What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 sydney teams grand finals

Someone

Bench
Two Sydney teams in the GF is the absolute worst thing for the game. Tv ratings are always much bigger when there is at least Brisbane or Melbourne. And then the NZ ratings go up when the Warriors make it. Not that St Merge is a Sydney side. All the players live on the South Coast and they train in Wollongong. The last all Sydney grand final was '04. Any yearning for an all-Sydney game is just more Sydney-centric shit from people who don't know there is a world outside Sydney or are stuck in the past.

Thats a fair point and all, but i sure as hell hope we havent seen the last of an all sydney rivalry GF.

BunniesMan

Immortal
And people like ECT are part of the reason I want Sydney teams to do as well as possible. Anti-Sydney haters with no respect for history.

Thats a fair point and all, but i sure as hell hope we havent seen the last of an all sydney rivalry GF.
Relax, 3 sydney teams made it to a prelim just this year. It's all luck of the draw.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Sharks v cowboys would be the best for me, if i had to be neutral. NSW v QLD, maiden premiership, underdog v underdog.

Knights v Raiders Would be sick as well.

LESStar58

Referee
It makes perfect sense though-

Since 1999 only FOUR Grand Finals have NOT featured the Storm or the Roosters. We now know why the Storm were (and still remain) so successful, which indicates that perhaps the ARLC should take a closer look at the last decades' worth of books over at Bondi Junction?

At least we werent on the roids when we won our premierships mate.

I just laugh at Dogs and Knights fans who call Storm 'cheats'.

Sour grapes? Or the belief that the NRL should remain as egalitarian as possible? We hear from most clubs about how hard it is to win back to back Premierships in this day and age of the salary cap which (supposedly) keeps it a level playing field, yet 2 clubs have frequently won Minor Premierships and contested/ won Grand Finals for more than a decade, one of them were found to be blatantly cheating and you're suggesting we shouldn't take a closer look at the other team?

I always get a laugh out of this mentality.

1. What relevance does 2010 have to 2000-2004?

2. Can we audit Brisbane (wasn't that tried once?) and Manly while we are at it?

3. Can we audit Newcastle as well? 97 premiers, 98 2nd, 99 7th, 2000 3rd, 2001 premiers - How did your club sustain success? Cheating?

And people like ECT are part of the reason I want Sydney teams to do as well as possible. Anti-Sydney haters with no respect for history.
I respect history. And I also know it's in the past. Any tard who thinks that a modern, full-time professional national competition should pander to some backward suburban clubs clearly doesn't.

LESStar58

Referee
Melbourne were proven to be cheating when they won the comp. Twice. Where's the proof anyone else was?

And I'm not going to disagree with that statement but I'm sorry, was I asleep when the Bulldogs were stripped 37 premiership points in 2002 for exactly the same thing my club was found guilty of?

As for Newcastle, for me one of the greatest GFs ever is tainted by the players, including the Churchill Medallist, being on performance enhancing substances. 4 of them that we know of played in that game and were suspended; I wonder how many other players were on the sauce. In my book, they are cheats.

And I'm not going to disagree with that statement but I'm sorry, was I asleep when the Bulldogs were stripped 37 premiership points in 2002 for exactly the same thing my club was found guilty of?

As for Newcastle, for me one of the greatest GFs ever is tainted by the players, including the Churchill Medallist, being on performance enhancing substances. 4 of them that we know of played in that game and were suspended; I wonder how many other players were on the sauce. In my book, they are cheats.
Prove it. The Bulldogs did not win a comp while over the cap. And the Knights players who tested positive (three of them, not four) did so in 1998, not 1997. And of those only one was for steroids. One was for pseudoephedrine, which is found in most cold and flu medicines, and one was for a drug that he was later allowed to continue to use for medical reasons. Not the same as a club being PROVEN to have cheated the cap AND won premierships.

Someone

Bench
This thread has little to do with clubs that have cheated the code at one stage or another. get over it.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
cheat the cap. there may not be much chance of you getting caught, and even if you are unlucky enough to get caught, you will have enough superstars to win the comp 'cleanly'

Storm - got busted 2010, premiers in 2012.
Bulldogs - got busted 2002, premiers in 2004
Raiders - got busted in 1991 (but kept the premierships), premiers 1994

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Every time there aren't two Sydney teams in the GF it demonstrates the growth of the game. TBH my preferred GF would be 2 non-Sydney teams.

Hardly. It just means those clubs have assembled a good squad.

Growth is all down to support. All clubs are growing.

Loudstrat

Coach
Just looking back at the last 10 years and there have only been 3 out of the 10 that the GF has been between 2 Sydney Teams.

It also goes to see how dominant the regional teams have been!
Would hardly call regional teams dominant. Since 2002 (yes, I know it's 11 years.....)

REGIONAL TEAMS APPEARANCES:

Melbourne = 5 (1 legal)
New Zealand 2
Brisbane 1
North Queensland 1

TOTAL: 9 from 4 clubs

SYDNEY TEAMS APPEARANCES:

Roosters 4
Manly 3
Canterbury 2
Penrith 1
Wests Tigers 1
Parramatta 1
St Merge 1

TOTAL: 13 from 7 clubs

MISSED OUT: Regional
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Canberra

MISSED OUT: Sydney
Cronulla
Souths

Sydney clubs still dominate.

Footnote -I went back 11 years not 10 because I find it interesting that in that time period the Warriors have been to more grand finals than Brisbane!

Bluebags1908

Juniors
The only Grand Final ever that didn't involve at least one Sydney team was 2006 (Brisbane vs Melbourne). And Melbourne had to cheat to get there.

davi

Juniors
Sorry Sydney siders, Peter Sterling has predicted a non-Sydney Grand final Broncos vs Storm.

Tell you truth I have never been that convinced on the Roosters after their weak performance against the Titans has only reinforced those doubts. Parramatta has beaten the Broncos twice this year though, so if they run into each other before the Grand Final they could be the bogey team for Brisbane.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...rl-fans/ar-AArfpV8?li=AAavLaF&ocid=spartanntp

Valheru

Coach
Sorry Sydney siders, Peter Sterling has predicted a non-Sydney Grand final Broncos vs Storm.

Tell you truth I have never been that convinced on the Roosters after their weak performance against the Titans has only reinforced those doubts. Parramatta has beaten the Broncos twice this year though, so if they run into each other before the Grand Final they could be the bogey team for Brisbane.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...rl-fans/ar-AArfpV8?li=AAavLaF&ocid=spartanntp

Fair enough.

If sterlo says so i can't see it happening any other way.

Incorrect

Coach

Then we are guaranteed at least 1 Sydney team.... Sterlo's track record when making predictions is very ordinary.... He's been banging on for years that the Storm are in decline, he predicted Tom Humble would be an Eels halves mainstay for a decade before he diappeared from the face of the NRL after a handful more games.... there's countless more examples....