What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Lineup

Hodgo is sh*t. Why pay that niff nuff $250K+ per season when Graham is going for almost half that and is clearly the better talent

rupeni_00

Juniors
Good to see most people still see Roberts as our first choice 5/8. I didn't catch the game against the cowboys but I did hear Fitler talking him up on the footy show. I'd probably feel that he would be wasted in the centres especially with the kicking game that he has to offer and he has built a good combination with Morris.

Barba at fullback would be a good move, he'd make a good attacking fullback.

jimmythehand

Juniors
looks like f pritchard will have to fit in somewhere?

Roberts at 5/8? I think i'll scream if i see him in the run on side at all next year

Bulldog Force

Referee
Ok well word is that BEASTWOOD is pretty much a done deal for us. My 2011 squad, pending his signature, looks like this (now lol):

1. Ben BARBA
  2. Steve TURNER
  3. Jamal IDRIS
  4. Josh MORRIS
  5. Bryson GOODWIN
  6. Ben ROBERTS
  7. Trent HODKINSON
  8. Aiden TOLMAN
  9. Michael ENNIS
  10. Ryan TANDY
  11. Greg EASTWOOD
  12. Andrew RYAN (c)
  13. David STAGG
INTERCHANGE:

1. Kris KEATING
  2. Frank PRITCHARD
  3. Michael HODGSON
  4. Micky PAEA/Yileen GORDON

Would like this instead.

1. Ben BARBA
  2. Steve TURNER
  3. Ben Roberts (Would kill it here. If not here then on bench) Moore will probably have Idris here instead.
  4. Josh MORRIS
  5. Bryson GOODWIN
  6. KRIS KEATING
  7. Trent HODKINSON
  8. Aiden TOLMAN
  9. Michael ENNIS
  10. Ryan TANDY
  11. FRANK PRITCHARD (usually starts with Penrith)
  12. Andrew RYAN (c)
  13. David STAGG
INTERCHANGE:

1. GREG EASTWOOD (always came off bench for us before - 2nd row / prop)
  2. JAMAAL IDRIS (Can cover centres, but 2nd row preferred interchange spot)
  3. MICKEY PAEA (cover prop)
  4. JOEL ROMELO (utility - hard tackler - much better option than Haletau

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
WHAT IS WITH THE ROBERTS AT CENTRE OBSESSION?

He's a f**king five-eighth!

Yes, he is a five eighth, but he would run rings around Idris in centres. So who does Keating come on for? (Roberts then)
They need some pace in the back which they have in Barba, Morris only. Roberts has good footwork and would benefit from the extra room, just like Barba.
Keating / Hodgkinson combo factor also.

Anyways just my idea.

MatthewA

Juniors
My 2011 team, now with the signings of Wright and Eastwood:

01. Ben Barba
02. Steve Turner
03. Jonathan Wright
04. Josh Morris
05. Bryson Goodwin
06. Ben Roberts
07. Trent Hodkinson
08. Andrew Ryan
09. Michael Ennis
10. Ryan Tandy
11. Greg Eastwood
12. Frank Pritchard
13. David Stagg
- Interchange
14. Kris Keating
15. Mickey Paea
16. Aiden Tolman
17. Jamal Idris
-- (rest of the squad in alphabetical order)
19. Chris Armit
20. Tim Browne
21. Jake Foster
22. Michael Hodgson
23. Grant Millington
24. Brad Morrin
25. Corey Payne
26. Danie Rauicava
27. Joel Romelo
28. Junior Tia-Kilifi
29. Gary Warburton

The starting side is brilliant, especially the forward pack. And the impact off the bench is huge. Keating to cover injuries and play a roaming running playmaker role off the bench with Idris, Paea and Tolman supplying lots of impact in the back and front row. Throw into the fact that those bench players can cover all but 1 position in the entire team (not one of them can play fullback, but the other positions can be filled) and it's a deadly mix.

I think Ryan HAS to move to prop. He was great at prop this year when he was moved in. And a fast and skilful front rower is better than a slow and average back rower.

Back to the bench, as I mentioned only 1 position wouldn't be able to be covered. Keating can cover halfback, 5/8, hooker and back row. Paea and Tolman can both cover the back and front rows whilst Idris can cover wing, centre and back row.

No doubt we will have a top class side next year. But I can't help but feel for guys who are going to miss out when we're at full strength. Guys like Browne, Foster, Reynolds, Tia-Kilifi etc who would all probably get a shot in most other NRL sides whether on the bench or starting.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
No way I'd have Wright as starting centre, but otherwise looks good.

Wright is there for depth atm IMO.

MatthewA

Juniors
I disagree because he's actually one of the best young backs we could have picked up. He's been more than great for Parra when he's filled in but never been given a chance in the top grade for long enough. If we can give him a start, allowing Idris to be in the forwards where he belongs, I truly believe he'll turn out to be the bargain-buy-of-the-year without a doubt.

In the end for me it comes down to either:
1) Idris in the centres, Millington/Browne/Armit/Another forward to the bench
or
2) Wright to the centres, Idris to the bench

I'd take option 2 every day of the week.

Bulldog Force

Referee

:lol:

Dude I just think people want to see his 06 form as a centre so we can use Idris in the second row. IMO however, we got too many forwards as it is and need our quality backs in the backline!

Timmah

Staff member
His 06 form as a centre?

WTF when did he play centres in 06?

Edit: two finals games, one which we lost.

Not exactly awe inspiring, and we're talking four years ago. He's developed as a five-eighth in leaps and bounds since then.

Last edited:

Bulldog Force

Referee
No I agree, but he got his foot in the door through that centre position. The finals game which we lost had him starting as a centre then he moved to five-eighth when Holdsworth got injured.

I agree with you though Tim, he's a five-eighth and not a centre. He played a few good games there yes, but that was only to give him some game time with the first grade team.

ByRd

First Grade
1. Barba
2. Turner
3. Morris
4. Idris
5. Goodwin
6. Roberts
7. Hodkinson
8. Tolman
9. Ennis
10. Tandy
11. Pritchard
12. Ryan
13. Stagg

14. Keating
15. Eastwood (if we get him)
16. Paea
17. Armit

Timmah

Staff member
Ideal, although I'm tempted to say put Ryan in the front-row and bring Eastwood on to start, using Tolman or Tandy as an impact front-row interchange 20-30minutes in.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'm just curious. I know that heaps of people want Bobcat in the front row. Has he even played there though? I remember back in his Parra days he played a few games at lock so I know he's capable there (although we've got Stagg to cover that role) but do you guys think Bobcat would really do well as a prop? I think keeping him in the second row really suits his playing ability and his role in the team. Just my 2 cents.

Timmah

Staff member
I just think we've got an over-supply of second-rowers and he'd be better utilised up-front with his hard running.

lsta5838

Juniors
Just a thought from a Panther's fan. I know Morris played fullback at the Dragons, and this could be a dangerous spine (with Keating moving to hooker in a few years). But I know Barba's preferance is fullback.

1. Morris
2. Turner
3. Wright
4. Idris
5. Goodwin
6. Barba
7. Hodgkinson
8. Ryan
9. Ennis
10. Tolman
11. Eastwood
12. Pritchard