What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Australia v Pakistan @ Optus Stadium Perth, Dec 14-18 2023

King-Gutho94

Coach
Sok did a guest speaking appearance with Katich and Matthews around the time Kat was dropped and blaming Clarke. Matthews went on a rant about how Katich should’ve dropped Clarke. Everyone in the room had a good time and laughed along with the story. About a week later Sok distanced himself from the comments. You just have to wonder how much went on behind the scenes there. Sok always put up decent FC numbers yet never got a look in.
It's almost a badge of honour to have a falling out with Pup.

Harder to find players he played with that didn't have a falling out with him.

Whilst it is a great effort for Lyon to have played 123 tests, it needs to be said that in the post-Warne era, there were several spinners during 2007-11 more talented than Lyon that unfortunately didn't get the support of Ponting and the selectors, and subsequently got tossed out like a used rubber the moment they faltered. Had Lyon debuted during 2007-10 during Ponting's captaincy, his international career would've gone the same way as Krezja/Doherty/Hauritz et al.

Lyon got lucky that he burst onto the scene once Ponting was out of the way (in terms of captaincy) and Clarke was captain during Lyon's debut. The way Clarke used Lyon in attacking situations left Ponting for dead. Lyon took the opportunity with both hands and was the spinner that got the extended run in the test XI

I thought Krejza had talent, but he leaked too many runs. Even looking at his FC record, economy of 3.78 - far too high for an offie. Many thought MacGill could be too costly, but in comparison he went for 3.41. Guys like Doherty and Hauritz were plain crap.

To me the biggest thing that has stood Lyon apart from the others we've tried is his accuracy and control. Warne set a really high bar and I don't think we have much appetite for spinners to be loose since then, unless they're a big wicket taker like MacGill.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Michael Hussey gifted Nathan Lyon his successful Test career.

It was tragic then, but damn he made it work. Legend.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well that was a disappointing end, thought we might get to see some more cricket today

TheParraboy

Staff member
off topic (hypothetical) question

If SOK didnt have off field issues, and takes Lyons place in number of tests played

Does he have a better test record?

Fangs

Coach

If SOK didnt have off field issues, and takes Lyons place in number of tests played

A left arm spinner from Australia with 500 wickets and an average under 31 is what we are talking about here. Chances are he doesn't get ahead of Lyon.

I'm trying to think of left-arm spinners with that kind of success. Herath, Vettori, Jadeja, Underwood.

Who is Australia's best ever left-arm spinner?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

he would have gone close I reckon, remember the Boat was shit for about 7 or 8 years but there was no one better at state level and he continued to take 1 or no wickets in test matches for so long,

he actually learned how to bowl whilst playing for Australia rather than at club level

I reckon SOK would have been well ahead of him during those first 5 years or so

Bazal

Post Whore

Probably, but tough to really say.

Hard to compare but Dan Vettori is probably the best left arm spinner from a similar-ish country...he has a FC average of 32. Jadeja is arguably the best spinner in the world atm and his FC average is 24.

SOK's was 25. In Australia. I'm not suggesting he'd be Jadeja level but I think it's pretty likely he'd be consistent at the 29-ish mark he's got in Tests.

I will also say SOK's SR is 58 compared to BOATs 50. That's significant.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Out of respect Warnie's 708 record should never be broken.

I hope Lyon pulls the plug way before then.

Otherwise he will be playing selfish reasons like James Anderson currently is.

bazza

Immortal
Out of respect Warnie's 708 record should never be broken.

I hope Lyon pulls the plug way before then.

Otherwise he will be playing selfish reasons like James Anderson currently is.
if he played another 22 tests to equal Warne's 145 matches he would have to get around 10 wickets per test to get ahead
It doesn't seem like Australia play as many tests as they used to so looks like it would be next home Ashes series in 25/26 to get to that number of matches - though doubt he could average 10 wickets per game. Also reckon that Ashes series might be the last for a fair few of the current team

Pippen94

First Grade
A left arm spinner from Australia with 500 wickets and an average under 31 is what we are talking about here. Chances are he doesn't get ahead of Lyon.

I'm trying to think of left-arm spinners with that kind of success. Herath, Vettori, Jadeja, Underwood.

Who is Australia's best ever left-arm spinner?

Before Lyon no offspiner took over 150 wickets for Australia.

Bert Ironmoner would be our best with 74 wickets at 17 (from memory)