes, there is an offer on the table, and, yes, it is definitely a record offer," he said.

"From a business point of view, it's always nice when clubs around the world want your players, and as I've always said, we don't stand in the way if a player wants to go, and the price is right.

"But Joel is a bit different from the rest. We've just agreed to make him our marquee player for the next three years, we've made him our captain, and we're working towards building our team around him.

"Basically, Joel is our diamond. We need him for the Champions League, so I've got to put a lot of thought into this. They [Beijing] want him now, and it's something that has to be decided pretty soon.

"But I've got to be careful, it's such a big decision. Right now, my mind's not made up."

Clouding the issue is the ACL draw, and Constantine admits the possibility of Griffiths playing against the Jets so soon after his departure is giving him "nightmares".

"It will be bad enough having one Griffiths [Ryan] playing against you, let alone two," he said.

"I would prefer that if a deal is done, it doesn't happen until after the group stage [of the ACL]. I don't want him to come back and give us nightmares. But that has to be worked out I'm sure the Chinese team want to do well in the competition, and that's why they want Joel in the first place."

Meanwhile, Constantine declined to identify who the club was looking to bring into the squad in time for the deadline to register players for the ACL [February 11], but it's believed Sterjovski currently on the books of English championship side Derby County has emerged as a strong candidate to replace Griffiths as the club's marquee player should his move to Beijing materialise.

Sterjovski, who has struggled for game time at Derby, is considering coming home from Europe for family reasons and has also been linked to Central Coast Mariners and Perth Glory.

"I don't want to name names, because we always seem to get into trouble when that happens, but there will be some good news very soon, believe me," Constantine said.
LINK

Griffiths is overrated anyway

Jobdog

Live Update Team
:lol: It just keeps getting better. Well done Con - the team sucks balls this year and the fans stay away in droves. Methinks he likes seeing crowds of 6500 because if Griffiths goes, that will be the top crowd for many years to come. Con's killing this club.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Griffiths is one of the best players in the league IMO.

They would be mad to sell him unless they had a ready made replacement.

Knightmare

Coach
Con can make me an offer if he wants- I've played a bit in my time. I could probably stomach having to play for that mob, provided the money is decent enough. :lol:

fish eel

Immortal

Even for a million?

If that amount is true, and they have Sterjovski lined up, they'd be made not to take the money.

Sterjovski is much better than Griffiths.

CC_Eagle

First Grade

Considering Djite, Carle and Jedinak all went for under a million, is Gwiffifs really worth it?

Con will use the money to bring Pele out of retirement for sure. Or continue his tradition of signing TV hosts, offer Simon Hill and Andy Harper $200K a season.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I doubt they will sign a player as good as/better than Griffiths. Out of the local based players in the HAL, he's probably the best IMO. Plus Newcastle have a very questionable recruitment history, especially with the foreigners that they've brought in.

Thing is, he's their marquee player and has a huge following in Newcastle. Who are they going to buy to replace him? And they won't spend the full million dollars either, if they did sell him. They'd want to keep some profit.

Anyway, I'd only sell him if they could find a replacement player who is just as good if not better for a similar price. Considering they've already let go of the likes of Carle, Bridge, Musialik, Holland, North, Rodriguez etc. etc. and replaced them with players of lesser ability/quality, I'd say the chances of them signing a worthy replacement is quite low.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Hopefully we don't sell him but Con will cause he's a f**king dumb sh*t.

If we sell Griffo, our crowds will be below 3k and Bejing will smash us in the ACL (if they arent going to either).

Jono078

Referee
I hear they want Musalik back and that he wants to come back too, so I reckon about a quarter of the mill may go Musalik's way

Tommy Smith

Referee
Griffiths not for sale, say Jets

By Guy Hand
January 21, 2009 STRIFE-torn Newcastle Jets have declared star player Joel Griffiths is not for sale and will remain with the A-League club for their upcoming Asian Champions League campaign.
Griffiths was the subject of a reported $1 million offer from Chinese club Beijing Guoan - the Jets' first opponents in the ACL group stage.

But Jets chief executive officer John Tsatsimas said on Wednesday the club had rejected the offer for Griffiths out of hand, saying they wanted him to remain in Newcastle.

"He's a Newcastle Jets contracted player. We want him here. He's our talisman, he's our captain, he's our marquee player," Tsatsimas said.

"Our chairman's indicated he's trying to form a team with Joel as its apex.

"He'll be here for the Asian Champions League."

Jets chairman Con Constantine admitted on Tuesday an offer had been made for Griffiths, and that he was wrestling with whether to sell him.

If the Jets agreed, it would allow Griffiths to join his brother Ryan who already plays for the Chinese club.

But Griffiths had only recently signed a big-money contract to stay with the Jets as their marquee player until 2012.

Despite their reputation for selling players, with star turns Nick Carle, Jade North and James Holland all sold overseas by the Jets, the club resisted the temptation to do the same with the 29-year-old striker who starred in their championship season.

While the Jets would not say so publicly, there were also concerns about the timing of Beijing Guoan's offer so close to their ACL clash on March 10.

Larger European clubs have an oft-used ploy of expressing interest in a player from a rival team just prior to playing them, with an eye partially on unsettling their opponents.

But Tsatsimas played a straight bat to any suggestion their opponents were playing mind games, though he admitted selling someone of Griffiths' calibre so close to the start of the ACL would be unsettling for the club.

"We do have concerns about these kinds of interest in our players ... we'd have to find a replacement for a player we sold before the Asian Champions League, and it doesn't give us very much time," he said.

The Jets have hardly had the ideal preparation for the ACL anyway, going from 2007-08 champions to wooden spooners this season and struggling for form and consistency.

Constantine has also been embroiled in controversy this week over an alleged run-in with Jets supporters at last weekend's home match against Perth.

Football Federation Australia is investigating those claims.
AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24943736-5000940,00.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
clever move

he'll get more exposure in the ACL and then they'll get more money for him

fish eel

Immortal
clever move

he'll get more exposure in the ACL and then they'll get more money for him

I doubt they'll get an offer more than $1 million for him tbh.

That makes him what, 100 times less the player Kaka is? :lol: