What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 ANZAC TEST. Australia v New Zealand

Pistol

Coach
ANZAC TEST 2010
AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS V NEW ZEALAND KIWIS
logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg
-v-
logo_kiwi_NZ.jpg

Willow (c)---- Madunit (c)

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams (F7s Test conditions):
* 5v5 (+ 3 reserves for each team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

FULL TIME: Wednesday 12th May at 9pm (Syd time)

REFEREE: antonius

Venue: FRONT ROW STADIUM

ground_tfr_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Roos have churned up the hallowed turf of The Front Row Stadium with a blistering warm up. ozbash makes a run for it only to be dragged back by madunit.

The Australian Kangaroos - Anzac Test 2010

logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg

1. Willow (Bluebags) (c)
2. Azkatro (Panthers)
3. Titanic (Titans)
4. DragonPunk (Dragons)
5. Non Terminator
(Roosters)

Res:
6. griffo346 (Rabbitohs)
7. Joshie
(Panthers)
8. gorilla (Bluebags)

Don't forget your jerseys.
Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

Good luck one and all.

ozbash

Referee
Pistol, sir..

where does this person originate from, please ?

REFEREE: antonius

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kiwi's, sufferring from Jetlag after the long trip over to the country of convicts.

ozbash (c)
madunit (c)
MKEB
byrne_rovelli_fan82
Jesbass

reserve
mrs mannering

GO KIWIS!!

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Kiwi's

A History of Deceit
Ever since the games inception there has been deceit, lying and cheating. They involved individual players, teams, team officials, even referees. Below are some of the most prominent of controversies.
Some reports state that Balmain and Souths came to an agreement to boycott the Final, which was listed as the undercard to the fourth exhibition game between the Kangaroos and the Wallabies. Balmain true to their word, stood outside the ground, however Souths arrived earlier, kicked off, scored a try against no-one and declared premiers by forfeit.
Dan Davies was a player from Newcastle whom Glebe brought to Sydney. The residential rule stipulated that players outside each clubs region had to live in the area for 28 days before they could play. Davies, however, was living in the region of the Annandale club. Glebe officials changed his address, but not before Annandale officials realised. Davies first and only game for Glebe coincidentally, was against Annandale. Glebe won and Annandale protested, demanding the game be forfeited by Glebe. The NSWRL agreed and deducted the two premiership points from Glebe. Glebe players and officials were outraged and most of their first grade squad boycotted the next game. The players who refused to play were suspended for the rest of the season.
The finals structure in the 1940’s meant that if the minor premier lost any finals match, they could challenge the winner of the final, in a grand final to determine the Premiers. 1944 premiers Newtown annihilated St.George 55-7 in the Semi-Final and automatically advanced to the Final, where they were to meet Balmain. It was revealed that Newtown decided to ‘throw’ the final, knowing they could challenge, and in doing so, earn extra gate takings from a second game. Newtown lost the final to Balmain 19-16 then challenged Balmain to a rematch. Newtown initially denied the claims before their Secretary revealed it was true a week later. Newtown lost the Grand Final to Balmain.
The Grand Final many remember for the immortal image of Norm Provan and Arthur Summons. However, prior to the match, Jack Gibson informed Wests players he heard that the referee, Darcy Lawler, had put money on St.George to win the Grand Final. Two contentious decisions marred the game. In the first half, Wests’ Peter Dimond dived on a ball and seemingly scored a try, however after grounding the ball, it squirted out. Lawler ruled a knock-on. Late in the second half, St.George winger Johnny King made a short run down the left wing before being tackled. Wests players believed Lawler said “Let him up”. King got up and kept running and scored the match-winning try in the corner. Lawler retired after the game.
Conspiracy theories are still doing the rounds regarding referee Greg Hartley and an alleged affiliation with Manly. He awarded a try to Manly on the seventh tackle against Parramatta in a semi-final, ensuring Manly advanced to the Grand Final. Hartley officiated the Grand Final which Manly also won. He was invited to tour with the 1978 Kangaroo’s to England and France, allegedly by Manly officials. Many believed it was Manly’s gift to Hartley.
The 1984 Grand Final was a torrid, low scoring affair which saw Canterbury defeat Parramatta 6-4. It was revealed after the game that some Canterbury players, notably Michael Hagan and Steve Folkes, wore illegal shoulder pads made of fibreglass.
Extensive drug testing of players had been undertaken throughout all clubs, with a number of Souths players tested positive for illegal drugs. Souths immediately sacked the players, much to their own detriment. They won just 2 of their 22 games, finishing dead last, after being minor premiers the previous season.
One year after the introduction of a salary cap, it was revealed Canberra had exceeded the cap in 1990-91. Canberra were premiers in 1990 and Grand Finalists the next year. In 1992 they were forced to shed a number of their players so as to fit under the cap again. Several other teams went on to breach the cap between 1991 and 2009, most notably Canterbury in 2002 who lost all their premiership points, finishing last.
Melbourne Storm were found to have elaborately exceeded the salary cap for five consecutive years. They were stripped of their premierships in 2007 and 2009 and were denied the opportunity to accrue any premiership points for the 2010 season.
As the game advances, unfortunately, so too does the deceit.
749 Words, in the official word counter

Non Terminator becomes the fifth player to play in his 6th Test.
738 Words OWC under the jersey.

Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

The Slickers And The Bumpkins

"The game means absolutely nothing, they're not playing for any sort of pride."
"It's not even a trial, the New South Wales team has already been decided."
"It's pointless and it causes injuries to key players, it's like a pre-season trial."
"It's giving undeserving players the honour of being known as a rep player."
"Nobody cares about it."

Every single year when the annual encounter between City Origin and Country Origin is being promoted, we keep hearing quotes like these from Rugby League supporters. The match has taken the obvious mantle of being the least anticipated match each and every season. Despite the recent encounter being a more entertaining match than the Test, it still doesn't hit any sort of fame with the majority of Rugby League supporters.

The effort that the players and volunteers put into the match went un-noticed. The promotion of the game to the Country areas of New South Wales also went un-noticed. The fans that actually care about the game, those having a personal connection to it also went un-noticed. People say City Slickers don't care about it. I know that is complete bull.

I was born in Camden Hospital. The birthplace of a number of players (such as John Hopoate) that represented City Origin. I knew that I would end up a City Origin supporter. My mother (who is a mad Parramatta Eels supporter) thought I made the right move. It wasn't because she is a City girl, but she enjoyed the fact that I was now supporting a team that wore the blue and yellow. Back in Campbelltown, there was only a handful of people that came from "Country" regions, it was mostly Wollongong I guess. Back then, I enjoyed watching the game, it was yet to have any sort of personal connection with me however.

In late 2002, our family made the decision to move to the Central Coast. At this point in time, mum doesn't like the soccer, but thanks to that colourful connection she doesn't mind me supporting the Central Coast Mariners A-League side either. Anyways, I went to school in Belmont. Not only was I a lone Sydney Roosters supporter amongst a sea of Newcastle Knights supporters, I was also a lone City Origin supporter amongst a sea of Country Origin supporters (back in the day when the Newcastle Knights would always field half of the Country Origin side too). The rivalry was just too good.

2003 was a beautiful year for rivalry. It goes deeper than the Roosters being a mile better than my mother's Eels too. Both City Origin and Country Origin named amazing sides that year. Both sides included Test and Origin players galore. Not only that, the great Bill Harrigan was in charge of the whistle on a beautiful night at Gosford (back when it was known as ExpressAdvocate Stadium). Nobody could've avoided enjoying a match like this:

COUNTRY ORIGIN: David Peachey, Timana Tahu, Jamie Lyon, Shaun Timmins, Matt Cooper, Trent Barrett, Andrew Johns (c), Ryan O'Hara, Danny Buderus, Jason Ryles, Craig Fitzgibbon, Ben Kennedy, Glenn Morrison. Bench: Josh Perry, Willie Mason, Daniel Abraham, John Morris. Coach: Brian Smith.
CITY ORIGIN: Anthony Minichiello, Hazem El Masri, Mark Gasnier, Michael De Vere, John Hopoate, Braith Anasta, Brent Sherwin, Jason Stevens, Craig Wing, Robbie Kearns (c), Steve Menzies, Bryan Fletcher, Luke Ricketson. Bench: Solomon Haumono, Lance Thompson, Joel Clinton, Craig Gower. Coach: Graham Murray.

Not only did City win that night by the slimmest of margins, but later in the year the Sydney Roosters were able to knock out the Newcastle Knights 36-8 in the finals (after what seemed to be a perfect first half). Of course, thanks to the Grand Final, for some reason, everybody else had the ability to maintain the last laugh.

But the year did begin my love-fest for this game. Every year I witness it, I see more people getting involved, and getting enthusiastic about the game. I don't think of the game as a chance to reward undeserving players a rep jumper, because after witnessing some of the performances in City-Country, it gives us a chance to witness future Origin and Test stars show what they've got to give in a major match. In the match we just witnessed, we saw players fighting for their Origin spots. Against the players involved in the Test match, it's easy to say that some won their fight.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
byrne_rovelli_fan82 for the Kiwis:

~~
Made for the wet

After observing the wet weather football that was played at AAMI Park last Friday though I wasn’t there to experience the atmosphere, it brought back a couple of fun memories from the Warriors visit to Melbourne in 2009 in Round 7 and as well as a game from 2005 vs the Tigers. The Warriors and Storm play in what is now known as the annual ANZAC game between the two teams; they played out the game in great spirits, but not only that the players and all the spectators endured some freezing conditions to go with it.

