What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 Trading

CyberKev

Staff member
camsmith said:
Lighten up.

I was just pointing out, if it's between you and him, then great.. why bring it to this thread?

To let people know as moderator I'm not tolerating the poor behaviour (across multiple threads) of an individual poster.

Suffice to say, I don't want this forum dragged down to baser BigFooty levels.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
You (& most Hawthorn people) are making an exceptionally huge assumption that every single one of these kids makes it. All good to them if it does, but usually she doesn't work like that.

Not me. From 5 picks at that level I'd be looking for 3 to come on well and for anything more to be a bonus. Markedly improved 21st century draft practices and the extra effort that goes into preparing and identifying young players for the next step, has shown this is not ambitious.

meltiger said:
Personally, I think going down the loser St Kilda road is a huge, huge gamble.

Except that you address St Kilda from an angle that suggests any club should be a premiership certainty. Premierships are bloody hard to win even if you do have a strong list, which is why I look at premierships as a bonus. St Kilda has made the top four over the past two years and most likely will again in 2006. The challenge for all clubs is to get good enough to be in the top four, because if you can do that, you are at least giving yourself a genuine chance at winning a premiership.

Once you're in the top four you then hope that you've put sufficient time and thought into getting balance and strength across your list, so you don't get exposed in key areas (re: St Kilda in the ruck & West Coast in their forwards). From there, you hope you get the luck, ala Sydney, that will seal the deal.

The 'St Kilda' road (such as it is) may be a gamble, but it would be more so if you did it with zero experience on board. Hawthorn still has around 8 very experienced footballers, plus the league's largest quotient of 21-24 year old footballers. That puts us closer to 1992 Essendon than 1995 Fitzroy (if you like to run comparisons with previous younger sides), but until we can get into finals football we're nowhere.

meltiger said:
Then again, it's better than conceding you are a perpetual middle running team like 1 club which brings us to the Rawlings/Hay trades...

The Kangaroos obviously feel that its better to play safe and keep a solid mid table side that's just good enough to raise outside hopes of a flag, and not fragile enough to plummett into the bottom four.

Essentially they're hoping to do a Steven Bradbury on the competition, which -- I suppose -- is what Sydney did this year to some extent, although the Swans do have a few classier players on offer than the Kangaroos.

The problem I have with the Kangaroos is that they've gone from the most aggressive and adventurous club in the comp, to one that would rather nourish its fanbase on hollow notions of "shinboner spirit", than genuinely give them a chance at the big prize.

As I said previously, you're either in the four and a serious premiership player, or you're not really anywhere.

The club likes to push the nonsense line that unlike other clubs it can't afford to finish in the bottom four. As if any club can "afford" to spend time in the bottom four. They end up there because they're not good enough. If you know you're not quite good enough, but you persist in prioritising other club's cast-offs across numerous years, then eventually you'll find yourself in the bottom four regardless.

Having said that, watch for a shock Kangaroo premiership win in 2006. Football can be like that.

meltiger said:
North Melbourne basically got him for nothing now, with the Dogs paying 450 over the next two years and the Roos 150. Dogs must have been DESPERATE to get rid of him.

Personally, still think he has potential as a 3rd backman, with a genuine CHB and FB in the same side. Hay gives them a Fullback, not sure of their CHB stocks though?

I've been hearing those figures bandied around, but I'm not sure that I believe them. Given that the Bulldogs actually traded down a draft pick for the Kangaroos to take Rawlings, I can't believe that they would also have agreed to paying that much of his salary.

He's gone physically, but at least his brother should be happy.

meltiger said:
Hay.... most of you seem to have lost faith in him ... Gaspar had a very, very poor year last year, this year was bloody sensational. Why? The flow of ball coming from the oppositions midfield was less. A FB can only look as good as his midfield allows him too. Will be interesting to see if Hay is really yesterdays man, or if playing in a marginally better side will allow him some freedom to get back to AA form.

Hay will probably, in one-on-one terms, do much the same for the Kangaroos as he has done for us. He rarely allows his direct opponent to kick much because he sits off him and punches, and does this well. What doesn't show up in the stats sheets is his lack of effort in supporting teammates and, more tellingly, his horrific ball use which leads to regular turnovers and goals registered against team mates instead of him. This is why he was well down on blokes like Michael, Scarlett & even young Rutten who are confident players with the ball and can think through situations when running with it in their defensive 50.

Good luck to him anyway, he's not a bad person and was always popular around the club.

Stormin Norman

Juniors
i dont know if this has been posted but essendon pulled an allmighty scam trade week just as carlton thought they had signed sealed and got ted richards delived to optus oval about 30 min later it was anounced ted richards wit pick 55 to syd for pick something and 51 to essendon. ppl have been scrathing there heads thinking what has sheedy pulled this yr simple really let me explain
father son draftees can be taken no later then the 3rd round which essendon has at i think 33 wit the 55 and 51 swapping essendon now can take this kid under the father son rule at 51 instead of 33 and can use 33 for someone better while using basicly there 4th round as father son
and as a very anoyed carlton supporter i now get nothing for a bloke who we looked after for 11 seasons got him a prem and has captained the club

CyberKev

Staff member
Sounds like a nice conspiracy theory, Stormin, but alas it falls down due to AFL rules.

For father/son selections a club MUST use its original third round pick, which in Essendon's case is pick 39.

Hawthorn, similarly, is locked into using 38 for Travis Tuck, which is why they readily traded 54 to Port Adelaide (which I suspect they were never going to use anyway), but kept 38 off limits.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
To let people know as moderator I'm not tolerating the poor behaviour (across multiple threads) of an individual poster.

Suffice to say, I don't want this forum dragged down to baser BigFooty levels.

Poor behaviour?

You mean my distaste for Hawthorn and the blinkered attitudes of it's supporters?

Hawthorn at present are a poor reflection of what it was in the 80's, they are a laughing stock and deserved of all criticism levelled at them.

No different to the disgusting banter that Richmond supporters have had to put up with for 25 years now.

It's no fun when your team is a laughing stock, is it Kev? Deal with it. We have had too.

Respect Hawthorn? What for? What they did 20 years ago? No.

meltiger

First Grade
camsmith said:
Lighten up.

I was just pointing out, if it's between you and him, then great.. why bring it to this thread?

There is worse mods than Kev around. Personally, his openess is better than being secretive.