What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 ANZAC TEST. Australia v New Zealand

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think I'm the same.
Considering it was only two years ago I failed English HSC.
lol. That rings a bell.

In High School I couldn't put two words together. Lousy student. Only found out after leaving school that I needed to understand English.

Funny thing is that I learnt more about English when I tried to learn some foreign languages.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crikey, am I the only one with some form of intellect here hahaha.

I scored in the 80's in the HSC for English (3 Unit) which is advanced.

Studying Shakespeare is enough to confuse the sh*t out of you as to how english should be spoken.

Titanic

First Grade
Lol Unit .:shock:. you got advanced? :D

I reckon the focus on Shakespeare in my day was because they had nothing else to teach. What language skills, other than general communication, did most people need before the internet?

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
my thoughts exactly. And i cannot believe people actually spoke like that.

who here or in the past ever used words in everyday language such as 'hark', 'cuckold' and 'art' instead of the word are.

if you ask me, shakespeare was an idiot.

Titanic

First Grade
a verbose idiot ... although the fact that in modern idiom you can place the letter "f" in front of each of "hark", "cuckold" and "art" shows that language roots are in fact "rooted".

antonius

Coach
Australia

Non Terminator

The Slickers And The Bumpkins
738 Words
The writer takes a look at the annual City Country match. He tells us how he views the game, and what it means to him. He makes his points on the importance of the fixture, and attempts to dispel the “it means nothing” theory that he perceives as the generally held perception of this game. Good effort.
Score 85

Azkatro

"Scoring" a penalty try
747 Words
Penalty tries, should they be awarded to the player or the team? The writer asks this question, and puts forward his argument that it should be a team try. I must admit I wasn’t aware that they used to be awarded to the team. It is an interesting question. I’m not sure if I agree with the author or not, but should it be changed and the record books altered I bet there would be a lot of debate.
Score 86

Willow

George is alive!
740 Words
A piece that details an old mans recollections of the game. I hadn’t read the piece mentioned at the start so I searched it out and had a read. I imagine George could tell quite a few stories of events in the game during his lifetime. It’s good to know he is still alive and kicking.
Score 86

Titanic

Getting fair dinkum
749 Words
The writer expresses his views on player payments. He delves into the morals of some of the players and their management as far as those payments go. He also looks at who has left to go overseas, or switch codes, and asks the question “Do we really miss them?” The comparison of the likes of Craig Johnston, Jack Brabham and so on is thought provoking I think.
Score 87

DragonPunk

Penalising the rest of the league world
696 Words
Changing or modifying the rules of the game. The writer looks at some of the rule changes that have been made, how they affected the game, and asks why they are not uniform throughout the game.
I found the piece a little cluttered, the two massive sentences in the second paragraph, and some grammatical errors didn’t help this.
Score 82

New Zealand

Madunit

A History of Deceit
749 Words
This piece gives us a brief outline of some of the not so sporting events in the game over the years finishing with this years Storm salary cap scandal. Interesting to recall some of those events. Solid piece.
Score 85

byrne_rovelli_fan82

Made for the wet
745 Words
Wet weather footy. The writer explains why he thinks league is a winter game, and why he prefers to watch games played in the rain. He details a couple of games that he thinks were improved by the inclement weather.
The piece was spoilt by a few spelling errors and some poor grammar. Proof reading would’ve improved the score.
Score 83

mrs mannering

Down at the park.
744 Words
Nice story of how the writer came to play the game in a country that predominantly follows union. One minor grammatical error that wasn’t penalised.
Score 85

MKEB...

Broken Bones, Plaster Casts and A Heap Of Tears.
747 Words
The writer recalls the events around him breaking some limbs whilst playing the game. Well written.
Score 84

Jesbass

Helping Leaguies To Help Themselves
749 Words
A sometimes amusing look at comebacks and how to make them. The writer offers some advice and points you to some self help books to assist you in making comebacks of various forms.
One small point that didn’t actually affect your score, be careful where you put your word count, you had it after the title of your piece, so it is actually in the body of the article thus the 749 words instead of 745.
Score 87

Result Australia 426 defeated New Zealand 424

POTM Titanic, Jesbass.

Some bunched marks there indicate how close the game was. A bit of proof reading would have improved a couple of the scores. Nice diverse selection of topics.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
well done Willow and the rest of the Kangaroo's. nothing in it, as is the norm nowadays. great game!

Congrats also to Titanic and God for their POTM articles, magnificent work gents!

Bad luck Kiwi's, but I gotta say, mighty magnificent effort, you all deserve a pay rise.

Simply send an email to Willow, he'll organise the match payments. ;-)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
oh, and most importantly, thank you antonuis for the speedy marking.

I didn't forget, i just figured you deserved a post all for yourself.

top work mate!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks antonius for the super quick turnaround.

Well played fellow Roos. :clap: And handshakes all round to the Kiwis for an excellent show.

Congrats POTMs Titanic and Jesbass. :thumn

AliN

Live Update Team
Well done Aussies! Close game..and great reading.

Nice work Jess and Titanic.

ozbash

Referee
onya's Aussies, some awesome reads.

Willow, bro, you should be publishing your George stories.

Commiserations Kiwis, fantastic effort at short notice.
Special thanks to Unit for organising everything, he was literally thrown in the deep end.

Thanks Antonius, F7's would be a lot poorer without refs of your caliber..

Titanic

First Grade
A masterly piece by the maestro as he carves out his century. An award-winning return from one of the greats. Some erudite after match banter and a close finish adjudicated with a stern but fair red pen... Test matches, who said they were dead?

Great to be a part of it 'Roos. "Sweet are the uses of adversity". (As You Like It - Act 2)
Always a pleasure Kiwis. "What a piece of work is a man". (Hamlet - Act 2)
Antonius, in the words of the great bard: "If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well. It were done quickly". (Macbeth - Act 1)

with apologies to Sir Francis Bacon.

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
Wow, what a match! It went right down to the wire, and I'm honoured to share the POTM award with my Chinese opponent.

Well done to the Kangaroos! :clap:

Heads up, Kiwis - there's always the Four Nations! ;-)

Thanks for the quick and fair marking, antonius. Because I didn't quite help us to a victory, I may be forced to go back to my self-help book. Retire and (maybe) return, I think it was... :D

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't you worry Jesbass, when the next Kiwi's match comes around I'll pester you and send you umpteen strippers to try and convince you to play again.

Latest posts