Prior to the game I watched the two Under 20s teams play out their match in reasonable conditions that was at the most cloudy and quite overcast. The reports throughout the day spoke of possible showers in the day and into the evening, and with the way Melbourne weather is being so unpredictable the forecasts didn’t matter but anything was possible on the day.

As the U20s game came to a close I looked skywards and noticed now the clouds had turned much darker and the smell of rain was in the air definitely a sign the weather would turn. Small droplets didn’t seem to create too much of a problem then slowly the droplets grew heavier and heavier. The two teams came out for the pre-game warm ups and went through their paces eventually the droplets slacked off just in time for the pre-game presentation.

Once the game got underway though the weather again turned on its head, the rain began to pelt down this time much harder and within minutes all at the ground were soaked through.

As the game unfolded with both teams challenging but not making too much of a break through the excitement of the game, the atmosphere and the weather all combined together for thrilling match. At it’s height the game also greatly highlighted the benefits of having a game like the league being played through the winter.

During the winter we want nothing more than to sit at home wrapped up in warm clothing with a cup of soup or Milo in hand and the last thought we would have is to go outside into the cold and play. Still footy was always made to be played during the winter with its impeccable un-predictability and the almost certainly that the outcome of games can be easily affected by the weather.

As an observer and a player there is nothing better than going out there and having some fun. Just imagine scoring a try and instead of having sprint all the way to dot down after sprinting a long way; when the weather is wet and soggy all you’d need to do is slide in. You might come out of it covered in water and mud but even that is a great feeling to experience.

Unfortunately now stadiums are better prepared to deal with wet weather conditions so playing in soggy conditions no longer exists.

In 2005 the Warriors played a home match at their favorite ground, Mt Smart (then called Ericsson Stadium) stadium against the Wests Tigers. That particular Tigers team hosted some talented players and specifically they had Benji Marshall and Scott Prince together in the halves and it was also the same year they would go on and become NRL Champions. The day was just the usual normal day in Auckland and much like Melbourne you just never knew what could happen. During the first half of the game it was all fine the teams showed their class. Later on in the match the weather suddenly turned on the water works. Out of absolutely nowhere it all poured down, the rain hit hard and heavy temperatures and within seconds the ground became a puddle, fans ran for cover but the players carried on. Blinded by the rain they soon had to contend with a hail, and these weren’t small bits of hail that fell from the sky. The hail was huge and posed a serious concern for the safety of the players, still the game went on and in that short amount of time endured the roughest conditions ever seen.

No matter what anyone says about watching a game of league in perfect conditions it will never top watching the game played in typical winter weather and seeing the players getting down and dirty, so bring on the next lot of rain at the footy.
~~

745 words between the '~' lines.

Azkatro

First Grade
Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

Azkatro for the Kangaroos.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Scoring" a penalty try

The date is September 26, 1999. It is late on Sunday afternoon at Homebush in Sydney's west, but it is far from quiet. Over 100,000 spectators are crammed into the newly built Stadium Australia and have just witnessed one of the most memorable moments in a rugby league match in history.

Melbourne's Craig Smith (not the prop forward, but the unheralded outside back) has just collected a Brett Kimmorley kick in the 76th minute of the NRL Grand Final. Despite successfully catching the ball (as video replays showed), he is tackled illegally by St George/Illawarra's Jamie Ainscough and, apparently concussed by the hit, he spills the ball.

After referring the matter to the video referee, Bill Harrigan jogs over to the posts and points to the spot, officially awarding Melbourne a penalty try.

Regardless of how fervently one may try to argue this sequence of events, there can be little reasonable opposition to how the rules were applied. The referees could be absolutely sure that, without foul play, a try would have been scored:

Official Laws Of Rugby League, Section 6(d) - "Penalty try: the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts irrespective of where the offence occurred."

While the rugby league rule book is clear on the process of awarding a penalty try, it is not necessarily so clear in identifying who - or what - the penalty try is awarded to.

Statisticians typically award a penalty try to the player who was impeded from scoring. The most recent example was Jharal Yow Yeh of Brisbane, who was impeded by Melbourne's Billy Slater in the act of scoring. Consequently, Yow Yeh had one try added to both his season and career try tallies. He was also credited with scoring 4 further points in his season and career. The same also applied to Melbourne's Craig Smith following the 1999 Grand Final.

However if you look back to the early history of the game, you will find examples of penalty tries which were awarded to no particular player. In round 4 of 1908, Newtown travelled to Birchgrove to take on Balmain. During the second half, a Newtown player was interfered with in the process of attempting to score, and as the Sydney Morning Herald report says, resulted in "Newtown being given a try, which [Frank] Cheadle failed to convert."

All current records consider this, and other early examples, as a penalty try being awarded to the team, not any one player. Perhaps this was regarded as a flawed interpretation of the rules, given that has since been handled differently - with individual players receiving credit for penalty tries.

The more I think about it though, the more unusual I think this situation is. How can you reasonably credit a try to a player who, technically, never actually scored?

So often, we are subject to ultra close-ups and super slo-mo replays of players who attempt to score a try. Even if the video referee can find a fraction of a centimetre of space between the player's hand and the ball before it's grounded, he will give it no try. In that sense, the message from the game's adjudicators is that it is fundamental that a player has 100% legally grounded the ball in the correct area - with literally no margin for error - before they are credited with scoring a try.

Yet if the reason they didn't ground the ball is due to external foul play, it is deemed valid to credit the player in question with having scored - and why, just because they would have?

My opinion is that no player should be credited with scoring when a penalty try is awarded, because they didn't actually score. And in a statistical sense, all players who have "scored" penalty tries in their career should have their tryscoring and pointscoring tallies updated.

This might seem slightly harsh, but it makes more sense. It would go a long way to clearing a lot of the confusion associated with penalty tries, and the difference between a penalty try and an eight point try.

It would also be fairer to the handful players who were never credited with penalty tries in the early years of the game.

Why should they miss out just because the interpretation of record keepers changed somewhere along the line?

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Sources:
"Official Laws Of The Game", The Rugby Football League, http://www.therfl.co.uk/clientdocs/rugby_laws_book_2007_%20(2).pdf (PDF document)
"BALMAIN v NEWTOWN", Sydney Morning Herald, 18 March 1908: p10.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Australia
Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

George is alive!

Anyone who read my last Forum Sevens foray will remember the sudden passing of a new friend.

It was not a happy ending:

Sadly, George had passed away on Friday night after watching the football. [link]

Or so I thought.

Well, I'm delighted (and embarrassed) to say that I got it wrong - big time! It turns out George is alive and kicking!

The woman who answered the phone, his elderly sister, did indeed say George had passed away. But she was talking about a neighbour. An epic misunderstanding. I didn't pick up on it at the time, and I have to say I had more than a twinge of sorrow afterwards.

You can imagine my surprise when George called my mobile phone on the weekend.

"This is George...."

"Good grief! Aren't you dead?"

"Haha! Let me check..."

Followed by more laughter.

Then there was a series of explanations and apologies, and the inevitable joke that 'reports of my death have been somewhat exaggerated'.

George, 85-years-old, holds a wealth of information about the game as it was. A time of unlimited tackles and a strong international scene. A time when Great Britain fielded some of the best teams in the world and France was a force to be reckoned with.

George is also a keen military historian and he told me he had more information on rugby league players that had fought in the war. Possessing an excellent memory of past events, George has made it his quest to research the careers of those sportsmen that had served for club and country.

"I have an interest in military history and also history of League, Union and cricket." George said.

He sent me an email that afternoon. Knowing that I am a St George supporter seeking obscure anecdotes about long forgotten players, my friend George was more than accommodating.

"Of the St George players that served in the AIF, I have listed a few. Percy Fairall, a 1937-8 Kangaroo served from 1940-1945. Jack Holland, 1948 Kangaroo, is another."

"Stan Root is often listed as serving in the AIF but he tried twice to enlist and was discharged as being underage. He didn't get overseas."

All very interesting and one for the archives, but I sent back an email and asked for more about the life and times of George - and his views on rugby league.

"I played for a team which won the Sydney A grade Catholic Youth championship in 1948. I was very average player being tall thin and slow. Probably my best games were when I played for my Navy ship in the Islands in 1946 but the opposition may not have been too hot.

"I was a follower of North Sydney and was broken hearted when they lost the 1943 grand final to Newtown. Since Norths have been dropped, I don't go to games but watch on TV.

"I have been a member of the Sydney Cricket Ground since 1949 and saw most Saturday matches except for times in the 50s when I was overseas in the army or working in England."

George then brought forward his wide experience, showing that he is a well travelled rugby league tragic.

"A great regret is that the standard of English and French teams has dropped. The 1962 English team was one of the very best teams which I ever saw. I also saw the 1951 Frenchmen - what a team. We forget how good the Poms were.

"The 1956 Kangaroos were beaten by St Helens 44-2."

