What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Trials

ooeey_ranga

Juniors
Thanks Scuba, will stay tuned. Contemplating the drive up after work on friday, been a long off season as they always are!

ooeey_ranga said:
Thanks Scuba, will stay tuned. Contemplating the drive up after work on friday, been a long off season as they always are!

Just got off the phone to Liz at Manly - she said she isn't expecting there to be any formal announcement as such regarding our squads. Basically, it will all depend on whether Dessie and the coaching staff release the squad information to them (Office Admin - Website Admin etc). She said if anything was to be announced, it would probably be announced late Thursday or even early Friday - but it isnt likely.

Cheers.

EDIT: It has been posted on another forum that both Lyon and Matai are out (serving suspensions) and in an NRL article (http://nrl.com.au/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/7836/Default.aspx) it states 'most of the Eagles' grand final squad will run out for Manly' - so only time will tell I guess.

ooeey_ranga

Juniors
Thanks mate. I was just interested to see who would be running around as a few have had surgery, like brett stewart etc. I've been able to tee up getting off work a bit early so will get there for a bit of the game beforehand. Have been warned about the friday arvo traffic up to the central coast!

Correct me if i am wrong, at one stage i thought NYC were playing before NRL in this trial, then premier league were shifted to the curtain raiser spot?

ooeey_ranga said:
Thanks mate. I was just interested to see who would be running around as a few have had surgery, like brett stewart etc. I've been able to tee up getting off work a bit early so will get there for a bit of the game beforehand. Have been warned about the friday arvo traffic up to the central coast!

Correct me if i am wrong, at one stage i thought NYC were playing before NRL in this trial, then premier league were shifted to the curtain raiser spot?

The NYC is basically just a more publicised version of the Jersey Flegg - incorporating all NRL clubs as opposed to just NSWRL clubs. Last year, Jersey Flegg was always played as a curtain raiser to Premier League. At this trial (against Melbourne), the Premier League (now known as NSW Cup) will kick off at 6:00pm, whereas the Toyota Cup (NYC) will kick off at 4:15pm. I'm not sure whether this will be the case at NRL fixtures. I'd like to think the PL can be played before the Toyota Cup so the fans that arrive early can watch the best juniors from both NRL clubs go at it before the main game.

Also guys, just curious about what everyone thinks about the whole trials concept? Are they worth it? Why? Why not? Interesting to see the feedback on this.

Cheers.

So I guess Manly management were mistaken.

Here's our squad:

Manly coach Des Hasler has named new buys Josh Perry, Heath L'Estrange, David Vaealiki, Tim Browne and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves in a squad to play premiers Melbourne Storm at Gosford's Bluetongue Stadium on Friday night. The five newcomers will get playing time in the trial which kicks off at 7.30 p.m.

Rival coaches Hasler and Melbourne's Craig Bellamy have agreed to a trial of three 30 minute sections in an effort to give as many players as possible an opportunity. Manly have several topliners unavailable through suspension and recovery from off season operations. Jamie Lyon and Jason King have carry over suspensions from the grand final while Steve Matai, Brett Stewart and former Parramatta centre David Williams are recovering from off season operations. All five are expected to play in Manly's next trial against the New Zealand Warriors at Caloundra on February 29.

The Manly squad for the Melbourne trial is as follows:

1 Michael Robertson
2 Nick Bradley-Qalilawa
3 Steve Bell
4 David Vaealiki
5 Michael Bani
6 Jeff Robson
7 Matt Orford
8 Mark Bryant
9 Matt Ballin
10 Brent Kite
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Glenn Stewart
13 Luke Williamson
14 Josh Perry
15 Glenn Hall
16 Adam Cuthbertson
17 Steve Menzies
18 Sean Meaney
19 Andrew Suniula
20 Shane Neumann
21 Clint Halden
22 Tim Browne
23 Heath L’Estrange
24 Phil Morwood
25 Vic Mauro
26 Jon Grieve
27 Jason Wells
28 Jared Warea-Hargreaves
29 Gideon Mzemba

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?newsid=2844

Cheers.

ooeey_ranga

Juniors
Just saw it in the paper. Looks good, now i'm a definate starter in making the trip up. Looking forward to it. Cheers Scuba.

One thing I was thinking to myself earlier was how Jeff Robson would go. If Lyon or Orford were to get injured during the season, he'd be the first backup for either position.

Our backline depth and forward depth is strong, but in the halves, we're in a bit of trouble if injuries strike.

Here's an article released today in the Manly Daily:

MANLY captain Matt Orford believes his ever-blossoming halves partnership with Jamie Lyon can push both their claims for representative jumpers this year.
Lyon floated between centre and five-eighth last season but the move to No 6 appears permanent for 2008 following the departure of Michael Monaghan and Travis Burns in the off-season.

The pair have acknowledged they face greater pressure to generate more in attack for the Sea Eagles this season and are prepared to attack the line more often.
And Orford is hopeful the added responsibility could help the duo continue their association into the representative ranks.

"I'm working my butt off to make (rep teams) this year and the best way to do that is play good for Manly and be consistent," Orford said ahead of the club's opening trial against the Storm in Gosford tomorrow night. "If we're winning games and I'm playing to my best and taking the line on as much as possible then I'm throwing my hat in the ring. "(Lyon) is just a great runner of the ball and one-on-one he's going to beat you most times and this pre-season he's been working on that.

"He's also a lot more comfortable with the calls and telling blokes where to be and if they're not there he rips right into them, which is good to see.
"In representative selections they look at halves combinations together, so playing together is not going to do us any harm."

Lyon had a mixed season in his long-awaited return to the NRL last year, helping the club to its first grand final in a decade.

But Lyon also lost his place in the Australian side for the end-of-year Test against New Zealand. The former Eel also "won" the most overrated tag in a Rugby League Week's infamous player poll. But the Sea Eagles skipper believes Lyon, who has worked on becoming a better playmaker this year, will answer those critics in the best possible way.
"He's had an awesome pre-season and I think he'll feel a whole lot more comfort-able this year than last year," Orford said.

"Last year, he had come with all these massive expectations and he's a class player and we all know that but I think we'll see a lot more out of him this year."

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler yesterday named a 29-man squad for the Storm trial.
Tomorrow night's match at Bluetongue Stadium, which consists of three 30-minute periods, kicks off at 7.30.

http://www.manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/02/14/8728_sports.html - article written by John Greco

Latest posts