What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Dally M Awards Thread - live FOX 8:30pm

Who will win the Dally M in 2012?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nrlnrl

First Grade
They should really scrap player of the year and have two major awards, dally m back of the year and dally m forward of the year

The system is way, way too slanted towards rewarding the skillset of backs. It requires something completely different as a forward. When is the last time a forward won Dally M player of the year? Even if deserved

yeah, forwards have only won it 5 times

Ray Price in 1982, Gavin Miller in 1988 & 89, Danny Buderus in 2004 & Cameron Smith in 2006

Garts

Bench
They should really scrap player of the year and have two major awards, dally m back of the year and dally m forward of the year

The system is way, way too slanted towards rewarding the skillset of backs. It requires something completely different as a forward. When is the last time a forward won Dally M player of the year? Even if deserved

Cam Smith but hookers are like backs in terms of being play makers.

IanG

Coach
Ben Barba was that far ahead they presented it to him with 2 rounds to go and also Fullback of the year

jonno_knights

Juniors

I Agree to a degree. Although I think you would find a Hooker would win forward of the year more often than not too.

Definately need something bigger than positional awards to reward the hard working locks/props/secondrowers.

Or an overhaul of the judging system... Problem is you could have a game finish 12-10, with a try being scored in the last 5 minutes. People will remember the main playmaker in that try more than they will the forwards who slugged it out for 75 minutes of the match, making 40+ tackles, and 15+ hitups...

Its in the same in most sports though, a QB will win MVP more often than not. They have DPOY, but i dont think there is anyone position that would be favoured like a 9 is in RL in terms of generating votes.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not gonna read the thread because no doubt it's a load of whingeing.

My thoughts

- Kasiano surprising. Woods, Graham or Tamou all should've been in there ahead of him IMO.
- Dogs deserved the "bluewash" this year. Far more than in 2009, when I think both the Dragons and Storm were shortchanged.
- Well done Benny Barba.
- Unlucky Souths, probably best headline moment IMO, that last minute win over the Roosters.

Trentosaurus

Juniors
Why are we even discussing the points system? Barba was a deserving winner regardless of how the votes are counted.

Save that talk for round one next season.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Not gonna read the thread because no doubt it's a load of whingeing.

My thoughts

- Kasiano surprising. Woods, Graham or Tamou all should've been in there ahead of him IMO.
- Dogs deserved the "bluewash" this year. Far more than in 2009, when I think both the Dragons and Storm were shortchanged.
- Well done Benny Barba.
- Unlucky Souths, probably best headline moment IMO, that last minute win over the Roosters.

This.

Ben Barba truly deserved this award. I dont think Ive seen player have a huge lead at the finish since Andrew Johns.

Well done to the bloke and I thought he spoke well at the end.

The fullback of the year award was no brainer, but how about the other contenders?? Inglis, Slater, Bowen. All those players have been terrific form.

Timmah

Staff member
Him too. Just don't understand the Kasiano over Graham as a nominee more than anything.

Any of them would've been worthy winners.

Timmah

Staff member
Not all players, but the top ten is in the first post.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Well 156 is closer than 52, he still makes a valid point, even with the maths failure
Spliting hairs. A maths fail is a maths fail. My mistake anyway.

My point stands though. They still have the lion share when you take into account in each game there are 32 other players who could get points. If the dogs won the minor by 6 or 8 points and a massive for and against difference over the nearest, I would agree. I just disagree with Centre and Prop. I didn't really like the 2nd row award much either. I could have settled for Myles getting the prop and another 2nd rower getting the chocs.

Barba deserved his awards though. In the end at least the right result for the big one was found.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Tamou - 150.7m/game
Woods 138.8m/game
Scott 137.25m/game
Matulino 126.5m/game
Kasiano 97m/game
McGuire 99.7m/game

Right, Didginub, this is the second time you've left Trent Merrin out of a props analysis, and I won't stand for it anymore! You and I are going to have words! (131.5 metres per game, for the record). ;-)

dogslife

Coach
Spliting hairs. A maths fail is a maths fail. My mistake anyway.

My point stands though. They still have the lion share when you take into account in each game there are 32 other players who could get points. If the dogs won the minor by 6 or 8 points and a massive for and against difference over the nearest, I would agree. I just disagree with Centre and Prop. I didn't really like the 2nd row award much either. I could have settled for Myles getting the prop and another 2nd rower getting the chocs.

Barba deserved his awards though. In the end at least the right result for the big one was found.
I'm not arguing with you there, and if you read back you'll see I said Kasiano wasn't even the best prop at our club let alone the league. Morris I don't have as much problem with, I picked Lyon because he's clearly the best, but people are laughing at Morris' selection like he didn't even deserve a mention. He'd be number 2 after Lyon for sure as far as I'm concerned. Can't disagree with Myles' selection though, despite only playing a handful of games in the second row, he's been outstanding this year

ByRd

First Grade
I can't believe the people earlier on in the thread laughing that Pritchard had even been nominated for second rower of the year, just lol have you guys not seen him play at all this year, clueless. Whinging for the sake of it.

Latest posts