Perhaps the most interesting series of anecdotes came through when George started rating and comparing past players. In particular, Great Britain and St Helens halfback Alex Murphy, South Sydney great Clive Churchill and Queensland legend Wally Lewis, with Lewis getting the biggest wrap of all.

"Alex Murphy was the best halfback I have seen. The 1958 Poms cleaned up our forwards even with Provan, O'Shea, Mossop et al."

"I saw a lot of Churchill. He was a great brave little player but I don't give him the very top rating. I think Wally Lewis was the best I have seen. Of course he had great size. Gasnier was superb and Raper was remarkable."

A lot to take in. I sent another email, thanking George for his time for providing a priceless glimpse into the past.

He replied with just one line.

"Happy to give you my thoughts, rather pleasing for an old man."

|740 words|
Ref: The Forum Sevens (round 3, 2010) http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=6511305&postcount=11

Last edited:

mrsmannering

Juniors
logo_kiwi_NZ.jpg

mrs mannering for the Kiwis.

Down at the park.

"C'mon boy, put ya back into it!” screamed my father from the other side of the shed.
'We ain't got all day, I wanna be home to listen to the rugby on the wireless. If I miss that you'll get a clip around the ears!” he yelled threateningly.

"Yes father", I said sheepishly.

And so began our Saturday afternoon ritual over the winter months.
Rush, rush, so Dad could listen to any rugby union game on the radio.
I didn't care. Rugby was boring.

I lived and breathed for Sundays. Dad hated them. No we didn't go to church, much to Mum's displeasure. My joy was because I had the chance to play rugby league after lunch!
Mum would have to take me, Dad said it was a waste of time.

My mother was the only chance I had to play the game I discovered on Sunday afternoons, my classmates disgusted by my actions.

I was told I was too fat to play union, that I was useless. I'd come home depressed after phys-ed at school because if you weren't good enough to play rugby union, didn't aspire to be in the First IV, you were an outcast.

My grandfather, Mum's Dad, played league in the park on a Sunday. He used to tell me how he was hated at school, him and his mates. But he didn't care.

His eyes would light up when he told me of the glory days as he called them. Mates and guys they hated, but came to respect, week after week smashing each other and having a ball.

He recounted time and time again his only trip the Carlaw Park, the mecca of Rugby League stadiums as he called it. Not that he'd been anywhere else to watch a game, but he'd seen that written in the newspapers.

I'd never seen my grandad so animated as when he'd recall the game, the first test between the visiting Kangaroos and the Kiwis.

"July 1st, in '61, we beat them, we beat them well. 12-10 lad! Blood and teeth everywhere! It was fun, but I didn't enjoy being squashed too much laddie."
He'd pause as he relived the moments in his head. And with a beaming smile, would say, "But I don't care, we won!"

And from there my interest in rugby league steadily grew with the stories from my grandad. The tales were endless as the Sunday games gained momentum in the area, and the enthusiasm with which he recalled games never dwindled. He was a big man, he said he was fat as a youngster. I thought at least I would fit in.

Mum rolled her eyes when I first approached her about it.
"Grandad said it's fun Mum". My father on the other hand snorted in disapproval and said he didn't give a stuff because I useless at union anyway.

So Mum cautiously took me to the park for my first game when I was 13 yrs old. It was too far to walk, and too far for my grandad to come as he was real sick. But as I went to go out the back door he gave me a pat on the arm, "You'll do good lad", he whispered with a hint of a spark in his dull eyes.

I knew a couple of the other guys there.
A big burly man yelled my way, 'Hey kid where do you play?"
I shrugged my shoulders and muttered something about it being my first game.

Next thing I know I'm behind the goal posts and told to run as hard as I can when I get the ball and don't stop when I'm tackled. So I did.
When I was finally stopped with my legs flying skyward, I looked back to see three players from the other team crouched on the ground rubbing various parts of their bodies.

My teammates gave me pats on the back. The coach yelled out, "Just keep doing that boy and you'll be fine."
"Yep", I thought, "This is me".
The smile I had seen on my grandfather's face, spread across mine. I couldn't wait to get home to tell Grandad.

Now 4 years later, I live and breathe for Sunday afternoons down at the park. The venue hasn't changed. I have changed, still big, but not useless.
I have fun, my team has fun. The guys we play hate us, but we respect each other.

744 word count

Titanic

First Grade
Aust_jersey_040718.jpg
Titanic for Australia
(750 OWC including title and die)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
greed.jpg

Getting fair dinkum

I’m going to be honest here. Not that I’m normally not but I mean “honest” in the colloquial sense… telling it as it is.

What really cheeses me off is when somebody starts big-noting about their latest acquisition or pay rise. I cringe, do some mental callisthenics and end up comparing my unremarkable lot with the braggart’s windfall.

