What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 World Cup Draw

lolesi

First Grade
It is a not a bad group! Same great games for sure. One of our biggest weapons though is our physical nature.. that will be lost against all 3 of the teams we are drawn against. Serbia and Ghana are both big and solid teams and Germany are prob the toughest European team going around (physically that is).

I can not wait!

woodgers

Bench
Really tough group for sure.

I'd be a hell of a lot more confident if we were going there to take it to other teams in the group, instead the boss will have us going for 3 nil all draws and maybe hope to nick a goal somewhere to scrape through. Look at the amount of goals our opponents have scored in qualifying. Regardless of the opposition they had, all those teams can score for fun. If we go there and try defend it out like we have done consistently under Verbeek, we'll get mauled.

Based on Socceroo performances over the past year or so, I predict we'll be home within a fortnight with 1 point. Hurts to say it but that is what I think.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
There is no way we will score a goal against Germany - their strength is defending in the air. All we have in attack is long balls to Kennedy, they will eat those up for breakfast. Best we can hope for is 0-0. Our defence isn't good enough to keep a team like that scoreless, IMO.

We must beat Ghana if we are to progress. There is no way we are a better side than Ghana, though they are definitely beatable. Remember that they are playing in Africa, so this will be an advantage for them. They have it all over us in midfield with Essien, Muntari, Appiah and Asamoah, but they are a bit thin up front. Gyan is OK, but he's a bit hit and miss in front of goals.

Serbia will be interesting. They have been great in qualifying, but generally don't do well in tournaments. They have an excellent side on paper though, and some good players in there Zigic will be handful up front, though I think our defensive mindset may force them to alter their natural game - they like to keep possession and are very technical.

It's a very tough group and we will do extremely well to qualify.

There is no way we will score a goal against Germany - their strength is defending in the air. All we have in attack is long balls to Kennedy, they will eat those up for breakfast. Best we can hope for is 0-0. Our defence isn't good enough to keep a team like that scoreless, IMO.

We must beat Ghana if we are to progress. There is no way we are a better side than Ghana, though they are definitely beatable. Remember that they are playing in Africa, so this will be an advantage for them. They have it all over us in midfield with Essien, Muntari, Appiah and Asamoah, but they are a bit thin up front. Gyan is OK, but he's a bit hit and miss in front of goals.

Serbia will be interesting. They have been great in qualifying, but generally don't do well in tournaments. They have an excellent side on paper though, and some good players in there Zigic will be handful up front, though I think our defensive mindset may force them to alter their natural game - they like to keep possession and are very technical.

it was in the air, we now have emerton back and he can score
cahil,kewell also dont need the air to score
germany are horrible in defense imo we will score a few goals against them
schwazzer is a awesome keeper,i think we can pull of a 1-0.2-1 upset

ghana are different they are fast and very good,but its still a 50-50 game
winning this group is possible and if we do than i can see us going further than last year esp since we will probley take on usa in the 2nd round

hybrid_tiger

Coach
it was in the air, we now have emerton back and he can score
cahil,kewell also dont need the air to score
germany are horrible in defense imo we will score a few goals against them
schwazzer is a awesome keeper,i think we can pull of a 1-0.2-1 upset

ghana are different they are fast and very good,but its still a 50-50 game
winning this group is possible and if we do than i can see us going further than last year esp since we will probley take on usa in the 2nd round

:lol:

90% of Cahill's goals are from headers. The only time we get the ball anywhere near the box is in the air when its lumped up to Kennedy, and Cahill's positioning and instinct is great in and around the box.

If Germany are horrible in defence, then what is our defence like? We get sliced open by Oman FFS.

Tommy Smith

Referee
No offense but perhaps a few of you have slightly self-inflated opinions of yourselves by suggesting that youre on a level footing or better than Ghana and Serbia - two of the darkhorses to go well in the tournament.

WHilst England does have an easy group it looks like we're in for a very tough Rnd of 16 clash against either of Germany, Ghana or Serbia.

I won't rule Australia out of course, but the draw really couldn't have been much harder. Serbia are a fantastic side and were much better than France in qualifying hence why they cruised to top spot. As an England fan Id rather have had France or Portugal in my our group.

And Ghana were Africas bestnation in the last Cup and led by Essien have the best chance alongside the Ivory Coast to go far in this tournament.

Like i said Australia are still capable of going through but have to be outsiders IMO. Ghana, Germany and Serbia are different propsects to Bahrain, Qatar and Uzbekistan.

Last edited:

woodgers

Bench
No offense but perhaps a few of you have slightly self-inflated opinions of yourselves by suggesting that youre on a level footing or better than Ghana and Serbia - two of the darkhorses to go well in the tournament.

WHilst England does have an easy group it looks like we're in for a very tough Rnd of 16 clash against either of Germany, Ghana or Serbia.

I won't rule Australia out of course, but the draw really couldn't have been much harder. Serbia are a fantastic side and were much better than France in qualifying hence why they cruised to top spot. As an England fan Id rather have had France or Portugal in my our group.

And Ghana were Africas bestnation in the last Cup and led by Essien have the best chance alongside the Ivory Coast to go far in this tournament.

Like i said Australia are still capable of going through but have to be outsiders IMO. Ghana, Germany and Serbia are different propsects to Bahrain, Qatar and Uzbekistan.

Yep, spot on.

I think also that people think Australia are still playing like that did at the last World Cup. In my eyes that certainly is not the case, not even close. I thought our football would improve with more competitive games in Asia...

Misanthrope

Staff member
I thought our football would improve with more competitive games in Asia...

Being in Asia has had nothing to do with the direction our football has taken. That's all been Verbleak's doing.

woodgers

Bench
Being in Asia has had nothing to do with the direction our football has taken. That's all been Verbleak's doing.

True, but I figured even with a rubbish coach we'd still be better for so many more competitive and meaningful games than 180 minutes vs 5th best South American side.

FFA got Verbeek because they thought he knew Asian football and how to get us to South Africa 2010. I curse that decision every day. Surely the fact that we made round of 16 at last WC meant that we should have been looking how to better that, not how to be within the top 5 sides in probably the weakest confederation and go make up the numbers? So shortsighted...but then again I expect nothing less from the FFA.

Bumble

First Grade

You are massively overrating Ghana there...they're not great apart from central midfield.

Remember we have a very good record against them.

Cletus

First Grade

You might be right but we've won 4 and drawn twice against Ghana. We've never lost to them. So if we can beat them and get a draw out of the other two we might get through. Still, it would be good if we had a striker:(.

Misanthrope

Staff member
FFA got Verbeek because they thought he knew Asian football and how to get us to South Africa 2010. I curse that decision every day. Surely the fact that we made round of 16 at last WC meant that we should have been looking how to better that, not how to be within the top 5 sides in probably the weakest confederation and go make up the numbers? So shortsighted...but then again I expect nothing less from the FFA.

Firstly, there is no way AFC is a weaker confederation than CONCACAF. Australia would never miss a World Cup in a confederation that sees the likes of Costa Rica, Honduras, and Trinidad & Tobago as World Cup attendees.

Verbeek does know Asian football, it has to be said. He got us there undefeated in our final round of qualifiers. Sure, it wasn't pretty - but he's just doing what he was hired to do. Personally, and I hope it pans out this way, if we don't make the Round of 16 - we'll let him go and gun for somebody with some real pedigree.

woodgers

Bench
Firstly, there is no way AFC is a weaker confederation than CONCACAF. Australia would never miss a World Cup in a confederation that sees the likes of Costa Rica, Honduras, and Trinidad & Tobago as World Cup attendees.

Verbeek does know Asian football, it has to be said. He got us there undefeated in our final round of qualifiers. Sure, it wasn't pretty - but he's just doing what he was hired to do. Personally, and I hope it pans out this way, if we don't make the Round of 16 - we'll let him go and gun for somebody with some real pedigree.

Sorry then... maybe 2nd weakest confederation. I think you are forgetting the absolute bunnys in Asia though.

Basically your 2nd paragraph is agreeing with me. Verbeek has done his job to navigate through Asia, but now we are going to the WC where most people who have watched us tuck away nil all's vs rubbish like China and Qatar (who I personally think Costa Rica, Honduras etc would walk over) know we are going to be probably get mauled and go home winless. From about the 2nd or 3rd game I watched under Verbeek I was waiting for this WC too so we can p!ss him off, however aren't you seriously annoyed that this is 4 years wasted after we came on in 2005/2006? Every time me and my diehard Socceroo pals get together to watch the games, it always ends up in just a bitchfest about how with virtually the same squad Hiddink had 4 years ago, we've gone backwards out of sight and after this World Cup we rebuild....for the 50 thousandth time. Don't get me wrong, i'm realistic, I don't expect Australia to be competing for the trophy. However I was hoping we'd try push for Quarters this time after the round of 16 heartbreak in Germany.

Blaze

Juniors
From a NZ perspective the draw could have been a lot harsher to us. Still odds on to lose all 3 matches, but there is a bit of hope that we could grab a point from either Slovakia or Paraguay.

Genuinely disappointed to see Australia get such a tough draw. Should be a fun group though.

DB

First Grade
Sorry then... maybe 2nd weakest confederation. I think you are forgetting the absolute bunnys in Asia though.

B

Have you forgotten about Oceania???

I would say in order.

1. Europe
2. South America
3. Africa
4. Asia
5. Concacaf
6. Oceania

woodgers

Bench
I stand corrected DB, apologies.

I still don't think there is much in Asia vs Concacaf. The biggest gap would probably be between the top 2 and the rest.

Tommy Smith

Referee
You might be right but we've won 4 and drawn twice against Ghana. We've never lost to them. So if we can beat them and get a draw out of the other two we might get through. Still, it would be good if we had a striker:(.
True, but i think those past results have zero influence on next years finals. It's a totally different ball game.

Like i said, i definately won't rule Australia out, but given the African/South American pot i think only the Ivory Coast and perhaps Chile would have been worse for Australia.

And like i said at this stage i rate Serbia at the very least the equal of the circus that is France and the overhyped Portuguese.

shiznit

Coach
France are $15 at the TAB here... thats bloody tempting... even with the rubbish around them... and the rubbish coaching them... they have the individuals to win this easily IMO

Portugal at $22.... if Ronaldo fires... they can beat anyone...

Misanthrope

Staff member
I still don't think there is much in Asia vs Concacaf. The biggest gap would probably be between the top 2 and the rest.

I'd say full strength South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, and Saudi Arabia would slot in at the level of the US and perhaps behind a firing Mexico, but above the rest of the rabble.