What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st 3-Mobile Test @ The Gabba :: Nov 20-24 :: Australia won by 149 runs

First 3-Mobile Test result :: Australia vs New Zealand

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Disappointed that Hilfy didn't get a look in, nor Noffke. Must admit I'm glad to see Roy back in the side. Regardless of his recent poor form, he's one of those gamebreakers required to strengthen this Aussie side.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Also, if Pup is fit to play, it will be very interesting to see who the two are that miss out.

Bazal

Post Whore
Roy doesn't deserve it...he's been horrible. Siddle doesn't deserve to be there over Noffke and Hilfenhaus either. But it's still good enough to beat NZ on paper, unfortunately on form and with our skipper we come a fair way back to their level.

Matt23

Staff member
Roy doesn't deserve it...he's been horrible. Siddle doesn't deserve to be there over Noffke and Hilfenhaus either. But it's still good enough to beat NZ on paper, unfortunately on form and with our skipper we come a fair way back to their level.
That's kinda why I tipped a draw :(

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We will win both test matches easily, and then Ponting will come out and say "why was everyone bagging me" "Look at what a great skipper i am :roll:"

Blaze

Juniors
My two great sporting hopes are to see NZ beat Australia in a cricket Test match (last happened in 1993) and for the Warriors to win a premiership.

Which will happen first?

Obviously NZ won't win a Test in this series due to our woeful batting, but our bowling stocks are looking pretty promising for the future.

We desperately need How to develop into a top class opener (even though he looks like a natural number 3 to me), and for Ryder and Taylor to hold down positions 3 and 4 for the next 10 years.

I think other than those 3 the cupboard is pretty bare. McCullum should move back to 7, so that leaves an opening position, and positions 5 and 6 up in the air.

Oram should move back to 6 when fully fit, but we really don't have any openers, and number 5 will probably go to whoever scores the most runs this season at FC level. Long term maybe a guy like Anderson, or Williamson can fill this void.

In summary though, we don't have one established batsman in our line up, and there are no guarentees that any of them will develop into top class Test batsmen.

African Monkey

First Grade
We desperately need How to develop into a top class opener (even though he looks like a natural number 3 to me)
Yeah I feel that his best position is 3 as well that's why I would have liked to see Ryder open the innings but that will never happen.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
I think Symonds once he back in will handle it fine despite his form.

I dont know where he comes into it though:

Hayden , Katich, Ponting, Hussey , Clarke, Watson, Haddin, Lee, Krejza, Johnson, Clark

will be the side im pretty sure. I think Siddles there to make up the numbers. If Michael Clarke misses the first test which i doubt if hes only sick, he may want to be carefull cause if Symonds gets runs when he comes in it might be a bit of a fight for him to get back in. (Unless they just ditch Katich like usual).

he would probably replace watson ... i would have him replace white though ...

hayden
katich
ponting
hussey
clarke
symonds
watson
haddin
lee
johnson
clark

that's from the players available ... genuine batting down to 9 and lee and johnson can stick around

Matt23

Staff member

hayden
katich
ponting
hussey
clarke
symonds
watson
haddin
lee
johnson
clark

that's from the players available ... genuine batting down to 9 and lee and johnson can stick around
^^Agreed

Jobdog

Live Update Team

hayden
katich
ponting
hussey
clarke
symonds
watson
haddin
lee
johnson
clark

I actually don't mind that side and I'd probably go with it. It does mean Krejza, who got 12 wickets on debut misses out though.

caylo

Bench
I would play Krezja, probably be able to extract some good bounce from the wicket. Vetorri definaltly will, and krezja can also rip it, so he might get the odd one to turn and bounce. He will also be harder to score off, the Gabba pitch will remove the option of the sweep shot with the bounce. This means the NZers have to get to the pitch of the ball, and opens up a new mode of dismisal.

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Watson
Haddin
Krezja
Lee
Clark

12th Johnston.

aussies1st

Staff member
Gotta keep the faith in Krejza, he will turn it in Aus as he was easily the biggest turner in India. Only way Roy should be getting in is if Clarke is injured. Other than that there is no spot for him.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I think what you meant to say was "Needs less Siddle and more Hilfenhaus" ...

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
I really think you need to play Krejza. While I dont think hes neccessarily the answer to our spin stocks, I think you have to give the kid a go. You cant get 12 wickets and then just neglect the guy. And while the wicket was turning, It wasnt a minefield or a case of just bowling and getting the wickets, he bowled well.

I disagree with peoples theories you dont need a spinner and Clarke and Symonds can do the job.

If we keep neglecting a spinner we will never really get one and thinking more long term, towards say the Ashes, we definetly cant go over there with a few part timers or a few guys who havent played before. Give Krejza a go for a few more tests, or at least this one, and if he doesnt look the part at all, give someone else a go.

All out pace attacks have no variety. The only test we lost last year was when we went for that whole spin attack at perth too.