What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-ba

Post Whore
I was thinking about flying down to Sydney to visit Mum next Sunday. Manly wins out I'm afraid...

yakstorm

First Grade
Broncos v Manly has already pre-sold 20,000 tickets, and with a week to go they are easily on track for a 30K+ crowd.

Eels v Dragons, well the Eels have almost 6,000 members / sponsors / officials entitled to tickets to their home games, whilst the Dragons have 3,500 full members, and 2,500 ANZ only members, so in theory we should be looking at a base of 12,000 for this game before they sell a ticket...

Roosters are offering a special deal for kids under 16 to get in free to the Raiders match which hopefully will see families get out to the game...

beave

Coach
The warriors game does not look good crowd wise, I reckon there is lucky 8-10k there. Attrocious weather though, but you would think the kiwi fans would be accustomed to it....

JW

Coach
Haven't seen the camera side of the ground at Mt Smart, but looking at the rest of the place it looks comfortably below 10K.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
7,358 @ MSS

Should be ashamed. What a disgrace. Kick the Warriors out of the comp :sarcasm:

No excuses :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Knights/Titans @ EAS 21,280
Penrith/Parra @ CUA 18,724
Wests/Broncos @ ANZ 11,177
NZ/Canberra @ MSS 7,358
Rabbits/Cows @ ANZ 9,818

Total: 68,357
Average: 13,671

Pitiful.

Teddyboy

First Grade
There's nothing wrong with Sydney crowds.Maybe there are too many teams in Sydney but have a look at the crowds back at the start of the 1990's to Super League when the game was at it's best and then have a look at the teams like's of Parramatta,Manly Sea Eagles,Penrith,West Tigers,Bulldogs(i suppose)and even the Sharks get now.
I think the Sydney games are strong but it's only the ANZ that is causing the main problem for low crowds.Even a half full ANZ is sh*te.

souths had lost 7 in a row and were playing an out of town team with hardly any away fans.

given that near on 10,000 is fairly good id have thought.

it wasnt that long ago that 10,000 was considered a good enough crowd, let alone for a team that hadnt won a game.

souths are one sydney club that can get massive crowds and i expect them to average 30,000 over time.

and the dogs and tigers are other clubs that will soon break 20,000 and push higher.

the common factor is ANZ stadium. its got good public transport, centrally located in sydney and offers clubs good deals to move there.

sydney suburban grounds simply arent big enough and clubs need to be ambitious in building their crowds, and anz provides the answer.

parra playing their bigger games there is also a good idea and i think they can start getting crowds of 30,000 or so at the ground as well.

flamin

Juniors
souths had lost 7 in a row and were playing an out of town team with hardly any away fans.

given that near on 10,000 is fairly good id have thought.

it wasnt that long ago that 10,000 was considered a good enough crowd, let alone for a team that hadnt won a game.

souths are one sydney club that can get massive crowds and i expect them to average 30,000 over time.

A few years ago everyone expected Souths to draw a <10000 crowd when playing an out of town team. Souths crowd numbers reverted back to the same figures they were getting a few seasons ago where the club was putting up similar on-field performances. This shows that despite the relative on-field success of last season and the positive indicators of off-field success (memberships, sponsorships) the core fanbase has not grown.

flamin

Juniors
I did not expect it, as I didn't expect them to all the seasons where they were lined up for the wooden spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts