What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Bundy Cup

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Tell me, when it comes to the BRC, does the NSWRL actively go out and try and draw teams toward the comp or do they sit back and wait until someone approaches them to play?

I think they just sit back and wait until someone approaches them to play. Pretty sad. They should have 5-year plans for this comp and expand it to locations they want to have teams represented in the 3rd tier.

mono_mal

Juniors
The news re. Auburn was from the local Auburn newspaper, not too sure of the name sorry.

Regarding new clubs, the NSWRL calls for expressions of interest though I'm not too sure how proactive they are in identifying and approaching clubs who could potentially participate in the Bundy Red Cup.

Beyond Auburn there are numerous clubs currently playing in local A-Grade competitions who could easily make the step up to BRC. The top Penrith and Manly clubs are arguably the equal of BRC clubs whilst many claim the Newcastle and Illawarra comps are superior. These clubs appear reluctant to participate in the comp though, largely due to the current points system.

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
The news re. Auburn was from the local Auburn newspaper, not too sure of the name sorry.

Regarding new clubs, the NSWRL calls for expressions of interest though I'm not too sure how proactive they are in identifying and approaching clubs who could potentially participate in the Bundy Red Cup.

Beyond Auburn there are numerous clubs currently playing in local A-Grade competitions who could easily make the step up to BRC. The top Penrith and Manly clubs are arguably the equal of BRC clubs whilst many claim the Newcastle and Illawarra comps are superior. These clubs appear reluctant to participate in the comp though, largely due to the current points system.
I doubt the top Penrith A Grade teams would be equal to BRC clubs , the standard has dropped considerably of the last few years mainly due to the points system and drain of players to other BRC clubs.Brothers won a dull Grand Final with 6 players from their BRC squad of last year but they would need to recruit to be able to compete.

So where could new clubs come from? I hear the Manly comp is very strong, though a few clubs there have featured previously in the BRC if I remember right. Wests Wollongong + Shellharbour have always been a strong clubs but struggled with money, and that seems to be replicated with a few of the bigger clubs on the Central Coast.

Also with Easts + Canterbury using the BRC to field U20's + Reserve Graders who don't make the cut, any rumours floating around of other NRL clubs looking to do the same? In all honestly, it seemed to make the competition go backwards though.

The Major

Bench
I read today that Auburn Warriors have expressed interest in entering the Bundy Red Cup next year after winning the Sydney Combined A-Grade competition for the second successive season.
Auburn are considering playing out of Lidcombe Oval and have held talks with Auburn council.

Personally I think this is good news. The immediate area is traditionally a strong rugby league area and I think Auburn will potentially challenge the BRC heavyweights and easily compete with the weaker clubs. Apparently they were undefeated this season and they have also fielded quality players in the past such as Matt Utai, Andrew Emelio and a bunch of others whilst participating in the Parra comp years ago.

How many chances does this grub side need? Theyve been kicked out of the Parra comp, and banished for so many indiscretions its unbelievable. The all in brawl they started at Ringrose Oval vs 7 Hills a few years ago when they knew they were beat in the semi was unbelievable. One 7 hills player got booted in the head while on the ground, another roid munching animal who got sent off walked up the grandstand and literally threw a supporter over the side before going on and bashing his 14 year old son who went to his defence. I saw the whole thing with my own eyes. The referee called the game off as a result and the side was subsequently kicked out. I felt sorry for Peter Tunks who was the coach at the time. Dont get me wrong, there are some quality players in the side and absolute champion blokes, but there was that element of real serious nut jobs who ruined it for everyone. For those involved with the club i seriously hope theyve cleaned up their act and not bring our great game into disripute when or if they get granted access into the higher tiered competitions. Still has me boggled how they got away with blokes like Utai and Emilio playing A-Grade. Easier to look like superstars i suppose. Piss weak, but makes sense for them.

Roland

Juniors
The Auburn Warriors team has had a lot of turnover over the years - I dont think there are any players left from the old days - 3 from that side have been part of the Mounties Bundy setup for the last 3 years.

Emelio and Junior Langi will soak up a lot of points but they should be able to recruit a few.

Blacktown Workers is a strange situation, they hardly won a game in the Penrith comp and had a F/A of negative 600. The Bulldogs will have someone to beat!

There must be another team cause the count is already at 11.

MountainMan

Juniors
1)i dont understand why St Marys dont re-enter,they have the club,the stadium,the money and the players to pull.
2) theres 3 clubs from the parra comp,2 from penrith(except this year),i dont get why a couple from each district dont join,eg a belrose(manly),a wests newcastle(knights) shellharbour(dragons) concord burwood(tiger),wyong kangeroos(central coast) etc etc clubs with a leagues club and abit of cash.

Roland

Juniors
News on the Cabra website shows that the Club has moved quickly to defend its first title by recruiting several new players:

Holo Tonga and Brett Beddy (ex Sydney Bulls)
Blake Davies (Kingsgrove Colts)

and returning players:

Ben Ellis, Casey Ellis and Shay Ellis (Avalon)
Sam Aiga (Wenty)

Chris Yates will be coach and Pat Weisner will be assistant coach and Donny Thompson will be captain.

footy watch

Juniors
I think you will find that chris yates has added nathan carr as his assistant. Im hearing pat weisner will not continue as assistant.

innsaneink

Referee
1)i dont understand why St Marys dont re-enter,they have the club,the stadium,the money and the players to pull.
2) theres 3 clubs from the parra comp,2 from penrith(except this year),i dont get why a couple from each district dont join,eg a belrose(manly),a wests newcastle(knights) shellharbour(dragons) concord burwood(tiger),wyong kangeroos(central coast) etc etc clubs with a leagues club and abit of cash.

Look for a JV North Ryde Hawks/ Concord Burwood team playing under a new club entity in next years BC

Ram Man

Juniors

Dont know where you are getting your information from but Belrose does not have a Leagues club and relied heavily on sponsorship dollars to get into JBC/BRC.

I heard about the Ryde BRC venture and also heard that it will be in 2013 not 2012

mono_mal

Juniors
Thanks for the new guys.

Brings on nostalgia to see Yates and Carr together coaching Cabra. They were the Club and Team Captain at Guildford in the Owls last year in the Jim Beam Cup in 2003.

There's been numerous mentions on here regarding 11 teams in the comp for next year. This was also confirmed on the Barefoot Footy show where a NSWRL representative was interviewed at the BRC GF.

Possible 2012 Format: Cabra, Mounties, The Entrance, Windsor, Wenty, St Johns, Bankstown, Kingsgrove, Auburn, Blacktown, Ryde-Concord.

I noticed Asquith dominated the Manly comp in 2011, making the final in A-Grade, A-Reserves and C-Grade. Could they possibly return?

franklin2323

Immortal
Blacktown haven't paid their players in the past. That will change this year. Like Windsor they will use Penrith's NYC & Ball players not required for the team & buy a few hardened veteran's so they should hold their own.

Footy Tragic

Juniors
Thanks for the new guys.

Brings on nostalgia to see Yates and Carr together coaching Cabra. They were the Club and Team Captain at Guildford in the Owls last year in the Jim Beam Cup in 2003.

There's been numerous mentions on here regarding 11 teams in the comp for next year. This was also confirmed on the Barefoot Footy show where a NSWRL representative was interviewed at the BRC GF.

Possible 2012 Format: Cabra, Mounties, The Entrance, Windsor, Wenty, St Johns, Bankstown, Kingsgrove, Auburn, Blacktown, Ryde-Concord.

I noticed Asquith dominated the Manly comp in 2011, making the final in A-Grade, A-Reserves and C-Grade. Could they possibly return?
Strange to see Cabra punt their coach after winning the comp. They don't seem to keep them to long.

Roland

Juniors
Blacktown haven't paid their players in the past. That will change this year. Like Windsor they will use Penrith's NYC & Ball players not required for the team & buy a few hardened veteran's so they should hold their own.

If they intend to put a team of boys in a senior competition they will get the same treatment that the Bulldogs received this year and that was pretty ugly.

Roland

Juniors
Thanks for the new guys.

Yeah Yates and Carr also played together at Woy Woy, Cabra and La Perouse.

I reckon Cliff Lyon's Narraweena side would be a better target than Asquith. They scored 33 unanswered points in the 2nd half of the Grand Final after they belted Belrose the week before.

Latest posts