Second on my list of social irritants is the incessant whining of colleagues and their perception that they are over-worked and underpaid. I cower behind the water cooler whenever this subject is raised.

But now I have a new dislike… no I truly hate this one… now I can’t read my favourite paper or browse websites or listen to rugby league match commentaries without being berated with our heroic players’ pecuniary situation.

A situation that allows them to get paid to play the game they love, or at least I thought they did, while the rest of us have to get a “real” job. A situation, if you are gullible enough to believe them, where they are divorced from the rudimentary reality of knowing how much they earn. A situation where they are able to withdraw from complying with even the most basic requirements of social etiquette and who instead envelop themselves in a cocoon of celebrity-like status, all under the guise of being “talented”.

I am crushed by their pious posturing about how hard done by they are. I’m mortified by the malignant management that has placed them in their unassailably lofty positions and I’m insulted by their moronic claims of “I had no idea of any rorting, sir”.

Before you all get hot and bothered, let me state unequivocally that I recognise the sacrifices that professional sporting identities make and that I am all for a “fair days pay for a fair days work”, however, the emphasis must on “fair”.

Is it fair that they flaunt their earnings in front of the very public who are the game’s key stakeholders? Or that they so unashamedly parade their avarice? What message is that sending to the next generation of players who aspire to emulate their feats?

Many better acquainted with market trends and financial management have provided evidence that rugby league in Australia cannot do much more to improve player salaries than what it currently does without a substantially increased buy-in from the broadcasting networks or attracting new sponsors. I feel the very same players’ carry a lot of responsibility for the shortfall through their own often ordinary behaviour.

One factor that seems to have been largely ignored in the current debate is that Australian sporting “stars” have been heading overseas “forever” seeking fame and, dare I mention it, fortune. The list is extensive and includes such notable exports as Greg Norman, Jack Brabham, Craig Johnstone, Cathy Freeman and John Newcombe to name but a few.

Nobody cried “shame” or “talent drain” when they took off. Nobody called for their sports to find impossible amounts of cash and thus endanger the very pillars of their sports just to keep them. They were hailed as representatives of our great sporting tradition. They were farewelled with good wishes in the hope that they would eventually return and give something back to their roots.

And why is it acceptable for aging players to seek a golden handshake at the end of their careers by going overseas yet they are considered traitorous if they move on in their prime? “The NRL is losing all its players” the stay-at-home lobby shouts. I reckon that’s rubbish.

The ESL, S14, AFL et al can only employ a finite number of NRL players before they disenfranchise their own development base. They can have them. Do we really miss Gasnier, Williams, Gower or Hunt? We’ve got Idris, Bolton, Kingston and Dugan… that’ll do me, thanks.

Australia’s a small nation, rich by world standards but limited by market size, restricting sponsorship and club membership pools. Our players are paid, theoretically, within the budgetary constraints that the NRL clubs must comply with to just survive. If the players think they’re worth more and can get it, then they should take it… not whinge and threaten.

Corporate Australia loses key executives every day to larger pay cheques and remains robust. So is rugby league. All of my rant will have little impact on our predominantly ill-informed, naive, egocentric “stars” who rely largely on the advice of their commission-inspired managers.

Rather than chastising them, perhaps they deserve my sympathy… not.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
DragonPunk takes a great offload from Titanic to bring it home for Australia.

Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

Penalising the rest of the league world

An article in the latest issue of Rugby League Week (RLW), there was an interesting quip about the current rules from an article from Steve Mascord that set the wheels in motion for this one. “The absence of cornerposts will be just another difference in 2011 between the NRL – which uses two referees – and the rest of the league world”. The National Rugby League in its eleven year existence have poked and prodded the rules to their full extent to try and add a few thousand to the organisations coffers. While all this rapid change is taking place here in Australia, the rest of the league world from England to wide outposts of rugby league are using the foundation rules that Rugby League was built upon in 1908.

The National Rugby League has been long thought of as the leading rugby league competition in the world and this status lends the game to being the forbearer for any changes that maybe implemented into the wider rugby league community. Some of these changes have been constant with amendments being made every few years like the substitution players rule which originally was unlimited with a minor change in 1963 allowing two injured players to be substituted at halftime but in 1991 was changed to four players who could be interchanged, of which two had to have played the previous reserve grade games, this initial change was due to the risk of blood borne viruses to players who had been cut, incidentally the blood bin was still considered a free interchange. The rule would flip flop back and forth for the next ten years from being unlimited in 1996 to four replacements but with the maximum of twelve interchanges which stood for quite a few years until in 2008, there was a radical change when the interchange laws were changed to what they are today, ten maximum interchanges for four replacements.

