What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 NRL Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Canberra U20s...
trewilliams.jpg

I like it!! Easily recognisable, incorporates pars of the brand less prominent in the Main jersey (the blue and yellow) and the gimmick (the crayon-style colouring) is executed at a good quality.

Its not like the NRL needs MORE jerseys, but if the Raiders were looking for an away strip, this (maybe with white sleeves) would be awesome.

Saint Doc

Coach
Forget the crayon rubbish

That jersey with white sleeves, shorts and socks would be a good away jersey for the raiders.

What happened to GAZF?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

That jersey with white sleeves, shorts and socks would be a good away jersey for the raiders.

What happened to GAZF?

I just hate the look of these perfect lines that make the jerseys look like their made of plastic...

At least with this kind of texturing we get something that resembles the classic cotton jersey.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Canberra U20s...

I like it!! Easily recognisable, incorporates pars of the brand less prominent in the Main jersey (the blue and yellow) and the gimmick (the crayon-style colouring) is executed at a good quality.

Its not like the NRL needs MORE jerseys, but if the Raiders were looking for an away strip, this (maybe with white sleeves) would be awesome.

What happened to GAZF?

I just hate the look of these perfect lines that make the jerseys look like their made of plastic...

At least with this kind of texturing we get something that resembles the classic cotton jersey.

Nope, just nope.

For years we (Raiders fans) have been trying to get the Raiders to embrace some of the other colours in our colour scheme on the away jersey (namely blue and yellow), and you lot want them to go back to a majority white scheme simply out of some misguided nostalgia that makes you think that everything was better when you were young.

The current Raiders away jersey is no master piece, mainly because of the addition of the white triangle things at the bottom of the jersey, however it is a step in the right direction to properly representing the Raiders history, culture and brand as it's core group of supporters see it.

I like our under 20's jersey a lot, I wouldn't be against the NRL team wearing it or a similar design in future, however it doesn't fit the bill for an away jersey because it champions green and white as it's two main colours and as I said before the Raiders fans don't want that.

If Raiders fans were to get their way when it comes to Raiders jerseys then we'd have the majority green jersey being worn at all home games (excluding ones when we wear special jerseys) and most away games and an away jersey that features blue and gold heavily, but obviously with a fair smattering of lime as well, being worn in about one in 4 away games.

GAZF

First Grade
What happened to GAZF?

Still here, just busy.

Nope, just nope.

For years we (Raiders fans) have been trying to get the Raiders to embrace some of the other colours in our colour scheme on the away jersey (namely blue and yellow), and you lot want them to go back to a majority white scheme simply out of some misguided nostalgia that makes you think that everything was better when you were young.

The current Raiders away jersey is no master piece, mainly because of the addition of the white triangle things at the bottom of the jersey, however it is a step in the right direction to properly representing the Raiders history, culture and brand as it's core group of supporters see it.

I like our under 20's jersey a lot, I wouldn't be against the NRL team wearing it or a similar design in future, however it doesn't fit the bill for an away jersey because it champions green and white as it's two main colours and as I said before the Raiders fans don't want that.

If Raiders fans were to get their way when it comes to Raiders jerseys then we'd have the majority green jersey being worn at all home games (excluding ones when we wear special jerseys) and most away games and an away jersey that features blue and gold heavily, but obviously with a fair smattering of lime as well, being worn in about one in 4 away games.

I'd rather see the blue and gold de-emphasised for practical reasons. Four colours are difficult to integrate into a design, particularly when two are similar to one another (green and gold). You'd struggle to recolour the team logo in a tasteful manner for this reason. The blue and gold are also too bright imo, they could stand to be darkened a bit to take some of the saturation out of the blue and better differentiate the gold from green. The persistence with the green/white/blue/gold/white/green striping style also limits what you can do with the colours. Simplifying this to green/blue/white/gold/green makes the striping more flexible and matches what we've traditionally used on the shorts.

We have colour balance about right on the current home design. Too much blue and gold makes us look like a primary colour wheel when combined with our red sponsor and looks tacky to me. The blue and gold works better as a trim, as the club has worked out over the years. I get your argument about the club culture and history but we've never used these colours extensively in the uniform, possibly for the above reasons. The most I can can think of was the 2003-05 design:
51171908-jason-croker-of-the-raiders-in-action-during-gettyimages.jpg

Lime green should be worn about 16 times a year (8 home, 8 away) with a white secondary worn 4-6 times (with plenty of green and maybe a bit more blue and gold than the home) with the remainder of games for one-offs. If not white then I'd go for a blue jersey, yellow was a terrible idea and doesn't even contrast with the home design. It looks like someone pissed on the shoulders of a white jersey. I wouldn't have minded blue/gold on their own as clash colours except for the fact that there are two other teams that use them, so its best to just keep them in the trim.

steeden.

Juniors
Brisbane are wearing their heritage jersey again- at least the third time at home this season. Would love it if they made it their main Jersey

beave

Coach
1435277430128.jpg

Background information on the design

The story behind the design for this jersey begins with the epic journey over 1000 years ago of Maori on the Takitimu canoe across the Pacific Ocean, through Samoa, Tonga, Rarotonga and other Polynesian islands, to New Zealand. The paramount chief Tamatea was captain of the canoe.

Tamatea’s son Kahungunu settled in Hawke’s Bay, the home of the Ngati Kahungunu tribe today and the front of the jersey has a stylised figure of Tamatea with the face sublimated on the back as acknowledgement of Ngati Kahungunu who are to welcome the Melbourne Storm to Hawke’s Bay in the traditional way.

On the jersey are the colours of red and black; in Maoridom red is for chieftainship; black is for all the people. These colours are a reminder to uphold mana; not only the mana of those that came before but your own as well. Mana can be described as authority, power, influence, status, spiritual power, or prestige, individually or collectively.

On the front of the jersey the striking Melbourne Storm lightning bolts express the power of Tawhirimatea, the god of the elements who was called upon to protect the Takitimu canoe from ocean storms and to provide favourable winds for the journey. The lines that thrust up from the lightning strike indicate the harnessed winds of Tawhirimatea.

Polynesian and Maori patterns are integrated into the design to acknowledge the shared history of Polynesia through the Takitimu canoe and the flax weaving design on the sides signify the various cultures woven into the Melbourne Storm family.

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2015/06/26/harris_designs_storm.html

flippikat

Bench
Couldn't they have just worn black & white in recognition of Hawkes Bay colours? You know, like how the Warriors wore a black and gold "Wellington" jersey for a game in the capital a few years ago. ..

nqcowboy87

Bench
was just wondering about collars, who was the first one to do awasy with them and who was the last to have them. id say broncos the first to not have them and im gonna say the cowboys were the last to have them?

kdalymc

Bench
Lol, there were teams on and off since the 30's (made that era up) that have gone without collars.
That steelers pic and a lot of teams from that era also had no collars but soon went back to them.
For the 50th time