What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 NRL Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

applesauce

Bench
^^^

I was thinking why leave the All Stars jersey blank (no-one has ever sponsored it anyway).

So the NRL have 2 options.

1. Just like each players having a personalised jersey (i.e. club logo/number on the shoulders) why don't each player in the ALL-Stars have the Main Sponsor from their club jersey on the front. This is a good PR move for the sponsors of NRL clubs to get an extra prime time FTA game of exposure (valuable for teams like Raiders, Storm, Titans and Sharks). It may make it more attractive for other companies to come into the game after seeing the positive treatment or cause some companies to want to upgrade their package with clubs creating more competitive tension.

2. Put "Learn Earn Legend" on the front of the All Star Jersey too. Celebrate a good initiative for closing the gap and is a good PR move the NRL towards the public image.

mt.wellington

Juniors
Warriors produce great jerseys, wonder which club sells the most?

Appreciate it was a rhetorical question BUT...

As told to the Warriors members forum in 2013 by then Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah.

Warriors make up 25% of the NRLs merchadising revenue. Next best is the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on 12%. Between our two clubs we make up close to 40% of the NRLs total merchandising revenue with the remaining 14 teams making up the balance.

Just thought Id share so you had something to really bore the hell out of your mates next time youre all drinking...

Walt Flanigan

Referee
This is the Raiders ANZAC jersey. I'm not sure about it but it's a lot better than the camo one anyway.

7c3dd8409845337d5d76e4d9928579d0.jpg

Canard

Immortal
Appreciate it was a rhetorical question BUT...

As told to the Warriors members forum in 2013 by then Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah.

Warriors make up 25% of the NRLs merchadising revenue. Next best is the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on 12%. Between our two clubs we make up close to 40% of the NRLs total merchandising revenue with the remaining 14 teams making up the balance.

Just thought Id share so you had something to really bore the hell out of your mates next time youre all drinking...

I can't believe that Stat is even remotely true.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Makes sense, Warriors make a billionty jerseys, even see them around Australia on a regular basis. Bulldogs always have claimed to be the best-selling team in Australia as well.

Canard

Immortal
Makes sense, Warriors make a billionty jerseys, even see them around Australia on a regular basis. Bulldogs always have claimed to be the best-selling team in Australia as well.

Makes sense? Highest selling is one thing combined market share another.

To say those two teams account for 40% of ALL merchandise sales, at face value seems hard to believe.

I would wager that the Broncos and Souths would outsell the Dogs, for example, but I have no proof.

In fact according to this RLW article from Aug 2014 they aren't even in the top 5

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/australias-highest-selling-jerseys/

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
No way that stat is true.

NZ 25%
CB 12%

All other clubs (including popular clubs such as Broncs, Souths, Saints, Parra etc): average 4%.

No way

Lossy

Juniors
In fact according to this RLW article from Aug 2014 they aren't even in the top 5

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/australias-highest-selling-jerseys/
Interestingly, that link says the Warriors are the no1 Jersey seller in Australia. Borne out by there being no NZ teams in the rankings for the Super Rugby top 5. If NZ sales were counted you'd see an NZ team in there. Add in NZ NRL Jersey sales and it's entirely feasible for the Warriors to be at 25%.

Re the Bulldogs, well, we're talking about 12% in 2013 and there will be market shifts since. Souths memberships boosting theirs, etc. All I can say is that the Bulldogs are a popular team in NZ but unless we know the NZ sales figures needed to jump from outside the 5 in Aus to 2nd, then we're dependant on Mr Scurrah's figures. Context from memory was defending complaints from members about how many jerseys the Warriors made. He'd have no reason to inflate the Dog's figures and it's info he'd have access to.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Interestingly, that link says the Warriors are the no1 Jersey seller in Australia. Borne out by there being no NZ teams in the rankings for the Super Rugby top 5. If NZ sales were counted you'd see an NZ team in there. Add in NZ NRL Jersey sales and it's entirely feasible for the Warriors to be at 25%.

Re the Bulldogs, well, we're talking about 12% in 2013 and there will be market shifts since. Souths memberships boosting theirs, etc. All I can say is that the Bulldogs are a popular team in NZ but unless we know the NZ sales figures needed to jump from outside the 5 in Aus to 2nd, then we're dependant on Mr Scurrah's figures. Context from memory was defending complaints from members about how many jerseys the Warriors made. He'd have no reason to inflate the Dog's figures and it's info he'd have access to.

If you are saying 40% of NZ domestic sales, I could understand.

In terms of Australia, that seems totally ridiculous.

Saint Doc

Coach
Yeah the post is suggesting across Australia and New Zealand, one in every 4 jerseys bought is a warriors jersey. No way

Lossy

Juniors
Yeah the post is suggesting across Australia and New Zealand, one in every 4 jerseys bought is a warriors jersey. No way
1 in every 4 is indeed an insane amount of sales. I'm completely down with the skepticism. Who wouldn't be when talking those numbers?

I'm just going face value absent of other info: a link saying that the Warriors are #1 in Aussie-only sales, and a former CEO with an immense hard-on for selling merch passing on information to Warriors members in the face of criticism of ramming jerseys down everyone's throat. I'm assuming the numbers he got were from Canterbury's market data, presuming he only mentioned their teams in detail.

My understanding is that Scurrah inferred total NRL jersey sales. He could well have been talking about domestic, but Mt.Wellington would know context better than I. He recorded the event (I only listened to it).

If Scurrah wasn't plucking numbers from his arse or from an advantageous period of time then the Warriors are raking it in and are the merch equivalent of South Sydney's membership sales.

Would love more info and links to geek out to. Surely someone here knows more?

Last edited:

Lossy

Juniors
If you are saying 40% of NZ domestic sales, I could understand.

In terms of Australia, that seems totally ridiculous.

Would be 37% and, yes, that seems totally unreal. But we have a quote from a CEO and a link to add weight to the NZ part. Would love anything else to refute or corroborate. I have no stake in the outcome.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Storm must sell a shed load of gear. If you've been to a game at aami you'll know pretty much every fan there is decked out in gear. I'd have thought it would have been
Warriors
Souths
Broncos
Bulldogs
St's

Surprised to see Roosters in there?

Latest posts