What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Bundy Cup

Roland

Juniors
One question that's been bugging me, is where do St Johns get all their cash? I mean that don't have a big club behind them like the traditional JBC/BRC clubs, Cabra, Wenty, Windsor etc but they must be doing something right, I mean 9 from 9 so for this season and the other club without leagues club backing, Kingsgrove is really struggling.

Last year St Johns players got nothing. They must have some sponsors this year as they have signed some useful players. They have some St Johns juniors but they also have veterans like Arthur Little and Damien Mostyn as well as experiened players in their mid 20's like Hekka Nanai and Karl Filiga.

This contrasts with Kingsgrove who I think have only 2 players over 21. They have based their club on being a Roosters Development squad. This might help the Roosters but it means Kingsgrove will be much weaker than a regular Bundy team.

And what a year it has been for Mostyn. In his 4th season with Mounties last year he was not given even one game in Bundy and this year he is captain of the undefeated comp leaders and near the top of the point scorers.

Last edited:
One question that's been bugging me, is where do St Johns get all their cash? I mean that don't have a big club behind them like the traditional JBC/BRC clubs, Cabra, Wenty, Windsor etc but they must be doing something right, I mean 9 from 9 so for this season and the other club without leagues club backing, Kingsgrove is really struggling.

Hoping to get there next weekend again when they play Windsor.

U will find alot of the St Johns players were St Johns juniors and have returned to the club at the back end of their career. Nanai, Azzi to name a couple. I think people are under the impression that they are being paid heaps. I don't think this is the case. Nanai and Ta'akimoeaka were not wanted by the Bulldogs NSW Cup side so they went to play for St Johns.

This contrasts with Kingsgrove who I think have only 2 players over 21. They have based their club on being a Roosters Development squad. This might help the Roosters but it means Kingsgrove will be much weaker than a regular Bundy team.

I have heard Kingsgrove may have signed a very seasoned player. I think he is older then Scott Hardy from Blacktown. Also heard Kingsgrove may have a top level ground for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Roland

Juniors
Team lists are up on NSWRL. Doesnt appear to be any pre 30 June signings.

Cabra have a few back from Newtown. St Johns have about 5 that missed last week against Auburn and Windsor are yet to name a team.

I suspect Windsor are submitting all of their State Cup players for player points rulings so they can see how many State Cup players they can put in Bundy this week.

slickrabbit

Juniors
Hearing rumours of a fairly big change at Burwood, regarding relationship to NSW Cup club. Don't know much more than that, unfortunately...

mono_mal

Juniors
In regards to St Johns there website mentions a 'Bundy Cup Business Club' and I assume this is where they gain the required funds. Sydney Bulls operated successfully for years with a similar model.

As already mentioned though they also benefit from a strong junior club with many past players returning to represent the Eagles in semi-professional rugby league. I'm yet to attend any Bundy Cup games at Begnell though Id assume they also supplement their income with gate takings as it is fully enclosed and they used to charge admission even for junior fixtures.

Regarding Burwood, they currently have a relationship with Balmain and have received excess NSW Cup players, and perhaps NYC players, this year. I suppose this relationship will be heavily effected by the outcome of current NSW Cup merger talks. Wests Tigers intend to field a combined NSW Cup club and its been suggested that Wests Magpies may enter a team in the BRC. It will also be interesting to see what involvement Ryde Eastwood Leagues Club have, as they currently finance the Balmain-Ryde Eastwood NSW Cup venture. Could we perhaps see a return of the Hawks? Or is it more likely that Ryde Eastwood will offer financial assistance to the Burwood-Ryde venture?

Roland

Juniors
Well there is a bit of Bulls DNA in the St Johns club. Arthur Little, Damien Mostyn, Holo Tonga, Conrad T, Steve Azzi, Chris Vaefaga and Josh Gill all played with the Bulls.

And the coaching staff - Darren Maroon, Andrew Bechara and Chris Salem all played with the Bulls.