This change has sped up the game in Australia and given team’s representing Australia against other countries an advantage, since when playing an international game, the rules default back to twelve maximum interchanges and four replacements. This makes it unfair on the other teams who have to either adhere to the change being implemented in a single competition which will help teams from the National Rugby League or the Australian/New Zealand teams. If they keep the standard rules, they give the NRL teams an advantage due to having superior fitness and are able to give forwards or anyone who is tired quicker more breaks. This isn’t the only area that the interpretations are different between competitions.

The two referee system which was brought into the National Rugby League was the biggest change to the officialdom besides the advent of the Video referee, which was originally brought through in the breakaway Super League competition. The two referees system had one referee who was the control referee and maintained the game from where the defending team should be standing, the other referee would monitor the ruck and play the ball, and these referees would interchange at the control referee’s insistence. The game after the usual grace period of getting used to the change sped up but with the extra referee on the field, some of their rulings were bizarre to say the least. Sometimes knock ons and penalties weren’t called or if they were, given to the wrong team or different interpretations used by the two officials. Overseas there is still only one official monitoring and games are more open and promote attacking football and this style clashes with the gritty NRL style, making for mis-match internationals usually with Australia winning.

These clashes of rules just make it confusing if athletes go from the English competition to the Australian National Rugby League and players who do come may be a liability if they don’t adapt. Every competition in rugby leagues needs to have the same set rules to keep a level playing field for every team. This stops the NRL distancing themselves from the rest of the league world and more overseas players will want to test themselves without fear of confusion.

(696 words)

MKEB...

Staff member
One on one strip and MKEB... ends up with the ball.
MKEB... For the Kiwis
logo_kiwi_NZ.jpg

Broken Bones, Plaster Casts and A Heap Of Tears.

“Crack”

The sound of willow on leather, followed by a cricket ball flying swiftly over a boundary rope.

The sound that precedes an egg going into a frying pan to accompany a healthy proportion of bacon.

The sound of a wooden chair that can no longer tolerate your weight due to excessive steak pies.

Or possibly even the sound of a cane leaving welts on your back whilst you are tied to a bed (if that’s your kind of thing).

In a way, all of these things can be construed as pleasurable (even the chair breaking...it just means you get to purchase the reclining seat that you originally wanted and the wife wouldn’t let you have).

But the "crack" that sends you to accident and emergency is not pleasant in the slightest of measures.

The day that I broke my first bone will forever etch itself in my memory.

Running up-field, two opposition players behind me and one ahead. The guy ahead of me was the fullback, a solid looking bugger to boot. Ordinarily this wouldn’t worry me too much, I would try and sidestep him and perhaps brace myself for the coming tackle.
And that is exactly what I did. I stepped left, my legs were taken from under me and a large “crack” sound was audible for all to hear. The tackler heard it, the ref heard and I most certainly heard it.

I got up to play the ball and immediately fell back down, writhing in agony, clutching my ankle and screaming like a girl...actually that was unkind to girls. I will just say “wailing like a banshee” and be done with, I am sure you get the drift...

Off to hospital I went.

The nervous anticipation at accident and emergency was prolonged due to the abundance of other people"s sporting injuries.

Two hours of sitting in the waiting room seemed to be an eternity...a painful eternity; where my mother not wanting to hear me swear, gave me a pen and paper and said “write it down”.

Paper and pen really did not seem enough for some reason.

Two hours later, the resulting x-ray confirmed to the doctor what I had already known....a broken ankle.

When I was young, I used to envy the other boys that had casts on their arms and legs; I wished that I could break a bone so that I could have a cast and wear it like a badge of honour.
The Doctor said to me, “well, it’s a cast and crutches for you young man”. (It seemed to me that he said that in a condescending way. But I guess, if this is the sixth fracture he had seen that morning, then he might be well entitled to).

On being fitted with my cast; any envy of my peers was firmly dismissed.

Geez, I had no idea of the pain I would have to endure to merit one; and I sure didn’t want to have to wear another one as long as I lived.

Next year...

That tell-tale “crack” followed another tackle. This time I was the tackler and not the tacklee. I went into a tackle with my head in the right place, but the resulting impact left me nursing my left shoulder.

Somebody on the sideline made an impromptu sling out of an old towel and a washing peg; then it was back off to accident and emergency.

Another two hour wait in what I considered to be abject pain awaited me.
A pen and paper would not suffice this time, I am left handed and it was my left shoulder that was bung. However mum returning from the waiting room toilets with a cake of soap and paper cup of water provided all the dis-incentive that I needed for the swearing that was likely to occur.

I will never forget the cruel and unusual torture meted out to me by the attending doctor. Nor can I fathom why the evil sod gave me a paint bucket of water to hold in that arm to stand in front of the x-ray machine. It might of been considered an easy way to ascertain the extent of my fracture; but in my mind it came across as the first ever person to wear my first ever vindictive act.

