What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 World Cup FINAL - Australia v New Zealand *Match Thread*

typicalfan

Coach
Nathan Fien has been the Kiwis best for the tournament. Sam Rapira had a stormer of a game too, good on NZ.

I had money on them the day after they lost 30-6 in the first week. Although I am disappointed in Australia, NZ played very very well

aussies1st

Staff member
All I can say is WTF. Great performance by the Kiwis, going to be hard to live this one down being such big favourites and dominating all but one game.

jdizzle

Juniors
There's something much more wrong: calling the man of the match in the world cup final "The Jetstar Man of the Match Award". Don't name it after Dave Valentine or Mal Meninga or Puig Aubert. Let's name it after a sh*tty airline. Dickheads.

Jetstar are one of the few organisations that supported this tournament commercially.

They deserve all recognition they get. It makes no difference what it is called.

Get over it.

Noa

First Grade
Yep. But there is more wrong with blatant biased officiating.

Give it up, the ref was fine. None of his calls were obviously bad decisions, sometimes teams just get the rub of the green.

On the game it was the forwards who let the Aussies down. Stewart, Watmough, Tupou, Kite, Gallen puh-lease.

Better then the 86 roos, LMAO.

Goey Man

Juniors
There is something very wrong with giving the MOTM in a world cup final to a player on the losing team...

If there was 2 points in it, fair enough. But this marigin, that's just crazy talk. I only hope Nathan Cayless is saying "I'd like to thank our sponsors Pirtek" in ten and half months time before holding up the NRL trophy.

jdizzle

Juniors
Give it up, the ref was fine. None of his calls were obviously bad decisions, sometimes teams just get the rub of the green.

On the game it was the forwards who let the Aussies down. Stewart, Watmough, Tupou, Kite, Gallen puh-lease.

Better then the 86 roos, LMAO.

I agree the Australian forwards didn't turn up.

In fact, the Australians' arrogance was why they lost tonight. They thought they just had to turn up and when they scored some easy early tries they turned off.

But to say there were no bad decisions that were obvious is being blinded by the passion for RL. If Benji was allowed to continue playing after having the ball knocked out of his hands, why weren't the Australians?

There was also the Penalty Try which IMO wasn't a penalty try. Definitely a penalty and sin binning of Monaghan - but not a penalty try. It was 50-50 on whether Slater or the Kiwi would get to it.

Then the final try with the blatant offside. In the NRL or pool games, that would have been pulled up.

griff

Bench
Jetstar are one of the few organisations that supported this tournament commercially.

They deserve all recognition they get. It makes no difference what it is called.

Get over it.

You're right. Lets rename the Clive Churchill medal the Chrisco Medal and the Dally M Award the Debortoli Wines Award while we are at it. The legendary players don't deserve recognition, we should only recognise our sponsors.

TimmyB

Juniors
Wow Kiwis were outstanding, just brilliant. Without doubt one of the bravest performances I've ever seen. Great.

Did Glen Stewart play? And was there any reason Australia gave Inglis almost no ball? It seemed like we played almost exclusively down the right hand side.

Amazing stuff.

Nerd

Bench
I wouldn't be having a go at Williams about that for a number of reasons... Firstly it should have been an Australia penalty because two players involved in the tackle from an offside position. But ignoring that, how about Slater's running to the sideline and throwing the ball away. Furthermore, how about Williams' try saving tackle? Or the try he scored?

He is not the worst player out there. In all fairness, the Aussie forwards didn't turn up, althought I thought Gallen and Stewart played their guts out.

Williams got taken out on the first tackle once then had another go later on and only by throwing the ball over his shoulder did he avoid getting dragged out again. I stand by my comment. Agree that NZ forwards played over the Aussies. The Aussie forwards never twigged that Klein wasnt going to penalise for holding players down.

JW

Coach
The ref was not a problem, our mistakes were. Those blaming the ref need to let go of their inner Pommy.

And given what we put up with in the NRL, the ref certainly can't be blamed.

Besides, the Roos at their best are well above any influence by the officials. Simple fact is that NZ produced a level of play required to beat Australia and force them into an arm wrestle. It payed off and they deserved their win.

Just like after 2005, its up to the next Roos squad to right tonights wrongs and restore pride to one of the most sucessful jerseys in sport.

jdizzle

Juniors
You're right. Lets rename the Clive Churchill medal the Chrisco Medal and the Dally M Award the Debortoli Wines Award while we are at it. The legendary players don't deserve recognition, we should only recognise our sponsors.

Those medals have a bit of history with the name as opposed to your suggestions.

But hey, Clive Churchill is not going to keep the game alive, the great player he was - the sponsors are.

Goey Man

Juniors

I wouldn't mind wining a Chrisco.