I will take Slick Rabbit's advice on Burwood but I dont think they have received any State Cup players to date just some NYC.

slickrabbit

Juniors
BNRU have not received any Tigers' fringe NSW Cup players, due to the heavy injury to WestsTigers NRL/NYC and BRET this season, only NYC (most are not up to it physically) and that is one of the main reasons why they can't compete with the "big" boys.

I've now been told they decided to approach Western Suburbs to be their feeder club for the rest of the year, which means their surplus will play for BNRU. It also may give performing BNRU players the chance to play NSW Cup, I'm told, although my source says he's not too sure if this is true or not...time will tell

Roland

Juniors
I doubt that the 2012 Western Suburbs State Cup side would get near any of the top 6 in the Bundy Cup. Cabra beat them very easily in a trial at the start of the season.

Wests have been picking up players from Bundy and even Sydney Shield.

So excess Wests players may not add to the strength of BNRU.

slickrabbit

Juniors
Well, we'll soon find out as I've been told today that BNRU are fielding 4 Wests players this weekend against Workers...

Roland

Juniors
There are no games in the State Cup this week so say 4 Wests regulars play for BNRU this week, in the following weeks it will be the guys not picked in the 17.

Anyway, BNRU's opponents this week lost 84-0 last game so an easy win is in prospect regardless.

Hope the arrangement works well.

Cabra smoked Auburn 48-4 2nite, they had the game won at ht leading 30-4

Cabramatta 48
Tries: F Vaiotu 3, J McGrady 2, D Barakat 2, S Houma, S Aiga
Goals: S Aiga 6/9

Auburn 4
Tries: D Minute
Goals: J Gray 0/1

Sydney Shield

Cabramatta 48
Tries: B Davies 2, D Reardon 2, H Katoa, J Ferguson, J Iosefa, R Jager, D Cray
Goals: R Jager 5/6, B Davies 1/3

Auburn 20
Tries: P Maile, H Hunt, A Boaza, A Elrich
Goals: I Abraham 2/4

CABRA ROCKS

Juniors
Cabra smoked Auburn 48-4 2nite, they had the game won at ht leading 30-4

Cabramatta 48
Tries: F Vaiotu 3, J McGrady 2, D Barakat 2, S Houma, S Aiga
Goals: S Aiga 6/9

Auburn 4
Tries: D Minute
Goals: J Gray 0/1

Sydney Shield

Cabramatta 48
Tries: B Davies 2, D Reardon 2, H Katoa, J Ferguson, J Iosefa, R Jager, D Cray
Goals: R Jager 5/6, B Davies 1/3

Auburn 20
Tries: P Maile, H Hunt, A Boaza, A Elrich
Goals: I Abraham 2/4

Hey Guys..''Don't Write Cabra Off as Contenders Yet..'Were Still In It''

Roland

Juniors
Trevor Schodel pulled the boots on for the first time in 5 years running around in the Colts 56-0 loss to Mounties

He may be older than Hardy. He was playing in the Brisbane comp in 1989.

Other scores:

Windsor 40 St Johns 28
Blacktown 56 Burwood 34
Wenty 20 Entrance 10

Table

St Johns 18
Wenty 15
Mounties 14
Cabra, Windsor 13

Entrance 12
Auburn 7
Burwood, Blacktown 4
Kingsgrove 0

The Entrance v Wenty will be on Foxsports on wednesday afternoon.

Trevor Schodel pulled the boots on for the first time in 5 years running around in the Colts 56-0 loss to Mounties

I happened to be in the area and caught the 2nd half of this game.
Trevor may want to rethink his retirement, he saw hardly any ball, didnt do much with what he got, and was little more than a speed hump in defence.

This game was classic boys v men with most of the Kingsgrove team looking scared whenever the big Mounties forwards got the ball.

Sorry to be so blunt but it was terrible to see at this level.

Latest posts