And to make things worse I didn’t even get a plaster cast to show for it.
746 words between the lines.

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
logo_kiwi_NZ.jpg

Having been blackmailed out of retirement, Jesbass flies in on a two way ticket with one night's accommodation for this special occasion, representing the Kiwis...

Helping Leaguies To Help Themselves (745 words including title)

There are some basic rugby league rules that every young aspiring talent gets taught at their first training session. One, for example, is that unless you’re of Maltese descent, don’t try to catch the ball with your head. Another states that if you can’t resist putting your fingers in holes that don’t belong to you, you should switch to a sport that will keep those greedy digits wrapped up.

But some other aspects of rugby league education are
being provided by the most unlikely of sources.

The self-help book industry is enjoying a resurgence in recent times with their new range of sports-related titles. The literary genre was clearly struggling for both sales and ideas when "How To Write Self-Help Books" was released, followed shortly thereafter by "Dummies Books For Dummies".

But the international self-improvement literary support group appears to have been saved by readers who decided to take a punt on rugby league themed books. With "How To Buy Premierships" and "Salary Cap Rorting 101" selling out in Victoria despite heavily inflated prices which made them simply unaffordable elsewhere, other self-help guides for wannabe league players and administrators are rapidly hitting the shelves.

The latest of these – “Football Comebacks For Dummy (Halves)” – is expected to be similarly popular in and around Melbourne, but the book covers more than resurrecting a tarred club’s reputation.

In the following excerpt, the book attempts to cover the comeback basics:

Starting Your Comeback

Before you even make top grade, you should be planning your comeback. Which type of comeback will it be? There are numerous versions, including match comebacks, injury comebacks, and season comebacks. It’s important to make distinctions between each one so that you don't waste valuable time in the U8s training for the wrong one.

Match Comebacks
If it a come from behind victory you're after, you’ll need your team’s support. This will require you to practice those motivational speeches in
front of the mirror. When in doubt, quote Al Pacino.

Injury Comebacks
Playing a sport as physically demanding as rugby league will mean taking plenty of knocks. Make sure you take a few painkillers before the game, and keep in mind that the key to a popular return from injury is to wave to the fans to let them know that you're okay. This simple act will help to build a rapport with the fans. If you can't wave with your arm, try waving with your leg instead.

Season Comebacks
The key to a season comeback is to start the year really poorly. Try throwing a few matches here and there. Be susceptible to bribes. Then, when all seems lost, win every match. Simple, really. For added effect, try quoting Al Pacino during each match for that extra special come from behind season victory.
The core of the book, however, centres around the notion of 'career comebacks' and how best to engineer a successful return to the top flight.

Mastering The Career Comeback

Career comebacks are always the hardest type of comeback on offer. The reason for this is that you’ve actually got to be good enough in the first place to warrant a return from retirement.

However, numerous successful players have returned to playing or to the top level in years gone by, but it's essential to get the basics right to ensure success.

There are some basic keys to making the perfect comeback:

Do Something Memorable
Before you first leave the game, make sure people will remember you when you decide to return. This can be as simple as performing a controversial act, or as difficult as actually being a great player.

Be Even More Memorable
Just to be safe, make sure you do something else for others to remember you by, but be careful not to cause too many fans to dislike you.

Admit Nothing
Allow media speculation to build around your possible return. Let the occasional media leak occur, but never make any comment.

Short And Sweet
Make your return a short one. Don't overstay your welcome and let the fans see that the game has caught up with you. This is essential for the final step.

Retire And Return
As long as you remain memorable and only come back to the game for very short periods, there's nothing to prevent you from multiple future comebacks.
People in all league corners - including those in Melbourne - will no doubt be reading this book with great interest.

All sources embedded in links in the article.

Thanks for the run, lads!

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Looks like full time and it looks like 5v5 to me.

Great work from the Roos responding to the call, and to our kindred spirits across the ditch.

A tremendous match. :clap:

Titanic

First Grade
Let me be the first to say ... C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S Willow on your century ... a feat unlikely to be equalled although they do say the second hundred is easier.

colorfwky666.gif
bang.gif
hua666.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks teach.

It has been a great ride.

I found that I became a 'not terrible' writer thanks to the forum sevens, and recommend it to penfolk everywhere.

Last edited:

MKEB...

Staff member
Congrats Willow...

That was a good match, werent it now. Just clearing up my head wound so I can put my sunglasses on.

Thanks teach.

It has been a great ride.

I found that I became a 'not terrible' writer thanks to the forum sevens, and recommend it to penfolk everywhere.

I think I'm the same.
Considering it was only two years ago I failed English HSC.