What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 ODI WORLD CUP discussion thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
Not far off really 5 months or so

Who would be in your 15 man squad?

Finch
Warner
Sunshine
Clarke (c)
SSmith
Bailey (vc)
M Marsh
Faulkner
Maxwell
Starc
Johnson
McKay
NCN
Haddin (w/k)
Lyon

I think that will be the squad or very close to it

Not sold on Lyon nor Maxwell. Bailey/Smith needs some runs

Bolters could be Cullum Ferguson or Lynn from QLD, even Voges

Id squeeze Harris in there if he pulls up well after the Indian test series

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'd throw in James Muirhead as a bolter. Looks to have a big future if treated right.

The rest of your squad looks pretty good.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If we get an injury or 2 to our bowlers I think James Pattinson would probably come in.

I think our No 6 is between Maxwell and Marsh. Steve Smith would be next after these 2 because he hasnt played any very good innings with the bat yet he is averaging just over 20, HS of 46.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If Watson and Clarke are injured and can't play all games, Phil Hughes would probably be a replacement.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I'd throw in James Muirhead as a bolter. Looks to have a big future if treated right.

The rest of your squad looks pretty good.

I thought of Muirhead but is just too green for mine, would be a massive bolter. Bowled well in a couple of t20i's and that's it really. Might get a few ODI at home to see how he goes on the big stage.

Lyon at this stage looks to be groomed as the main spinner

TheParraboy

Staff member
If Watson and Clarke are injured and can't play all games, Phil Hughes would probably be a replacement.

Depends on form leading up the world cup Id say

If guys like Maddinson, Klinger etc....are on fire they should be considered

Forgot to mention wild thing Shaun Tait, announced he is back for SA for the domestic one day comp, now he could be a wild card for the world cup

vvvrulz

Coach
Weird as it sounds it would be good to keep The Show in there.

He's the kind of guy that can steal a match from nothing, either that or get a golden duck.
Its worth having someone like that around

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We definitely need to find a spinner.

Its our biggest weakness imo.

TheParraboy

Staff member
We definitely need to find a spinner.

Its our biggest weakness imo.

Domestic one day comp starts next month, hopefully the state sides give one or two of their top spinners some good overs in a few games (If I was Lehmann id be urging they do that). Who knows we may unearth a goodie. Knowing our luck Hauritz will be the top spinner :crazy:

I wonder if the Fawad Ahmed experiment will continue by playing him in some home ODIs?

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
Suddenly we are filled with all rounders. Maxwell definitely the most hit and miss of the bunch, Marsh looks to be more reliable.

The ODI side tomorrow will go a long way to showing who our spinners will be.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If we get an injury to one or two of our fast bowlers James Pattinson would come in I think.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Our pace attack against india would be (if all fit)

Pattinson
Harris
Johnson
Siddle (if he can bowl high 130s plus, consistently, was dropped last test cause he couldnt)
Bird (cause of his McGrath like bounce and accuracy, dark horse to play tests unless injuries hit)

Johnson, Harris and Pattinson would all play world cup if they are fit for mine. Will depend a lot how they pull up after the tests and if they can play a few ODIs in the lead up to the world cup. Though last test is at the SCG 1st week of January, and the WC starts for Australia against England on Feb 14 :ls: , so good 6 weeks

roofromoz

First Grade
These have been out for a while now, but these awesome replicas from the 1992 world cup are on sale... about $60 RRP.

28358-cwc-2015-mens-australia-1992-replica-playing-shirt-740.jpg

Definitely going to pray to Santa for one.

If you look closer, it is the 1992 logo in appearance, but doesn't say Benson and Hedges World Cup 1992:

200px-Worldcupcricc1992.png

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/shane-watson-should-be-world-cup-no3-says-michael-clarke/ar-AA6KXJR

Steve Smith's 190 runs in the three-match one-day series against Pakistan included his maiden hundred and came with the added pressure of batting at No.3.

Smith, however, might still have work to do to claim a spot in Australia's World Cup XI on home soil in February.

Shane Watson's return from injury would squeeze Smith out of the No.3 slot and into the middle order where contenders are coming thick and fast ahead of next month's ODI home series against South Africa.

Skipper and No.4 batsman Michael Clarke is also poised to return after overcoming a hamstring strain.

"In regards to one-day cricket, if Watto is fit, he will come in and bat No.3," Clarke told reporters.

"He's been very successful there for us and I like him batting in that position leading up to the World Cup.

"Smithy's grabbed his opportunity with both hands in regards to one-day cricket.

"He's got an opportunity because we've got guys out injured. He'll probably go back down to middle order."

Clarke says his NSW teammate Smith can bat anywhere in the order.

"We can bat him in the middle order," Clarke said.

"He runs well between the wickets and rotates the strike really well if he bats at the death.

And then he's shown his class if he bats at No.3.

"If you get an injury, it allows you to fill either role.

"But, Shane Watson has done everything that has been asked of him over a long period of time in the one-day format batting at No.3 and I think he deserves the right to come back in and bat at that position if he's fit."

With Watson and Clarke to follow openers David Warner and Aaron Finch, Smith could be competing with excitement machine Glenn Maxwell and acting one-day skipper George Bailey for a middle-order role.

Bailey's 46 runs at 15.33 in the one-day series against Pakistan which ended on Sunday in Abu Dhabi continues a lean year for the Tasmanian, scoring 279 runs at 25.36 in 12 ODI matches.

Asked if Smith would be part of Australia's top six at the World Cup, Clarke said: "I wouldn't have a clue. I'm not a selector, thank God."

Seems Clarke wants Sunshine bat at no3 in the WC, but no idea about Smith cause he aint a selector, lol.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Watson has no current form to speak of and I wouldn't be using an international game to play him in.

I wouldn't be rushing him back in, he needs to find some form first.