What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Team

mxlegend99

Referee
Round 1 is almost certain to be:

1. Moylan
2. Mansour
3. Idris
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Grant
9. Kingston
10. Kite
11. Brown
12. Docker
13. Taylor

14. Plum
15. McKendry
16. Peachey
17. Segeyaro

Between injuries and form from the games so far, it's pretty much the only team we can pick. Kevin Naiqama is the only fit legitimate contender for a first grade spot in the backline, and he's easily well behind the other boys based on his form for us. Forwards? All injured or not a contender just yet.

mxlegend99

Referee
Agreed. I think this was always Full strength Round 1 line-up, with the only spot up for grabs being Robinson / Docker / Peachey fighting for one spot on the bench and Manu starting in Dockers place. I think Cleary would have very slowly altered it to bring in Kev, Nabouli, Roberts and maybe seen a bench spot rotating between those guys rather then sticking with one of them.

murraymob

Coach
the twist with the injuries could mean DWZ being brought up faster from u20 to reserves to cover the injured players

Bob

Juniors
After watching the nines on the weekend I dont think either Moylan or Nabuli did themselves any favours
With that in mind I would go with
1. Moss
2. Jennings
3. Idris
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Segeyaro
10.Kite
11.Brown
12.VTK
13.Taylor
14.McKendry
15.Peachey
16.Anderson
17.Robinson

Big Mick

Referee
Jennings is out for a while with a dislocated elbow apparently and Eto Nabuli is out with MCL strain according to Gus' twitter.

So looks like it'll be:

1. Moylan/Naiqama
2. Mansour/Naiqama
3. Idris
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Segeyaro
10. Grant
11. Brown
12. Robinson
13. Taylor

14. McKendry
15. Plum
16. Peachey
17. Docker/Kingston/VTK

franklin2323

Immortal
Jennings is out for a while with a dislocated elbow apparently and Eto Nabuli is out with MCL strain according to Gus' twitter.

So looks like it'll be:

1. Moylan/Naiqama
2. Mansour/Naiqama
3. Idris
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Segeyaro
10. Grant
11. Brown
12. Robinson
13. Taylor

14. McKendry
15. Plum
16. Peachey
17. Docker/Kingston/VTK

Yeah that's usually 3-4 week injuries. Round 3 should be the earliest. Robinson's done rib cartliage so maybe right round 1 but limited trials mean he will start in NSW Cup you would think

chrisD

Coach
I don't think Docker and Taylor in the same team is much use. If both do play I hope Taylor plays wide when they are both on.

Big Mick

Referee
Robinson is injured too.

I thought Robinson was due back before round 1?

Apologies, I thought I read that somewhere.

If true and wont be available then I dunno what we'll do. Damn we got some injuries already. Probably Nathan Smith or Kingston or someone like that.

Last edited:

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I just went off info from the injury thread. I want him back too, because I would have him starting as well. I rate him.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
it seems like some of our new players are going to need some time to get used to playing in our team k naiqama and peachey seem to be struggling a little so far. Maybe we all should tone down our excitement a little to avoid early season disappointment. It might take the first half of the season til we really start to gel as we do have a lot of new players. Just my opinion tho hope im wrong

mxlegend99

Referee
My excitement of those new recruits has faded already (Naiqama especially, slightly with Peachey.). I expect they will kick on with us, but they don't look as good as they did at their previous clubs yet.

Fortunately we still have guys like Jamal Idris, Elijah Taylor, Brent Kite, Jamie Soward and so on who should be dependable atleast while we wait on those guys to settle in. Soward looked good in patches at the 9's, and considering the 18 min game - 4 hour break - 18 min game - 20 hour break - 18 min game - 2 hour break or whatever it was, you can't really blame him or any other players for looking a bit flat on that second day. Older guys especially would struggle keeping fired up with games being so randomly spaced apart.

Soward definitely showed more upside then the young future superstars in Kevin Naiqama and Tyrone Peachey. In a tournament which really should have suited them better IMO.

Also... why the f*ck did no one try kicking 40/20s? It happened once or twice in 31 games. Considering all the space behind defensive lines, I can't believe the likes of Soward, Mullen, Johnson etc. weren't going for it early in tackle counts where the only thing that will stop them is an unlucky bounce. No way anyone is getting back in time to stop it.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I thought Robinson was due back before round 1?

Yeah but won't make this week's game. Given he had only 10mins 1st trial. Limited pre-season & our coach doesn't takes risks he will start in NSW Cup.

I rate him he'd be the 1st backrower I would pick followed by VTK so hopefully he's back quickly.

Cherrington's back from suspension this week. He's more of a chance then Robinson. Kingston will be our number 9 now. A backrow of Docker, Brown. Taylor adds nothing in attack.

Sege, Peachey off the bench until Robinson, Manu etc are back will be our spark.

Pomoz

Bench
Geez guys, give them a break. Four games of nines is no basis to write off Peachy or Naiquama. They deserve to be given 10 or 11 games to settle in and get a feel for how our team plays and what is expected of them.

mxlegend99

Referee
Kev was also aweful in his trial for us. If they're going to start slow, it should be in reserves. Mansour and Simmons can be relied upon to do a good job. These guys only deserve to replace them when they're going to do a much better job.

franklin2323

Immortal
Geez guys, give them a break. Four games of nines is no basis to write off Peachy or Naiquama. They deserve to be given 10 or 11 games to settle in and get a feel for how our team plays and what is expected of them.

No one is writing them off. The whole talk the off season has been whether our 2 stable wingers in Mansour/Simmons. Can hold off the young guys with far more talent. The answer so far is not even close...whether that is the case mid season we will soon find out.

MX is right both were terrible the Tigers trial. Though only early days what til the can ease into their normal games they should be great

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah i find a back 3 of Moylan, Simmons and Mansour to be too slow and lack any excitement. But honestly, theyre the safe options and the exciting options haven't set the trials or 9's games alight like they should have.

I want Kev, Naboili and Roberts to teplace them. But not before they're actually going to strengthen the team.